Aug 17, 2010
Gold Coast
Jan 27, 2014
Gold Coast
Fridays Fox Footy round table tv show..
The boys were disscussing what the Suns need.. If anything..
They mentioned a Medium agile forward. Jack gunston/ Kyle langford type who can run, mark and get around opponents.
They said we are either 200cm tall or 175-180cm smalls. Nothing in between.
I know a few of us were saying this Pre draft last year..
See how 2015 goes n we'll reaccess our needs i guess.

Experimental

May 20, 2012
Green Bay Packers
They mentioned a Medium agile forward. Jack gunston/ Kyle langford type who can run, mark and get around opponents.
When they were talking about missing a medium marking forward, saying it's the only thing we're missing, I assume they're ignorant to the fact that Danny Stanley is playing forward this year and will be a huge benefit to us.

Stanley is 187cm and is a great marker. Trust the Fox Footy boofheads to miss something so obvious.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
Gold Coast
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

May 190
McKenzie 191
Cameron 190
Tape 191

Schade 196
Day 196
Hall 197

Jan 27, 2014
Gold Coast
Personally id always like to see either Martin or Bennell
inside the 50 or close to at any 1 time.
As for Tape or Hall playing as a agile half forward in the seniors not a chance.
May will be All Australian CHB this year
McKenzie will stay as our quarterback along with Malceski
Cameron doesnt look to agile or quick at all.. Has alot of footy smarts to learn too.
And Schade is pretty much a spud.

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
Gold Coast
May 190
McKenzie 191
Cameron 190
Tape 191

Schade 196
Day 196
Hall 197
In fairness, they were talking specifically about forwards, and our forward line. I tend to agree, as those guys listed are all better in the backline I reckon (except Hall, but I doubt he'll ever make it, hopefully he does, but got too far to go). A Goldsack/Gunston/Monfries (-to an extent) type would benefit us I believe.

Experimental on Stanley, he definitely could play that role. I reckon his best is as a bullocking mid who sits a kick behind the play though.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
Gold Coast
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
In fairness, they were talking specifically about forwards, and our forward line. I tend to agree, as those guys listed are all better in the backline I reckon (except Hall, but I doubt he'll ever make it, hopefully he does, but got too far to go). A Goldsack/Gunston/Monfries (-to an extent) type would benefit us I believe.

Experimental on Stanley, he definitely could play that role. I reckon his best is as a bullocking mid who sits a kick behind the play though.

I didn't hear the interview so fair enough, I do however think May, McKenzie and Cameron all have some chance of filling that role in the forward line.

Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys. Sorry to intrude, but I didn't see an SC thread. I was just wondering how Bennell is shaping for this season - I know he's had the calf setback early on, but how has he been since then? Really want to select him, but his durability obviously hasn't been great in his career so far.

Good luck for the season, and I hope we all see Gaz tear it up without any hiccups. Cheers.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Philadelphia 76ers
Hey guys. Sorry to intrude, but I didn't see an SC thread. I was just wondering how Bennell is shaping for this season - I know he's had the calf setback early on, but how has he been since then? Really want to select him, but his durability obviously hasn't been great in his career so far.

Good luck for the season, and I hope we all see Gaz tear it up without any hiccups. Cheers.
looking pretty fit, hardly seems like he's had any interruption at all. having said that, it was a fairly minor one. only a couple weeks off early in preseason. regardless, played every preseason game and did pretty well in all.

i think rocket's gameplan is going to suit him well too. i've got him in my sc team along with swallow, who i'm hoping will have a massive step this year. last year was his first real big year averaging 104, but he's only going to get better.

Jul 19, 2013
looking pretty fit, hardly seems like he's had any interruption at all. having said that, it was a fairly minor one. only a couple weeks off early in preseason. regardless, played every preseason game and did pretty well in all.

i think rocket's gameplan is going to suit him well too. i've got him in my sc team along with swallow, who i'm hoping will have a massive step this year. last year was his first real big year averaging 104, but he's only going to get better.
Thanks mate, good to hear. What is it about rocket's gameplan that you think will suit him, just out of curiosity?

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
Hello GCS. Can I get a quick reply to this question....
Who do you think has greater Job Security in the team for this year.... T Miller or A Saad?
The brains trust on the SC forum think Saad. I'm fairly ignorant on Miller so I cannot draw a comparison.

Thankyou for your time and good luck.

Corkie

Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Gold Coast United
Hello GCS. Can I get a quick reply to this question....
Who do you think has greater Job Security in the team for this year.... T Miller or A Saad?
The brains trust on the SC forum think Saad. I'm fairly ignorant on Miller so I cannot draw a comparison.

Thankyou for your time and good luck.

G'day, personally I think Saad is safer than Touk Miller. I went with him in my SC.

Touk should get a game until Dixon returns in Rd 2/3. Then I'm expecting us to return to our usual 3 tall fwd set up, leaving room for 3 crumbing fwds... Which include Matera, Martin, Bennell, Garlett, Hall, Boston, etc to choose from. Makes it tough for Miller to hold his spot.

Now that Kolo and Harbrow have moved up the ground, Saad seems to be the next in line to grab spot in the back 6. Still have guys like Lemmens & J.Glenn as running defenders pushing for his spot, possibly even Russell but no where near as much competition at the moment as our roving fwds.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Philadelphia 76ers
Thanks mate, good to hear. What is it about rocket's gameplan that you think will suit him, just out of curiosity?
last year, we fought for possession a little too much than we should have. we played alright and won a decent amount of games, but we would lose the possession count pretty much every match, along with countless other stats. from my understanding, rocket is looking at playing on more, generating more possession and moving the ball quickly.

last year, we would become stagnant at times, and just kick it down the line and hope for the best, which was easy for oppositions to set up to defend, meaning less chance of retaining possession.

faster ball movement should suit harley. he does his best work one on one with his opponent in open space, and with the fast ball movement, i reckon we'll find him playing in and around the packs to gain possession, before spreading and providing run forward. i haven't been able to watch any of our games on tv this preseason, but from the game i watched at metricon against the lions, it definitely seemed like his workrate had lifted a gear.