Review 2015 Pre-Season review

Remove this Banner Ad

I made a post in the NAB 3 game review which I realised is more suited to a thread like this
So lets have at it here... was it a success? a failure? What did we like or dislike?

Here is the post I was referring too

Not really sure what to think of our preseason overall.... some positives but I think more importantly the negatives appear to be the same issues as last year.
In a way I was happy Cocky struggled today, just to temper some expectations on him... that run straight up the middle of the ground just a tease of what he can do I reckon, could be a very good player early on at not doing much but what he does do changes the game.
The biggest positive of our pre-season for me easily is Mitch Clark, looks fit, looks happy and looks bloody dangerous. If we were offered 11 goals from him in 3 games we would take it every day of the week... especially with him being quiet in almost 2 of them... Looks so good when he has a run in the ruck... so so good

Bartel is going to win a s**t load of the footy if he plays in the middle all year.. and is smart enough with the ball to really hurt opposition teams.
Bews I think is progressing well, early on today he seemed to be using his run and speed well, played on a good player today as well and wasn't disgraced.

Negatives... Hyphen, Caddy and Murdoch all pretty average.. where they are starting to get to with time on the list and games I think we would expect more... and I am no closer to having a clue what we do with our number 1 ruckman

But 2 wins and a tight loss, 2 weeks to the real stuff... exciting times

Absolutely agree that Clark was the highlight.

I was left a bit empty by the preseason really. Mainly because I was hoping to see signs of something more dynamic in the game plan to build on during the real season. I didn't see that.

Some good signs with some kids though.

Absolutely agree that Clark was the highlight.

I was left a bit empty by the preseason really. Mainly because I was hoping to see signs of something more dynamic in the game plan to build on during the real season. I didn't see that.

Some good signs with some kids though.
much like many of our wins last year for me....

Hyphen, Caddy, Murdoch.

Expected more and left wanting.
Not ready to burn them at the stake yet but they are also not getting knocked out of their spots by anyone else either.

Can't expect too much from this years draft class yet but its been good so far. NC5 has the tools but the expectations need to be tempered a little. Gregson came back to earth yesterday too. All fine and acceptable. Gore pushing hard in the VFL. Good things to come from all 3. Cunico too but longer path.

Lang, although not starring, has done some good things especially defensively with the pressure and tackles. Had some nice involvements creating scoring chances for us to. Great vision in the play.

Clark has been a gold mine. Im just waiting for the form to settle a bit but even if it does, then Hawkins says thank you very much and finally gets toplay one on one. Adding a Walker (who is red hot int he VFL) could be a masterstroke of stretching other back 6's or create the most rebound goals ever seen iin the AFL/VFL.

The demise of Bartel and Kelly may have been called a little early. Both, while its been preseason so take that for what its worth, have come out firing rockets at the idea that they are cooked. Its early sure and its a long season but so far so good.

And Jed Bews. Thank god he's come on. He's not brilliant. He's not a top pick. He just works really really hard. I think every time I've seen him do something it looks like full 100% effort and commitment.
And he's building in confidence too. 2 weeks in a row he's pushed forward and had running shots at goal from 50. Hit the post and just missed. It's gonna happen for him soon. He's strong, hard, fast and tenacious. Lots to like where this is going. Runs in the family.

Go Catters

Last edited:
Lang, although not starring, has done some good things especially defensively with the pressure and tackles. Had some nice involvements creating scoring chances for us to. Great vision in the play.

And Jed Bews. Thank god he's come on. He's not brilliant. He's not a top pick. He just works really really hard. I think every time I've seen him do something it looks like full 100% effort and commitment.
Just want to reiterate on these points. Lang and Bews have been really really solid. They work hard and hustle hard. Always tackling, chasing opponents and doing what is needed. Putting pressure on the opposition.

I think perhaps it is why they are in the team over some others. That defensive pressure and accountability that they bring to their respective ends of the grounds. Plus they are both nice kicks. Lang especially has set up a bunch of goals.

Just want to reiterate on these points. Lang and Bews have been really really solid. They work hard and hustle hard. Always tackling, chasing opponents and doing what is needed. Putting pressure on the opposition.

