Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played a fair chunk of last season without Ibbotson, who is without doubt best 22 material. We also missed MacPharlin and MJ at times. So there is a certain fragility about some of our key personnel down back.

Our best backline is;

Sutcliffe Dawson Duffield
Ibbotson MacPharlin Johnson

However, sitting outside the best backline that we can put together are Spurr, Silvagni, C Pearce and a fast arriving A Pearce. One of those is likely to find a spot on the bench in our best 22.

I still struggle to see the situation where it becomes a better option to have Mayne in the backline. Swingman, maybe, although i think that is over-rated as a tactic, although I do think it is valuable to have defenders who can drift forward and become a threat, which Mayne could certainly do.

The weakest link for me in our defense is that we do not have someone who can consistently quell the influence of the best small forwards. If that is something Mayne has been set as a target I would be more enthusiastic about the idea. He has the pace and strength and some height advantage.

Could be allowing us to have a quick defensive option to run down the small forwards. What Mayne does up forward defensively, would be gold when following a dangerous small down back.

Easier to defend in the forward line though. It is more a role of hunter than negator, and is balanced against (ideally) making yourself a scoring threat. But he is terrific in that defensive forward role.

We played a fair chunk of last season without Ibbotson, who is without doubt best 22 material. We also missed MacPharlin and MJ at times. So there is a certain fragility about some of our key personnel down back.

Our best backline is;

Sutcliffe Dawson Duffield
Ibbotson MacPharlin Johnson

However, sitting outside the best backline that we can put together are Spurr, Silvagni, C Pearce and a fast arriving A Pearce. One of those is likely to find a spot on the bench in our best 22.

I still struggle to see the situation where it becomes a better option to have Mayne in the backline. Swingman, maybe, although i think that is over-rated as a tactic, although I do think it is valuable to have defenders who can drift forward and become a threat, which Mayne could certainly do.

The weakest link for me in our defense is that we do not have someone who can consistently quell the influence of the best small forwards. If that is something Mayne has been set as a target I would be more enthusiastic about the idea. He has the pace and strength and some height advantage.

Gunna be a interesting to see how the club manages maca.For me he's
fingers crossed insurance.

Hipsters get a bad wrap. I'm all for a culture that encourages good food, craft beers and other beverages, coffee and especially in the ways they encourage a return to quality craftsmanship and using old technologies that are still better than those that replaced them. Things like vintage clothing, vinyl records (not that that is strictly a hipster thing) and just the way they are making grass roots movements that are diverging from corporate franchise culture. Anything that takes society in this sort of direction is ok by me. I love handmade foods and clothes and I love the ethos behind it.
I noticed young bands were starting to release their music on vinyl only which led to me resurrecting the old turntable and having a listen to some of my old records on vinyl. I was genuinely startled to find it really does sound better. I've started haunting record shops and buying my favourite albums on vinyl again.

If given a choice I will choose a hipster run/populated cafe. You can guarantee the coffee will be good, the deserts will be raw, handmade affairs and best of all, the service will be friendly and customer focused. I really appreciate good service and I've been so pleasantly surprised going into places where the barristas have nose rings, tattoos and beards and get greeted with a smile, a description of what coffee they are serving and have it delivered to my table with a smile. These people understand the value of differentiating themselves by going the extra mile.

I love that fashion has become post/post modern. You can wear anything and no one gives a s**t. When I first moved to Melbourne in the 80's I was astonished to find that the musos over were into footy and you could shoot pool in cool bars. In Perth things were so regimented in terms of what activities were appropriate to your cultural sub-group.

I've always been a bit of a hippy and I love that young people are breaking away from consumer culture. Of course now the whole hipster thing is being turned into consumer culture by the same old greedy pricks who appropriate anything that allows them to sell more s**t to gullible fashion victims.

I'm not a hipster, I'm just a middle aged hippy/muso but I reckon one of the signs you are getting old is when you start hating on what young people are doing and complaining that things were better in your day.

Not quite sure what brought that rant on and apologies for being off-topic. I think maybe I'm just flexing my writing muscles again after being on holidays for a while. I'm starting to get excited about footy being not that far off again.

I will try and make training tomorrow or Friday so I can write something about that instead!

