Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the last hour or so at training yesterday, not much to add.
I will never crap on anyone playing for the Dockers, they are all superstars, HOWEVER as good as Moller looked at times today at the end of training he was in a group of four running a few laps. The first lap he kept up, the second lap he was 25 m behind the group, one of the couches called out for he him to keep up. By the third lap he was 50m behind.

I will never crap on anyone playing for the Dockers, they are all superstars, HOWEVER as good as Moller looked at times today at the end of training he was in a group of four running a few laps. The first lap he kept up, the second lap he was 25 m behind the group, one of the couches called out for he him to keep up. By the third lap he was 50m behind.

who was in the group?

Was tossing up between shero ( a favourite ) & tanner ( needs support) but think will go the Moller ( looks like) he needs a bit my backing of the long shot. Only his second preseason. Get over to the saints board & see how longer is fairing, was pick 7 & traded to saints for 25 & year older takes time.

Was tossing up between shero ( a favourite ) & tanner ( needs support) but think will go the Moller ( looks like) he needs a bit my backing of the long shot. Only his second preseason. Get over to the saints board & see how longer is fairing, was pick 7 & traded to saints for 25 & year older takes time.
I'm not hanging crap, just stating what I saw. Every other player including the new kids looked sharpe, his body language looked bad. I saw him do some really good stuff with the ball.

I do not believe anyone on an AFl list does not try, I really don't. I watched Peel a bit the last couple years, I even got to a Peel reserves game at about 3/4 time just to watch him play. There just seems some part of the puzzle missing. Hopefully you right and once his tank improves he will come good.

I'm not hanging crap, just stating what I saw. Every other player including the new kids looked sharpe, his body language looked bad. I saw him do some really good stuff with the ball.

I do not believe anyone on an AFl list does not try, I really don't. I watched Peel a bit the last couple years, I even got to a Peel reserves game at about 3/4 time just to watch him play. There just seems some part of the puzzle missing. Hopefully you right and once his tank improves he will come good.
Must be hard for him, trying to add size and muscle to his frame, and also doing core training. The best part is that he is still very young and not
required to play for several years.
D Cox is probably the best example of what is required to make it, from such a poor fitness base, and what can be achieved with hard work.
From a Freo perspective Spider Burton is a good comparison.

Long hot session today.Missing Griff,Fyfe,Mora,Johno,Crowley,Zac,Sutcliffe,Luke .Maybe more that I cant recall.Sherrif might have more to add on the missing.D Pearce,Barlow and Sylvia ran laps. Pav and Sandi both had full sessions with Sandi looking slimmer and sprinting around like a newbie
Lachie was on the track and training well.Blakeley,Langdon,Irish and Weller all trained with Blakely and I reiterate in my opinion looking at the minute the best of the three.New drill today with the centre corridor from goal to goal cordoned of and teams on each flank bringing the ball end to end around the boundary,something I hadnt seen before
The laps run after the skill work were broken up into 4 groups with the quickest incl Ballard,Mz,Taberner,De Boer ,hill and Mayne who were both left behind by the first 4 mentioned.The slowest group consisted of Dawson,Moller and Vanderleur who was the runner distanced.Moller plodded but was a vast improvement on previous runs.Ballard being part of the elite group is a big plus for his future.
Sherrif hopefully will give his views on the session.

#ffcpreseason

Last edited by a moderator:
Long hot session today.Missing Griff,Fyfe,Mora,Johno,Crowley,Zac,Sutcliffe,Luke .Maybe more that I cant recall.Sherrif might have more to add on the missing.D Pearce,Barlow and Sylvia ran laps. Pav and Sandi both had full sessions with Sandi looking slimmer and sprinting around like a newbie
Lachie was on the track and training well.Blakeley,Langdon,Irish and Weller all trained with Blakely and I reiterate in my opinion looking at the minute the best of the three.New drill today with the centre corridor from goal to goal cordoned of and teams on each flank bringing the ball end to end around the boundary,something I hadnt seen before
The laps run after the skill work were broken up into 4 groups with the quickest incl Ballard,Mz,Taberner,De Boer ,hill and Mayne who were both left behind by the first 4 mentioned.The slowest group consisted of Dawson,Moller and Vanderleur who was the runner distanced.Moller plodded but was a vast improvement on previous runs.Ballard being part of the elite group is a big plus for his future.

