Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stuck my nose in at training this morning. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Johnno's big, shiny red scooter before? That thing is awesome! Great idea for a christmas pressie. He scootered himself up and down the length of the oval half a dozen times while I was there pushing off with his left leg. I got there around 9:30 so I might have missed alot of the session. Fyfe and Barlow ran laps together at a good pace. Griff and Crowls ran laps together and looked to be labouring, gotta love Crowls, always says hello. There were quite a few others running laps as you would expect. They then split into 3 groups, ropes, that thing where they drag a heavy weight across the ground and another group doing something indoors. The place was empty by 10:30

I think the scooter is new. He was walking slowly with a trainer last week.

That's unusual I thought to myself.
Michael Johnson on a shiny red scooter; One full size bicycle wheel on the front with a small pram wheel on the rear.
There was Johnno pushing off, on the scooter with his left leg from goal to goal. This was a kid's scooter customised for an adult.
With a bit of concern I note Michael has one calf muscle significantly bigger than the other but I felt better when I saw him having a bit of kick to kick using both left and right foot.

Grab the pink one JB, no no the pink one, Webber barks as Jacob picks up the coloured weight to swing as he takes exaggerated strides along the front verandah.
This intrigued me; two weights, one pink the other yellow, side by side. I had to find out so I moved over and picked up first, the yellow one. Probably 1.5 kilo I estimate, then the pink one. It is definitely heavier but maybe by only a kilo. Definitely not earth shattering stuff. My action drew a stare from Jason Webber.
Was he looking at me or somebody behind me.

Meanwhile, on a delightful sunny but cool morning two elite talents are knocking out laps that would have seen me sprinting to keep up.
Yes indeed MickeyB and Fyfe together, with again not a seagull in sight.
I got to wondering why it is, Nat seems to cover the same distance with less effort or more precisely, fewer strides.
Now, Mick isn't a Cliff Young shuffle by any measure but I believe I have the answer; Nat definitely lifts his knees higher when jogging.

I decided to give Webber a wink and nod of approval just in case he was thinking , " Hey Fred, whaddya reckon ? "
There didn't appear to be anyone behind me either as I crept back to lean on the yellow recyclable bin.

Go get'em boys, I'm off, I muttered while I pondered Clancee's weight loss. The fella has shed 5 kg I reckon.

I pause at the fence to watch Michael Johnson doing more kicking on my way out.

I've got it. I have the answer; the seagulls are going out in sympathy with Reggie. It is way too far to fly to Cockburn Central.

Reggie's lament. There will be no seagulls at Dockers training in Cockburn.

Comforting though it is, to see Michael Johnson kicking, but interrupted pre-seasons don't come much more interrupted than this, surely.
I think there was even a bell on the handlebars of the scooter. I chuckled to myself as i visualised Johnno singing "don't mess with my Toot Toot".

#ffcpreseason

Last edited by a moderator:

How long until watchers become a nuisance at training?

Now I don't believe the sun shines from the Hawks-clash-colour orifice of everyone at the Fremantle Football Club, I also don't believe we fans are their equals – or mates – or really wanted.

Someone'll end up getting chipped about it.

PM me for odds. Got some juicy ones and some smokeys that look cherry ripe for a $50 plunge.

Now I don't believe the sun shines from the Hawks-clash-colour orifice of everyone at the Fremantle Football Club, I also don't believe we fans are their equals – or mates – or really wanted.

PM me for odds. Got some juicy ones and some smokeys that look cherry ripe for a $50 plunge.

I think the new Cockburn training complex is odds on to have every one of its training sessions closed at this rate

So I parked at the oval today and nearly ran over RTB. Saw Kirky at the markets. Had my first Arbis Vanilla slice and bumped into Hill, Griff and Zarke ( doing his best Kareem Abdul Jabar impersonation) at the Leopold bottle shop. It's amazing what happens when you don't try!

He's had surgery has he not ?
I seen him on Wednesday and he was strapped up and in a sling but during training on Friday he stepped out of the club rooms just with a taped shoulder and said to one of the trainers he was going to do boxing then disappeared back in side.

I won't take that bet.

At this rate Fred will be disappeared by the Freo fitness staff before the NAB cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I parked at the oval today and nearly ran over RTB. Saw Kirky at the markets. Had my first Arbis Vanilla slice and bumped into Hill, Griff and Zarke ( doing his best Kareem Abdul Jabar impersonation) at the Leopold bottle shop. It's amazing what happens when you don't try!

I call lies here. The true believers who have tasted the heavenly delight that is an Abhi's vanilla slice know that it is spelled Abhi's.

I call lies here. The true believers who have tasted the heavenly delight that is an Abhi's vanilla slice know that it is spelled Abhi's.

It's also no longer Abhi's at the Freo Markets.

Yes it is still a bakery, but it ain't no Abhi's no more folks.

Edit: I see you went to the original Abhi's and not the one at the markets.

Well there's a house on a huge block next door, next to that is a gift shop and the girl that served me was, um, 'dressed for summer'!

Red Cross second hand shop and then Manna,s are next door and on the other side of Abhi,s is a side street.
Dont know where you were but dont think it was Abhi's .

The early training form of de Boer could be telling. With Crowley starting the year in the rehabilitation group and de Boer hitting the ground running literarily, the run with role in the team appears up for grabs. The preseason running form of Matty actually is very reminiscent of the running form Crowley showed in Lyon's first at the club when he turned his career around. Even those poster's who dont rate the value of TTHD would have to admit that the run with players have to get plenty of run in their legs to play their role effectively.

I went down to training with my young fella for a bit. MJ was walking laps and made sure to say hello making a fuss of my 8 yo, well done MJ.
A couple of things I noticed that haven't been mentioned:
Morra has a noticeable limp favouring his right side and looks a fair way off IMHO. He ran only a few laps then disappeared.

Sutcliffe can kick the footy. I watched him during the kicking drills/circle work - he really stood out.
Tanner also looked good hitting all his targets albeit with a slightly awkward kicking action. I have hope for him this year.

Fyfe and Barlow ran a heap of run throughs at about 3/4 pace and then pumped out lap after lap maintaining the speed. I got puffed watching them.
#ffcpreseason

Last edited by a moderator:
The early training form of de Boer could be telling. With Crowley starting the year in the rehabilitation group and de Boer hitting the ground running literarily, the run with role in the team appears up for grabs. The preseason running form of Matty actually is very reminiscent of the running form Crowley showed in Lyon's first at the club when he turned his career around. Even those poster's who dont rate the value of TTHD would have to admit that the run with players have to get plenty of run in their legs to play their role effectively.

De Boer would have a better extraction and center square ability than Crowley as well. If he could take on the tutelage of Kirk and develop his game in a similar fashion I can see a role for De Boer in the team.

Looking forward to seeing the "MJ Red Scooter" on the Fremantle team store website, along with colored weights and cardboard face masks of the regular training watchers to ensure the players feel at home on game day. Im picturing thousands of Fred Ziffel, Salim Malik, Sheriff, Harry Reems and E Shed masks in the crowd, resulting in a Jason Webber permanent death stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back