2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just thought we'd have a thread for all news,articles,things happening this pre-season.

As some of you know, all the 1st to 4th year players have started their pre-season today.

But what was interesting was, Adcock was there too. By no means is he supposed to be there, I assume the club didn't ask him to be there, but what absolute professionalism from the bloke to be there for Day 1, even though it's for the other players, and show them how it's done.

This is why he's captain, and will be until he retires I feel.

Preseason%201.PNG

Good pickup Rubix, I think there's time periods with the AFLPA CBA where more senior players can't train until a certain date due to minimum rest periods but it obviously doesn't stop voluntary time. Noticed Green, Lester(?), Zorko and Bewick also there so they're also getting some extra training done.

But what was interesting was, Adcock was there too. By no means is he supposed to be there, I assume the club didn't ask him to be there, but what absolute professionalism from the bloke to be there for Day 1, even though it's for the other players, and show them how it's done.

This is why he's captain, and will be until he retires I feel.
Could it be that he is feeling a bit under the pump, so wants to set the standard?

Thought he had a great year as captain and just in general, why would he be feeling under the pump?
Agreed. Adcock is my number choice for captain. Rockliff can be a little bit silly. This was evident when he got suspended for little things that wasn't needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he had a great year as captain and just in general, why would he be feeling under the pump?
I thought he was very very shaky at different points but improved towards the end of the year. When you have 12 that can run through the midfield and a few key position players were does that put him on the list? Not top 10, maybe top 15, doesnt take much of an improvement from a young list for him to be on the outer.

Great year as captain? Could you point out a couple of things that made it great?

I thought he was very very shaky at different points but improved towards the end of the year. When you have 12 that can run through the midfield and a few key position players were does that put him on the list? Not top 10, maybe top 15, doesnt take much of an improvement from a young list for him to be on the outer.

Great year as captain? Could you point out a couple of things that made it great?

He is a small/medium backman. A role pretty much unaffected by however many KPP or midfielders we have, and a role we have little to no depth in. Outside of Adcock, you have Harwood or Golby and then....?

Also, a 5th placed finish in the B&F says he did somethings right...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a small/medium backman. A role pretty much unaffected by however many KPP or midfielders we have, and a role we have little to no depth in. Outside of Adcock, you have Harwood or Golby and then....?

C Beams would be up for that role too and granted Adcock plays a particular role in the team, but in terms of best 22 lets look at his fifth b and f place.

A) the polling is a mystery, polkinghorne got votes.

b) Rich, Redden, Leuenberger, Martin (and Staker but I will leave him out) all missed big chunks of the year and 4 players you could expect to finish up high

c)Adcock polled 117 votes
Taylor 114
Clarke 113
Green 110
Aish 99
Mayes 91
5 players it would be reasonable to expect to improve next year, all young, all had a good taste with games under the belt.

Of the newer players who would be a realistic chance of improving next year
Gardiner
Paparone
Close
McStay
C Beams
Golby (maybe)
Robertson
Cutler

Add
D Beams
Christensen
Robinson

Add it all up and he starts to look marginal, if his form drops at all. This is a good thing.

Adcock is not stupid and shows a number of admirable qualities, but I think realistically he knows he has to be at his best. Hence he shows up day one of training, which is professional. As I said before this is a good thing, means we have competition.

C Beams would be up for that role too and granted Adcock plays a particular role in the team, but in terms of best 22 lets look at his fifth b and f place.

If Adcock plays poorly, he would move out of the 'cemented best 22 spots' but I've seen nothing to suggest that will occur. The 5th place in the B&F says he had a good year last year, which for a player who has been pretty consistent with playing good footy over a number of years says he is likely to keep playing at that level.

And C Beams has never played anything like the role that Adcock plays. Yes, he or Dawson or whoever could step up/be remoulded to play that position but it is unlikely.

We have competition for spots, but not big competition for Jed's. If all those players come in, improve, etc. It doesn't affect Jed's role as they play in different spots.

Didn't see Andrews or Clayton in the video. Just assume that they were there and missed out on getting filmed?

Cutler will be an absolute gun down back. Get on the wagon early:)

Not that I think Jed would need to be asked, but I see no reason why the club wouldn't or shouldn't ask that he be there. I think it's only right that the captain be at the first day of training for the young blokes. That's what leadership is about and it should be expected.

I don't know why this is such a big talking point. If he wanted to turn up first day and train them he should be allowed to do it without a microscope being placed over his choice. He is still our Captain and one of the more valuable members of our team. He is not under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back