Tabs is going to be an absolute nightmare to defenders next year!

I agree on Blakely salim. His kicking is sublime and very rarely misses a target. That new drill they did is what I have been meaning when I have said they have been doing 7 a side matches.

Sutty, Johnson and Son Son were in the gym today and came out at various stages. Whoever's playlist was on in the gym has a s**t taste in music. Lachie looked great today and the comparison was made to Boomer Harvey (the way he plays and nothing else) which I never saw before but I think it's quite a good comparison. The more I see of Blakely, Deluca and Weller the more I am loving our draft. All 3 look like they could easily play 10+ games this season if we get injuries and actually have an impact. A few of the guys started running laps earlier than the rest. Mundy and Subes were 2 of them who were running together. The others elude me although I'm pretty sure Duffy and Tanner were among them.

I said today I'm liking Hurley and he must have heard me as he looked up towards me with a smile on his face.
#ffcpreaseon

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree on Blakely salim. His kicking is sublime and very rarely misses a target. That new drill they did is what I have been meaning when I have said they have been doing 7 a side matches.

Sutty, Johnson and Son Son were in the gym today and came out at various stages. Whoever's playlist was on in the gym has a s**t taste in music. Lachie looked great today and the comparison was made to Boomer Harvey (the way he plays and nothing else) which I never saw before but I think it's quite a good comparison. The more I see of Blakely, Deluca and Weller the more I am loving our draft. All 3 look like they could easily play 10+ games this season if we get injuries and actually have an impact. A few of the guys started running laps earlier than the rest. Mundy and Subes were 2 of them who were running together. The others elude me although I'm pretty sure Duffy and Tanner were among them.

I said today I'm liking Hurley and he must have heard me as he looked up towards me with a smile on his face.

I've never seen an Irishman without a smile :)

Walters and Deluca missing too. Suban, Tanner and Duffy also ran a ton of laps.
I stayed for most of the main session. Rehabilitation group probably went inside before I arrived.
They did a lot of ground end to end transition of the football today. They have a new drill from last year where they practice transitioning the football from one end of the field to the other with defensive pressure. They made some mistakes, but genuinely the skills were very good. Spurr and Hanath both copped sprays for taking the wrong option. Big Jack is still hopeless below his knees.
It was the first time id seen the recruits in a session other than the running Saturday sessions. I was really impressed by Blakeley. His kicking is not perfect, but he moves really well in congestion, shows better speed then advertised and doesnt look out of place in battles of strength with senior players. His work received strong endorsement from Stone and Webb in clearance drills. Weller didnt miss a target and his kicking action is sublime. He reminds me of Wingard in the way he moves.
Im not saying it is definite, but there is chance of some positional changes next year. C.Pearce is back training with the mids and looking 5kg lighter than last year. Mayne also did some defensive work in marking drill activities against Apeness, Pav and Tabs. That might mean something, it might not.
Moller actually beat Vandeleur in the distance running. He is improving slowly and Vandeleur is a bit of a worry.
I know it has been said, but de Boer looks awesome. He dominated today in match sim play. Sheridan's skills were outstanding in windy conditions.
For those who like balance I also have to say Im not a big fan of how Mundy trains. He just never seems to extend himself as much as the others and his endurance levels are still significantly behind all of the other best 22 mids. In my opinion his inability to run with Wines when Port had possession of the ball cost us badly in our final game of 2014.
Mayne is another one who isnt as fit as he was in 2013. He is definitely fitter than the previos preseason, but significantly off his peak fitness. Apeness on the other hand has improved his running dramatically and matches A.Pearce step for step in distance runs.