Hipsters get a bad wrap. I'm all for a culture that encourages good food, craft beers and other beverages, coffee and especially in the ways they encourage a return to quality craftsmanship and using old technologies that are still better than those that replaced them. Things like vintage clothing, vinyl records (not that that is strictly a hipster thing) and just the way they are making grass roots movements that are diverging from corporate franchise culture. Anything that takes society in this sort of direction is ok by me. I love handmade foods and clothes and I love the ethos behind it.
I noticed young bands were starting to release their music on vinyl only which led to me resurrecting the old turntable and having a listen to some of my old records on vinyl. I was genuinely startled to find it really does sound better. I've started haunting record shops and buying my favourite albums on vinyl again.

If given a choice I will choose a hipster run/populated cafe. You can guarantee the coffee will be good, the deserts will be raw, handmade affairs and best of all, the service will be friendly and customer focused. I really appreciate good service and I've been so pleasantly surprised going into places where the barristas have nose rings, tattoos and beards and get greeted with a smile, a description of what coffee they are serving and have it delivered to my table with a smile. These people understand the value of differentiating themselves by going the extra mile.

I love that fashion has become post/post modern. You can wear anything and no one gives a s**t. When I first moved to Melbourne in the 80's I was astonished to find that the musos over were into footy and you could shoot pool in cool bars. In Perth things were so regimented in terms of what activities were appropriate to your cultural sub-group.

I've always been a bit of a hippy and I love that young people are breaking away from consumer culture. Of course now the whole hipster thing is being turned into consumer culture by the same old greedy pricks who appropriate anything that allows them to sell more s**t to gullible fashion victims.

I'm not a hipster, I'm just a middle aged hippy/muso but I reckon one of the signs you are getting old is when you start hating on what young people are doing and complaining that things were better in your day.

Not quite sure what brought that rant on and apologies for being off-topic. I think maybe I'm just flexing my writing muscles again after being on holidays for a while. I'm starting to get excited about footy being not that far off again.

I will try and make training tomorrow or Friday so I can write something about that instead!

Forgiven this time. But the only posts with multiple paragraphs I like to see in this thread are training reports. :p

I agree with everything you say and sadly the term hipster is just word used to explain difference from your own perception but with negative connotations. Of course it can be an identity or cool chasing ideology for many youth but this has always been the case and I don’t really see it as a bad thing. Better than a world of philistines.

Sorry not another word.

I agree with everything you say and sadly the term hipster is just word used to explain difference from your own perception but with negative connotations. Of course it can be an identity or cool chasing ideology for many youth but this has always been the case and I don’t really see it as a bad thing. Better than a world of philistines.

Sorry not another word.

I'm still in the land of Mods and Rockers .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only concern with hipsters is that they look backwards for influence. Celebrate what is old as new as if there is no future to create for ourselves. The irony is, the period of history in which culture & technology progressed rapidly was that era between the 30s and 70s. We created atomic bombs in 6 years, landed a man on the moon in 12.

And now we're either obsessed with paleo diets, retail sales, and are apathetic towards politics - or we are in love with the unbridled optimism of last century.

While TheInjuryFactory (welcome aboard and love your avatar, by the way) makes a great point about Croz possibly taking over Mayne's previous role, with some more intensive goal-kicking coaching, Mayney could return to being that deadly sharpshooter we need.

This right here. All for flexibility but this is priceless, especially given our recent history with shots-for-goal accuracy.

And going to the footy at Freo Oval in the 1980's doesn't make me a hipster, it just makes me a Souths supporter! And old... it also makes me old.

I wouldnt read too much in to the Mayne swap just yet. Might just be a case of playing other positions to further develop his forward game - Mayne does roam around the ground a fair bit during a game.

Off topic a little bit but I read that the OKC coach in the NBA puts players in different positions during scrimmages so they can learn what is expected from the team mates around him for example Westbrook playing Center.

I wouldnt read too much in to the Mayne swap just yet. Might just be a case of playing other positions to further develop his forward game - Mayne does roam around the ground a fair bit during a game.

Agreed - I was at training last week (Friday) and Mayne was training with the Forward talls and during the Match Sims was definitely running on the Half Fwd Flank. Possibly they needed someone to play as a "backman" and he was most suited - giving one of the up and comers a chance to play as a Fwd.

Will be interested to see if the "Mayney as a backman" experiment continues and as always I look forward to the latest reports from our dedicated training watchers.

Am loving reading the training reports guys. I live overseas and can only dream of getting to see a training session, but thanks to the wonder of your lovingly-crafted and detailed descriptions it almost feels like I'm there!

Always exciting to hear how the rookies are going this time of year, and Blakely and Weller sound very promising indeed. I know a lot of fans of other teams were eying Weller, and Blakely seemed to slip under the radar a bit. Would love to hear more on these two and what skills they have been able to showcase so far, from someone who has been able to see them up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back