News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Spitballing but could long term be in line with an afl long term injury, which is iirc 12 weeks?
looked it up in the aflpa cba. It's 8 weeks minimum.

The thing that worries me a little bit is you look at our injury list (time frame classification aside) and while some of those aren't automatic best 22 we have a few injuries.

Look at our r1 opponents Hawthorn. Only 1 injury, Birchall, and he may very well get up for round 1. They appear to be cherry ripe, unfortunately.

Can't help but admire your spirit of optimism about how this list is being framed.

But there are several reasons why I think the list is actually precisely what we wish it wasn't. That is, a hazy indication of how long we might have to wait for the players in question to return.

Reason 1 - The column in which the information is recorded is marked 'Estimated Return', not severity of initial injury. Unless the Cats specified a new descriptor for that column in the report (and were ignored by the AFL), I see no reason why our 'Estimated Return' column should not be read exactly as it is for all the other clubs.

Reason 2 - This whole 'short/medium/long term' lingo is precisely how the injury list ended up appearing on the Cats online injury update report last year. Weeks were no longer specified; simply 'short term', 'medium term' or 'long term', depending on how long it was anticipated to take before the player concerned got back on the park. We have form in incorporating this metric and it was never used in those reports in the way you have described. 'Long term' simply meant that the player was a fair way off getting back out there, not how severe his injury was in the first place.

Reason 3 - The list actually makes perfect sense of what we know/suspect about how the players in question are tracking for a return, sad though that reality is. While it does also 'match' somewhat with the severity of their initial injuries (although Bates would appear to be yet another mild recurrence of his ongoing hamstring issues), it is easy to square the list as it stands with a prognosis on the likely return dates for each player. Vardy and Menzel have been shunted well back in expectations for when they might play in 2015, which sees them fit the 'long term' descriptor yet again.

It's disappointing that once again we have such a sizeable list of players who are a long way off making an appearance. And it's infuriating that the club sees fit to deal with this unfortunate set of circumstances by treating the standard practice of injury reporting in the competition with such contempt.

But I will be amazed (although incredibly pleased) if the list is to be read as you have outlined.

If that is in fact the way to read it, it will actually make incredibly boring reading from here until the players in question return. Because their status could only conceivable move from 'injured' (with the initial severity of injury recorded as their 'estimated return') to 'fit' (and thus off the list).

That would have to then be the world's most confusing (and ultimately pointless) sports injury list ever conceived. If it's true, the GFC have ingeniously taken their ability to obfuscate and wander around the truth of injury matters to a whole new level.
While we could have an endless debate on the semantics of the list... Really only the AFL and the GFC know, and I guess we'll find out as the year unfolds. :thumbsu:

I am curious with Simpson how much of his form troubles last year were back related. He seemed a far more promising player in 2013. If he is fit again, he could possibly surprise with some better performances.

He also acknowledged he has dropped some weight - he did look a bit heavier last year than the previous year, that may have also impacted his ability to not run out matches because he did look exhausted in the second half of matches; so possible a combination of a bit of additional weight and discomfort from his back injury.

It would be great to see him return to the promising form he showed in 2013 and then build from there

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-26/big-summer-has-enright-bouyant

Great interview with Moons and Boris.

Kolo and Blitz getting a lot of down back work with some bloke named Scarlo whom has been like a full-time coach on a part time payroll. Boris confirming Scarlo has been there just about everyday.

Mitch Clark getting work both in Ruck and up forward. Cowan, Smedts and Bews also playing the small role.

Been doing a massive amount of work this preseason - Boris setting a few PB's in preseason 16. Not bad for 34.

I think overall it seems as thought there has been recognition of areas in need of improvement and they have been targeted. Whether it is enough to keep pace with the competition or the needs of those that post on here remains to be seen.

Results should be evident soon.

GO Catters

Even Mark Blicavs doesn’t know where he’ll line up for Geelong this season

“I think that’s a good strength of mine, in that I can be quite versatile. Some days I do get a bit confused with my role if it keeps chopping and changing and I’m playing five minutes here and five minutes there,” he said.
“I’d like a bit of continuity in my playing position, but as a modern day footballer you’ve got to adapt to any situation.”
“Before Christmas they were towelling me up,” Blicavs said of Hawkins and Clark. “I hadn’t had much experience down there and they were doing it so easy, but I’ve slowly been feeling more comfortable. It’s been really good learning a new craft and learning off ‘Domsy’ (Tom Lonergan) and Harry (Taylor) and all those boys.”
“I’ve still got a long way to go. I don’t see myself yet as a permanent fixture, which I think is a good thing,” he said. “Every day I’m on edge. It doesn’t allow me to settle and forces me to work hard and keep improving.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...long-this-season/story-fni5f6yf-1227240457610

Three dates that I've been able to find
Thanks Partridge, that's basically all I could find as well, and I don't really see the particular issue. They've made a statement about them playing in NAB, and then he's subsequently gone in for surgery. None of the quotes I've seen from Steve Hocking when he announced Vardy was going under the knife put a timeframe on it (happy to be corrected). Now they're saying they seem him playing in the first half of the year. Has there been some radical reversal in prognosis?