Anyway, it was a really good solid session and there is definitely a big focus on full ground tranisition of the football in preseason 2014.

#ffcpreseason

Last edited:
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-16/lyon-delivers-on-demanding-preseason

I understand preseasons are not to be easy and not overly enjoyable most of the time but I sure hope that this "grueling" training that Lyon is dishing out doesn't affect the boys during the season too much. I'd hate for the boys to be burnt out come round 1. Can't remember which club it was or which year but I remember reading something about how the sluggish season was due partly to the intense pre-season they undertook.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-16/lyon-delivers-on-demanding-preseason

I understand preseasons are not to be easy and not overly enjoyable most of the time but I sure hope that this "grueling" training that Lyon is dishing out doesn't affect the boys during the season too much. I'd hate for the boys to be burnt out come round 1. Can't remember which club it was or which year but I remember reading something about how the sluggish season was due partly to the intense pre-season they undertook.
Name a preseason which wasn't "the most gruelling ever".

Port were the strongest finishing team last year, and attributed their turn around in the last 2 seasons to Darren Burgess coming back on board. He's upped their loads dramatically apparently, and has been quoted as saying that athletes can comfortably tolerate much higher training loads than previously thought. They get flogged in PS and it seems to work for them. I'd rather we over train than under train.

Wow, apeness matching apearce in distance running is an amazing feat for someone of his build. Pearce is a freakish running machine, if a 15kg heavier apeness it hitting that pace bracket too then I'm frothing over his ability to outlast defenders on the back-and-forward that our game plan involves.
Good signs for the young man

Name a preseason which wasn't "the most gruelling ever".

Port were the strongest finishing team last year, and attributed their turn around in the last 2 seasons to Darren Burgess coming back on board. He's upped their loads dramatically apparently, and has been quoted as saying that athletes can comfortably tolerate much higher training loads than previously thought. They get flogged in PS and it seems to work for them. I'd rather we over train than under train.

Yeah, fair calls.

I would obviously make a terrible football coach.

Walters and Deluca missing too. Suban, Tanner and Duffy also ran a ton of laps.
I stayed for most of the main session. Rehabilitation group probably went inside before I arrived.
They did a lot of ground end to end transition of the football today. They have a new drill from last year where they practice transitioning the football from one end of the field to the other with defensive pressure. They made some mistakes, but genuinely the skills were very good. Spurr and Hanath both copped sprays for taking the wrong option. Big Jack is still hopeless below his knees.
It was the first time id seen the recruits in a session other than the running Saturday sessions. I was really impressed by Blakeley. His kicking is not perfect, but he moves really well in congestion, shows better speed then advertised and doesnt look out of place in battles of strength with senior players. His work received strong endorsement from Stone and Webber in clearance drills. Weller didnt miss a target and his kicking action is sublime. He reminds me of Wingard in the way he moves.
Im not saying it is definite, but there is chance of some positional changes next year. C.Pearce is back training with the mids and looking 5kg lighter than last year. Mayne also did some defensive work in marking drill activities against Apeness, Pav and Tabs. That might mean something, it might not.
Moller actually beat Vandeleur in the distance running. He is improving slowly and Vandeleur is a bit of a worry.
I know it has been said, but de Boer looks awesome. He dominated today in match sim play. Sheridan's skills were outstanding in windy conditions.
For those who like balance I also have to say Im not a big fan of how Mundy trains. He just never seems to extend himself as much as the others and his endurance levels are still significantly behind all of the other best 22 mids. In my opinion his inability to run with Wines when Port had possession of the ball cost us badly in our final game of 2014.
Mayne is another one who isnt as fit as he was in 2013. He is definitely fitter than the previos preseason, but significantly off his peak fitness. Apeness on the other hand has improved his running dramatically and matches A.Pearce step for step in distance runs.

Anyway, it was a really good solid session and there is definitely a big focus on full ground tranisition of the football in preseason 2014.

#ffcpreseason

Already liked Weller, but this is kind of exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back