I think perhaps it is why they are in the team over some others. That defensive pressure and accountability that they bring to their respective ends of the grounds. Plus they are both nice kicks. Lang especially has set up a bunch of goals.

For mine, Bews is in. Done deal. Take Poopy v Hawks.

having watched the game again, I thought Lang was better than I gave credit for. Every effort of his is good. Watching Selwood tackle I can Lang copying him.
It would be nice, if just once, Motlop put in the same defensive efforts.

Go Catters

It would be nice, if just once, Motlop put in the same defensive efforts.
Agree 100%. I'm worried that he's gonna run out of AT&T minutes any moment now. He's totally phoning it in.

Agree 100%. I'm worried that he's gonna run out of AT&T minutes any moment now. He's totally phoning it in.

I get that its preseason and all. Point taken. But Selwood is the one that could take note there. Not the outside butterfly that loves to dance and be pretty but never once get involved. NC5 has made him look bad defensively.

And whilst I in no way want to see Mots in anything but the hoops, if he goes all money grab on his next contract deal I could see the club not matching his massive offers and letting him go. NC5 has shown, defensively, more intent than Mots at this point.

Again, i'll say it clearly. I am in no way wishing Mots to leave. Nor do I think he is crap. Im just saying I wish I could see more endeavour defensively from him.

Go Catters

Yep agree mate. Both solid and deserving of Rd 1 spots IMO. Lang especially has impressed me with some of the nice things he's done plus his great tackling and pressure. He is like a cat over the first few steps when after an opponent with the pill, and can change direction at pace.

For me, while I am certainly a little underwhelmed from a game-plan point of view, as catempire mentioned, I feel all in all the preseason has been pretty good, considering three things:

1. Clark
2. Cocky
3. Fewer injury setbacks overall compared to recent pre-seasons

I don't think there has really been much change to the Geelong ethos or approach. Now Chris Scott would argue we won 17 games last year and with some improvement in personnel we can close the gap. I think in that sense Clark and to a lesser extent (immediately anyway) Cockatoo and Lang have shown that will improve our playing stocks in areas that we were deficient.

Disappointments for me were Murdoch, the positioning of Smedts, Horlin-Smith and Stanley not being fit.

Positives were Bartel in the midfield, Clark, Cockatoo and little glimpses from Simpson (that may be only for the true believers....).

And he's building in confidence too. 2 weeks in a row he's pushed forward and had running shots at goal from 50. Hit the post and just missed. It's gonna happen for him soon. He's strong, hard, fast and tenacious. Lots to like where this is going. Runs in the family.

Completely agree. And you can see how much it burns every time he loses a contest. Has really improved out of nowhere in the last year and a half. Easily plays Round 1 as far as I can tell. See no reason to think he won't get better with more games either.

Completely agree. And you can see how much it burns every time he loses a contest. Has really improved out of nowhere in the last year and a half. Easily plays Round 1 as far as I can tell. See no reason to think he won't get better with more games either.
Yep he's a pure competitor it seems... you can see it in the way he smacks his hands together and berates himself if he doesn't win the contest/fumbles/turns it over

Considering the tough draw we have from the get-go, it's pleasing to see the old guard somewhat 'in form' and ready for the first number of games. They may just get us over the line when needed, yet again. The younger 3-4 year players have still to step-up, but I'm quietly confident they will as the season progresses.

I just hope the MC keeps rotating the team in sensible fashion - picking a player on the merits of today - injury free - and not riding the older players into the ground. We seem to have better depth this year, which helps. It's a juggle, but has cost us dearly (both in games and players) the last 2-3 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep he's a pure competitor it seems... you can see it in the way he smacks his hands together and berates himself if he doesn't win the contest/fumbles/turns it over
From the HT school of defender happiness.
It's a good thing.

Go Catters

The other good sign for Bews is they seem to be giving him the big jobs - Menzel, Betts and Matera (I think). Shows a lot of confidence in him and that they intend to stick with him this year and let him learn the caper.

It worked wonderfully for Guthrie in 2013, and there's no better way to learn.
Just makes me a little rueful they didn't do the same with a key defender around the same time.

