Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't compare us to St Kilda 2009. We have great young players like Walters, Neale, Hill and Fyfe, they had none of those. And Lyon isn't the list manager at Freo, so not sure how our recruiting has anything to do with him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rack-for-round-1/story-fni5f6su-1227195658098

This report worries me because it's from Kim Hagdorn and it seems quite reasonable.

"His enforced rest over the past fortnight is understood to be a conservative strategy from Dockers medical staff." I suppose this explains Sandilands' absence.

Hagdorn also said that Mayne is regularly in the backline in drills and that Crowley has had an epidural to ease inflammation and muscle tightness.

True with the saints but Freo has gone to the national draft each year and picked a crop of young players.

Some picks have already not made it and some are starting to find there feet. That comes down to the recruiters as much as Ross.

If we moved on our elder statesmen such as Pav and Luke Mc who are still playing good footy and can teach the young guys leadership skills then I would be annoyed with Ross. It's a fine balance.

To be fair to the saints they have gone to the draft as well since 09... and our drafting record is nothing to write home about either. But for Fyfe, we've had almost the same amount of 'hits'. Thankfully the rookie draft has been kinder but its a risky game pinning our hopes on the rookie draft each year.

But he don't develops n' play da yoof.
Haha. Yes it is a bit of a dumb-arse comment that lingers for him, and supported by our aging list demographic. It is a bit of a truism about teams who are close to the GF that they are a bit older, and the best 22 is fairly stable, and I think that is the main reason for that observation.

Neale, Sutcliffe, Taberner, Crozier. All four comfortable candidates for best 22 in 2015 (less clear about Sheridan imo). Apeness, A Pearce, Blakeley and Weller highly likely to join them in another year. It feels to me that the change over of players in our best 22 is happening at about the right pace.

I really enjoy the feeling from the pre-season reports that player development is at a high level, and that the young men are prepared well for the seniors before they are expected to perform. Spots are earned on merit. Competition and camaraderie go hand in hand.

There's 1 or 2 guys in our resident draft guru's phantom draft thread on the drafting board that still flogs this rubbish.
You could point out that in the 3 years of RTB's tenure, Fremantle has introduced 14 AFL debutantes. The same as Hawthorn and more than Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast and Richmond.

To be fair to the saints they have gone to the draft as well since 09... and our drafting record is nothing to write home about either. But for Fyfe, we've had almost the same amount of 'hits'. Thankfully the rookie draft has been kinder but its a risky game pinning our hopes on the rookie draft each year.

Saints have gone to the draft since 09, but in the 08 and 09 drafts st kilda absolutely laid an egg in those two drafts.I don't think they have one player on their list from the 08 and 09 drafts.

When you look at who we drafted in 08 and 09 ,hilly,ballas,Clarke,Walters,fyfe,
Barlow and Scos.IMO we've done very well compared to st kilda.

For me the group above will prevent us from bottoming out like st kilda are doing right now.

2011 draft was pretty handy for us too.

I'm super confident we'll be right in mix this year.2016 we might drop back to the bottom half of the top 8,then spike again 2017.

I don't mean to intrude as im a crows supporter but I just wanted your opinion on this. If Ross Lyon was to fail this year what would you supporters want to happen to Lyon would you give him another year or start to worry that he can't lead this club to a premiership.
HE is the best coach in the AFL. He can stay as long as he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK I'm going and I didn't mean to be rude so sorry I won't bother this board again
Jesus, don't cry about it.

Would it help if I lied and told you Adelaide were going to make finals this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back