2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's true, but we already have Hanley out for a chunk of this season and I'd argue he's the best player on our list, so we're not injury free this year.

I remember in Vossy's last year he spoke a lot about respect - trying to earn the respect of opposition sides and the competition as a whole. He'd regularly say that you can only win respect on the field, and I completely agree with that.

Are things placed to potentially go significantly better than they did last year? Of course - but you could've made the same argument heading into 2013, so how it looks on paper isn't always how it plays out.

I hope there's a big turnaround this year, and we finally start climbing up the ladder - and in many ways I think we do have a list capable of doing that - but it can't be expected. Not until there's exposed form.

See you around Rd 8. We should have some idea by then

We had the toughest fixture last season as well. This year it looks like we have a very reasonable draw that should get us a few extra wins.
It was interesting that they had us with the 4th hardest draw. Found that a bit of a surprise.

It was interesting that they had us with the 4th hardest draw. Found that a bit of a surprise.
We only play one top 8 team twice this season which was the Kangaroos I think. We also have the fewest 6 day turnarounds as well and we only leave QLD once in the first 5 weeks. Great potential to start the season really well.

Would have to be the fourth easiest. Heard numerous times that our draw is one of the easiest in 2015.
We only play one top 8 team twice this season which was the Kangaroos I think. We also have the fewest 6 day turnarounds as well and we only leave QLD once in the first 5 weeks. Great potential to start the season really well.
This maybe true, but theoretically the fixture is handicapped, so other teams around us have a comparably easy draw, while others are meant to be relative.
I don't think we'll finish in the bottom 4 (or the top 8) and will be bitterly disappointed if we do.

I don't disagree with the assessment of this year being a struggle, but the comment we got more credit for last year than we deserve is absolute bullocks.

I reckon the only way anyone could say we're a chance for finals this year is if they give us more credit for last year than we deserve. And there seem to be a few around.

I reckon the only way anyone could say we're a chance for finals this year is if they give us more credit for last year than we deserve. And there seem to be a few around.

Or if they put a lot of weight on the impact of the inclusions. I don't think we're likely to play finals, but to add Beams, Christiansen, Rich and Leuenberger to a young side for which the incremental gains of a pre-season should be relatively high seems to me a fair reason to be optimistic we would be competitive.

I don't see finals being possible. It's just such a massive jump from where we have been the last few seasons. Great pick ups from the off season but I can't see it correlating to an extra 5 to 6 wins that we need. Our deficiencies have already been highlighted time and time again so need to go into that. If we end up bottom four again it will be a major disappointment. If we were to get to 9-10 wins I would expect that and anything above would be a bonus IMO. I don't agree with the 'round table' mob in that we will have 4/5 wins and stay bottom four. I think that those around us are going to show improvement bar St Kilda and this is why it will be difficult to make that jump up also. It will be interesting to see what they say about WB, if they pump them up then I will be quite surprised but then again they are in Melb. For me Collingwood big sliders and Geelong won't be leaving the top four just yet, especially if they can maintain their list. As we have been propping up the table my predictions for that area are in no particular order:
Bottom two
Saints, Melbourne
Next six
Brisbane, Bulldogs, Collingwood, GWS, Gold Coast, Carlton

The start of the year will be crucial for us, we could potentially be 8 and 2. Conversely we could be paddling up a brown river.

We are marked down severely because of the lack of key forwards, which I must agree with. The run and gun style will have to bring a lot of goals from the midfield for us to be competitive, however we could also turn it over a lot, which is why Paps will be important to cover the turnover rebound.

I dont think we will be bottom 4 our midfield is very solid and we have a good ruck combo. The defence looks fine, we just need to find a consistent avenue to goal, it may come from an unexpected source.

One major difference that I see with this year is that the competition as a whole is going to be far more even. The easy beats of the last few years aren't there this year. Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne and St Kilda (?) will all be better sides than in prior years and have valid claims for finishing higher. On exposed form, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port Adelaide and North you would expect to be at the top end, with a whole bunch battling for the middle ground. A whole range of factors will determine how that middle ground battle pans out. Injuries/availability of key players, taking your opportunities when they present themselves, and winning the close games as a few broad examples.

Where do we fit in this 2015 picture obviously only time will tell. Comparing us to last year, at this point you would have to say that we are well ahead. We are going into round 1 with a settled line up that has now had 3 competitive hit outs together. We have a comparatively light injury list with only Hanley a clear best 22 missing and those carrying injuries from last year and pre-season have been well managed to ensure that they are set for Round 1. Our draw on paper at least is better than last year.

