Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone who thinks our players are overpaid Nancy boys. Crowley is playing kick to kick over the fence with half a dozen kids in his recovery time. The kids are loving it!

We have some good young men down here!

He was having a chat to some children down there the other day. Quality person. That would be below Steve J and Co.

For the regular training watchers, who would be the 3,2,1 votes for the TTHD award so far.

Sound like it could be:
3. Tabs
2. Crozier
1. Sheridan
Unlucky Deboer/A.Pearce/Mayne

Clancee surely

Ps...haven't seen 1 training session

But by photos hes dropped a swagnof weight

Attended training this morning. Did not see any of the usual suspects watching training.

Did not see Pav, Sandi, SonSon, Zac D, Croz, Sylvia. (Sometimes it is hard to tell under hats, zinc etc).

Luke, Clancee and Hannath looked really slimmed down. It seemed to me it might have benefited Hannath's athleticism (which was sorely needed) - he seemed to be moving more smoothly.

Watched the marking contests as described above. SOS was doing really well and looks really fit and is moving well. He got plenty of praise from Suma. Apeness got a bake from Suma at one point for being pushed out of the contest too readily. The marking contests were interesting to watch with a lot of feedback from Suma, about freekicks, positioning etc. Hurley certainly didn't look out of place.

The ball movement in the match sims was slick, I thought, with Balla in everything, Lachie Neale looking good, and Fyfe doing all the things that Fyfe does.

#ffcpreseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got down to training this morning as well, haven't been able to do so as much as I thought so I'll make this report a fairly detailed one.

I thought the skills looked pretty decent and the intensity was quite high. I noticed that Pav, Sandi, Croz, Walters, Sylvia, Dawson, A. Pearce and Deluca were all absent from today's session. Happy to report Fyfe is back in full contact and TTHD.

I too caught the 2 on 1 forward drills and was impressed by the work of Tabs and Silvagni in particular. The exercise was primarily about blocking a key defender so the other nominated tall forward could take an easy mark. Perhaps suggests we could be running with a taller forward setup with the intention of stretching defences. With guys like Lake and Taylor cutting us up down back with intercept marks in the past, I think I speak for a lot of posters in saying this is a welcome move.

I also noticed Apeness getting a bake from Sumich for not going hard enough in one contest; to the kid's credit he made a concerted effort to lift his output thereafter. It's a big call but I just don't think Moller just has the tank, mongrel or smarts to succeed at AFL level. He does something spectacular but is exposed in these key areas far too often. He has the talent but just doesn't seem able to put it together. Clarke does look more impressive this pre-season, however on a couple of occasions he made some basic errors that vindicate the view that he's not a forward. Sumich criticised him a bit for turning his back to the ball and failing to read his opponent/the flight. Ultimately He's a good ruck, but an average forward.

Prior to this drill was a inside 50 stoppage exercise. Hannath, Sherdian, Mundy, Barlow, Neale, De Boer and Mzungu were pitted against Griffin, D. Pearce, Fyfe, Clancee, Crowley, Hill and Suban. Each stoppage group alternated between attacking and defending a ball up inside 50, points were awarded for the attacking team scoring or the defensive team successfully transitioning the ball outside the forward 50. It was a fairly physical contest and Kirky was pretty happy to dish out some push-ups if he didn't like a particular passage. It would seem that these on-ballers are the most likely to get a place in the 22 (some go without saying, but I reckon sheridan will get an extended run early, leading the TTHD award )

Managed to catch a glimpse of the 1st and 2nd year players. Langdon was labouring a little (but from memory he's been out of training for a bit?). Weller looks classy, he kicks the ball very well into space for leading players, almost Hill like. That said, he's still quite slight and needs to gain a few kgs to compete with the big boys. Hopefully, he'll excel in the WAFL with his skill set and smarts and be eased into the team as an outside wingman much like Hill in his early days. Unlike hilly we have the luxury of developing him away from the rigours of match day play. For mine though, Blakely looks the best of the lot. It's uncanny how much the kid resembles a young David Mundy. He ran out the session really well too, I believe playing for Swans has really fast-tracked Connor's development. I've also noticed that he isn't afraid to approach senior players for advice; the boy has his head screwed on. Would also like to point out how huge Brady Grey's quads are, puts Clancee to shame.

I left about halfway through a full ground match sim. From what I witnessed it seemed the emphasis was very much on fast transitional movement. Some guys are still far too slow at decision making, namely De Boer and Barlow. Ross wasn't too shy about voicing his thoughts on their indecisiveness either.

I realise this is epic enough in itself but if you have an queries about particular players, fire away!