I'd give it an 8/10.
Still inconsistency problems.
Still contested problems.
GHS bit quieter than we had hoped.
Murdoch & Kersten our most disappointing.
Caddy a bit quieter than we hoped, but wasn't too worried about him, will play more middle during real season.

Positives:
- Bews really looked like he belonged that last game, mostly in the first half but still.
- Bartel in middle, 2015 Brownlow.
- Kelly in middle to a point.
- Taylor back to his best.
- Hawkins & Clark already working well together, especially NAB 3, 5 & 3 goals.
- Cockatoo & Gregson pushing hard for senior selection already.
- Gore, Kolodjashnij, Luxford getting some game time against better players.
- Most tall guys healthy, got to laugh that at the moment all our taller guys are healthy except for the one we thought would be the most durable (Stanley) :p

Agree with the general consensus thus far. There were individual highlights and some really positive signs from some of the new/younger players, such as Cockatoo, Gregson, Lang, and obviously Clark. But the wider problems that plagued the side last year still seem to be present - struggling to win the contested ball, struggling to win clearances, mid-game lapses that allow the team back into the game, concerns over the ruck setup. I really hoped that many of those issues would have been addressed during the preseason. You can't expect a quick fix, and perhaps these all couldn't be completely rectified in the space of one summer, but the preseason games gave little indication that measures had even been trialled to improve in these areas, with the exception of putting older hands in Kelly and Bartel back into the midfield.

Would have been nice if the likes of GHS and Caddy had shown more, as we really need them to step up.

I guess one of the biggest positives is that, with the exception of a seemingly minor finger injury to Clark, we came out of the practice games unscathed, and relative to previous years, the list looks reasonably healthy. Unlike last year, it doesn't seem like any of our more vital players will be starting from a long way back.

Gregson and Cockatoo are promising from what we've seen so far. Padraig Lucey is a dud. And if Mitch Clark keeps up this form, who knows how far we can go this year?
Brutal on Lucey... he is a bloke from another country who has played about 7 games ever

judge him on where he is at the end of the year

Still to reliant on the old brigade.Just as well they have big shoulders,I was looking for a bit more energy when coming out of the backline from kickins,didn't see them try anything different still flat footed and kicking to a contest.
The forward line will pull their weight with good supply and that's the challenge for those up the ground feeding it inside 50.
Selwood will again carry the on ballers.The rucks God willing will be an improvement on last year with out being match winners.The backline is still sold with the ball going in,comeing out not so assured,
Like baby rat down back,Clark just a wonderful start,Cockatoo will have Bruce looking for a mop more than once this season and Hawkins fair dinkum unbelievable,disapointed in Murdoch and Kerstens preseason and can only hope they are as well and work hard to turn it around.
The fade outs are still there and we still don't ice game when we are on top and that's a concern.
In summary a reasonable preseason,light on injuries,Ill give it 7 out of 10 and predict we will play some better footy this year than last but finish slightly lower on the ladder with 14/15 wins.

No-one has mentioned the improvement in Guthrie>? He was dynamic against the Blues…a real positive. Duncan was also a very good performer and looks ready to take the next step.

Caddy played a hell of a lot of time deep forward against the Blues…..he won't play there in Round 1…I have no concerns about him. Add Cockatoo, Lang, and Gregson…..and Gore looks a likely prospect ….Cowan's return…Bartel being stellar…Kelly showing form….and of course Mitch Clark….

Not sure how much more we could expect from the pre-season games.

No-one has mentioned the improvement in Guthrie>? He was dynamic against the Blues…a real positive. Duncan was also a very good performer and looks ready to take the next step.

Caddy played a hell of a lot of time deep forward against the Blues…..he won't play there in Round 1…I have no concerns about him. Add Cockatoo, Lang, and Gregson…..and Gore looks a likely prospect ….Cowan's return…Bartel being stellar…Kelly showing form….and of course Mitch Clark….

Not sure how much more we could expect from the pre-season games.
Guthrie was great, wasn't he? He's marvellous to watch when he's in that form. He doesn't produce it all the time or for 100% of games (yet) but hopefully that will come.

They moved Guthrie to half back in the 2nd half yesterday. Not sure what was behind that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back