If we can consistently have a core of 22-25 available, some of our young key position players can take the next step (McStay and Close please), we keep ourselves in the game until the last quarter and we win our share of the close games, then I believe that we can compete in the top part of that middle ground (if that makes sense). Is that likely to happen this year, probably not, however we have now put ourselves into a position where it can happen. As our young list develops and evolves you would hope that each year the probability of finishing higher up the ladder increases.

At least this year I am looking forward to the season ahead which I haven't always done in years gone. Time to earn back the Respect. Go Lions.

I don't see us being in the bottom 4 but if we are the pressure goes right on Leppa. There is a lot of love in the air with him but the results didn't come last year and if that continues this year there is going to be a lot more people questioning him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One major difference that I see with this year is that the competition as a whole is going to be far more even. The easy beats of the last few years aren't there this year. Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne and St Kilda (?) will all be better sides than in prior years and have valid claims for finishing higher. On exposed form, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port Adelaide and North you would expect to be at the top end, with a whole bunch battling for the middle ground. A whole range of factors will determine how that middle ground battle pans out. Injuries/availability of key players, taking your opportunities when they present themselves, and winning the close games as a few broad examples.

Where do we fit in this 2015 picture obviously only time will tell. Comparing us to last year, at this point you would have to say that we are well ahead. We are going into round 1 with a settled line up that has now had 3 competitive hit outs together. We have a comparatively light injury list with only Hanley a clear best 22 missing and those carrying injuries from last year and pre-season have been well managed to ensure that they are set for Round 1. Our draw on paper at least is better than last year.

If we can consistently have a core of 22-25 available, some of our young key position players can take the next step (McStay and Close please), we keep ourselves in the game until the last quarter and we win our share of the close games, then I believe that we can compete in the top part of that middle ground (if that makes sense). Is that likely to happen this year, probably not, however we have now put ourselves into a position where it can happen. As our young list develops and evolves you would hope that each year the probability of finishing higher up the ladder increases.

At least this year I am looking forward to the season ahead which I haven't always done in years gone. Time to earn back the Respect. Go Lions.
Welcome Soren, a well thought out, clear, concise post. I dont know if you will fit in here:D

It could well be like a first album. I've had a few years to work on the first one, the next one might be a bit rushed and less well considered. Either that or I will be back in 2017.

I'm at the White Album stage of posting.

This year compared to last:

Out: Hanley for half the year, Patfull (both huge losses), Brown, Crisp, McGrath (not so huge losses)
In: D. Beams, Christensen, Rich, Leuenberger, Martin, Redden (both played half a year), Robinson, Staker, McGuane, West, some first year players who may or may not make a difference.

This is overly simplistic and there will be more injuries coming during the year, but the in's and out's surely indicate significant improvement.

Bewick, Merrett, Golby, McStay (only played 9 games) and C. Beams (love him in defence) are players that I think will significantly improve their output this year for various reasons.
Then there's a massive group of 19-22 year olds that will probably improve but could go backwards. Still I think overall improvement from players in this age bracket is very likely.
Last year 10 players debuted, but this year we might get 1, 2 or 3. The depth has improved significantly this year. M & NRobbo, Cutler, Golby, Maguire, ZOB, McGuane, Paine, Staker, West, Dawson and McGrath are outside my predicted 22. All of them would be able to play a role pretty reasonably if called upon for round 1.

So this year there's more top end talent, more depth, more players closer to the prime of their careers, less greenhorns and less injuries. We also know our game plan and teammates a little better, the easier draw helps and we probably won't get a shambolic start to the season like we did last year before the bye.

I think that really obviously points to improvement, but with so much change it's really difficult to foresee just how much. I'll be shocked if we finish below about 13th, but it wouldn't surprise me if everything clicks and we finish a lot higher than that. Ladder position isn't the main thing though. As long as the team gels, we get some decent crowds and our young guys are showing signs and wanting to stay in Brisbane, I won't be too disappointed.

Well that's my pre-season overdose of hopium over. Hopefully in a month's time I won't be moving into the mid-season depression stage.

Assuming no more critical injuries, I believe we're more likely to finish top 8 than bottom 4. I know that's like saying I'm more likely to win Eurovision than the Brownlow but I see nothing in our list, recruitment, development, form or fixture that suggests we will stagnate or go backwards.

By far the highest possibility is that we'll finish 9th-14th but I just don't see bottom 4 as a risk, assuming an ok injury run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back