#ffcpreseason

Just had a look at yesterday's training session photos posted on the Freo Facebook site.
I just noticed that the former stick figure Stephen Hill has developed a very decent set of guns on him.
I thought the exact same thing when I saw it, I know the picture you're thinking of.. It made me think 'geez i hope he still has his evasiveness' 'cause he looks fherkin huge. Not much risk of getting him & Shero mixed up this year by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Down at freo. The tall timber are practicing 2 on 1 scenarios and the rest are doing a 3/4 ground match Sim. No one is running laps. Hurley looks surprisingly good. Zarke and Griff look sharp as well.
There's been a couple of posts saying my buddy looks good. Perhaps my post in pre season buddy expectations might come to fruition.

Just got home. Looks like democritus has most of it covered.

A couple of other things to add.

Hannath and Apeness were doing ruck drills with Zarke/Griff/Moeller - both were holding their own.
Tabs looked really good - after a couple of games last year, I'd written him off - he seems to be on the up this year.
Zu - did just about everything right - he's a quiet achiever and seems to be really underrated.
Fyfe - is back.
McPharlap (whoosh!) is looking great - no sign of injury.
I'll say it again - Crowley is all class. After the kick to kick with the kids, he ran half the length of the oval to get a pen to sign the footy of a little tacker who'd obviously forgotten one.

I think that's about it.

Have a great weekend Purple Army!

#FFCPreaseason

The 2 most approachable players at the club would be MJ & Crowley. Antoni Grover and Roger Hayden all used to love a chat to the fans a couple of years ago as well

Put the Zu in that basket too! He's a good un.

Got down to training this morning as well, haven't been able to do so as much as I thought so I'll make this report a fairly detailed one.

I thought the skills looked pretty decent and the intensity was quite high. I noticed that Pav, Sandi, Croz, Walters, Sylvia, Dawson, A. Pearce and Deluca were all absent from today's session. Happy to report Fyfe is back in full contact and TTHD.

I too caught the 2 on 1 forward drills and was impressed by the work of Tabs and Silvagni in particular. The exercise was primarily about blocking a key defender so the other nominated tall forward could take an easy mark. Perhaps suggests we could be running with a taller forward setup with the intention of stretching defences. With guys like Lake and Taylor cutting us up down back with intercept marks in the past, I think I speak for a lot of posters in saying this is a welcome move.

I also noticed Apeness getting a bake from Sumich for not going hard enough in one contest; to the kid's credit he made a concerted effort to lift his output thereafter. It's a big call but I just don't think Moller just has the tank, mongrel or smarts to succeed at AFL level. He does something spectacular but is exposed in these key areas far too often. He has the talent but just doesn't seem able to put it together. Clarke does look more impressive this pre-season, however on a couple of occasions he made some basic errors that vindicate the view that he's not a forward. Sumich criticised him a bit for turning his back to the ball and failing to read his opponent/the flight. Ultimately He's a good ruck, but an average forward.

Prior to this drill was a inside 50 stoppage exercise. Hannath, Sherdian, Mundy, Barlow, Neale, De Boer and Mzungu were pitted against Griffin, D. Pearce, Fyfe, Clancee, Crowley, Hill and Suban. Each stoppage group alternated between attacking and defending a ball up inside 50, points were awarded for the attacking team scoring or the defensive team successfully transitioning the ball outside the forward 50. It was a fairly physical contest and Kirky was pretty happy to dish out some push-ups if he didn't like a particular passage. It would seem that these on-ballers are the most likely to get a place in the 22 (some go without saying, but I reckon sheridan will get an extended run early, leading the TTHD award )

Managed to catch a glimpse of the 1st and 2nd year players. Langdon was labouring a little (but from memory he's been out of training for a bit?). Weller looks classy, he kicks the ball very well into space for leading players, almost Hill like. That said, he's still quite slight and needs to gain a few kgs to compete with the big boys. Hopefully, he'll excel in the WAFL with his skill set and smarts and be eased into the team as an outside wingman much like Hill in his early days. Unlike hilly we have the luxury of developing him away from the rigours of match day play. For mine though, Blakely looks the best of the lot. It's uncanny how much the kid resembles a young David Mundy. He ran out the session really well too, I believe playing for Swans has really fast-tracked Connor's development. I've also noticed that he isn't afraid to approach senior players for advice; the boy has his head screwed on. Would also like to point out how huge Brady Grey's quads are, puts Clancee to shame.

I left about halfway through a full ground match sim. From what I witnessed it seemed the emphasis was very much on fast transitional movement. Some guys are still far too slow at decision making, namely De Boer and Barlow. Ross wasn't too shy about voicing his thoughts on their indecisiveness either.

I realise this is epic enough in itself but if you have an queries about particular players, fire away!

#ffcpreseason
Take note people, that is how you write a training report!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back