So. Josh Cowan? We all seem to rate him and we know the club does too.. But let's assume he comes good. Whose slot in the best 22 does he take? Because I don't want him taking GHS or caddy or guthries spot.. So is it possible Kelly, or (godforbid)) SJ or bartel may lose their spot to this guy?? And in terms of game readyness where does he sit next to Cockatoo or gore??? Not trying to knock anyone, jusgenuinely interested??

So. Josh Cowan? We all seem to rate him and we know the club does too.. But let's assume he comes good. Whose slot in the best 22 does he take? Because I don't want him taking GHS or caddy or guthries spot.. So is it possible Kelly, or (godforbid)) SJ or bartel may lose their spot to this guy?? And in terms of game readyness where does he sit next to Cockatoo or gore??? Not trying to knock anyone, jusgenuinely interested??

Depends what form he shows….its been a while for Cowan. He will be watched with great interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Partridge, that's basically all I could find as well, and I don't really see the particular issue. They've made a statement about them playing in NAB, and then he's subsequently gone in for surgery. None of the quotes I've seen from Steve Hocking when he announced Vardy was going under the knife put a timeframe on it (happy to be corrected). Now they're saying they seem him playing in the first half of the year. Has there been some radical reversal in prognosis?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-for-patrick-dangerfield-20150115-12rhz1.html

Hocking also said that injury setbacks to Steve Johnson (foot), Mitch Clark (calf) and Nathan Vardy (knee) were not major headaches.

The Cats revealed on Thursday that all three had endured recent hiccups, but that the fortnight or so layoff for the injury-prone tall Vardy would be the most significant disruption.

"It's quite frustrating for him," Hocking said.

"He actually sprained it pre-Christmas. He's just had a bit of swelling come up in the knee."

"Hopefully they just remove a bit of scar tissue, but most of the swelling's subsided now.

"Hopefully it only delays him by a couple of weeks."
If two weeks becomes a number of months I'd say that's a pretty serious reversal in prognosis.

I am curious with Simpson how much of his form troubles last year were back related. He seemed a far more promising player in 2013. If he is fit again, he could possibly surprise with some better performances.
Personally I think a fit Simpson is far and away our best ruck option. Loves the rough stuff and is built like the proverbial old school house

Have we ever seen him fit? I can't remember when he has done that for 4 qtrs
YOU could be right mate, I'm pretty new to the footy, but from what I've seen, he'd be better long term than Hmac, luceys a cat B rookie and Stanley looks too weedy for first ruck, but he certainly has the hight and running to get the job Done.. In spank it land, it'd be between him and Simpson for long term first ruck success..

Have we ever seen him fit? I can't remember when he has done that for 4 qtrs

Those 5-6 games before he did his knee in the Saints game in 2013 he was pretty stout.

Im not sure I could say he was a 4 qtr player but I recall his efforts thru those games was pretty good - so whilst not playing the full 4 quarters he was still contributing in the 4th….

Then of course he did the knee and the rest is history.

GO Catters

YEAH true, but let's pretend he comes back no worries and plays well. Where is he best/whose spot does he take?

he should realistically be trying to push out Stokes because all the other guys will either be improving or holding their own. Cowan is a terrific inside midfielder prospect. Good at winning clearances and has a nice turn of speed to accommodate the outside work he can also do. With Johnson a chance to retire by seasons end, he's got an opportunity to make significant in-roads (barring further injury).

Those 5-6 games before he did his knee in the Saints game in 2013 he was pretty stout.

Im not sure I could say he was a 4 qtr player but I recall his efforts thru those games was pretty good - so whilst not playing the full 4 quarters he was still contributing in the 4th….

Then of course he did the knee and the rest is history.

GO Catters

He's only played more than 80% game time once in 24 matches.

Jesus Hawkins looks fit. I'm gonna make a big call here, and I might end up looking like an idiot but I reckon if Hawk spends a little bit more time up the ground and is involved in the play a little bit more (more marks, possessions etc) he could go close to winning the Brownlow!

He's in for a ripper season I reckon. :cool:

One look at him now , and looks more Zeus than Tom. Hey Zeus is probably a Mexican thing but Zeus OK by me.

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 9.50.33 pm.png
Zeus God of Sky and Thunder

LOL Simpson still alive! Needs a bit of grippo.
Fantastic pix MC :hearts: thank you for posting them.
Love this time of year when the Boyz look so fit, healthy + tanned!
Check out Selwood's intensity + concentration.
Tomahawk is looking amazing!
Good to see Kelly (is it Kelly?) keeping up his tackling stats.
Blitz has bulked up.
Super photo of Clark in action.
Does Smedts have rockets in those fluro boots?
Who is the kitten kicking in pic six?

The best Tomahawk has looked in a couple of years! He was the Hulk in 2013, looks über trim + fit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back