News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny how many people forget that we limped into finals exhausted, since Scott did not rest our senior players for the 3rd strait year, they would have been the hardest hit. We tried a new fitness program and it did not work, hence why we did a reshuffle of training staff.

Edit: I'll hold the rest of my thoughts for the time being, might annoying some on here and cbb arguing.

It's funny how many people forget that we limped into finals exhausted, since Scott did not rest our senior players for the 3rd strait year, they would have been the hardest hit. We tried a new fitness program and it did not work, hence why we did a reshuffle of training staff.

Edit: I'll hold the rest of my thoughts for the time being, might annoying some on here and cbb arguing.

i agree we limped in so to speak , but did we have an easy run in where we could rest players? Fairly tough run I thought. The resting could of , should of happened at some stage I agree but I think the lack of assertive power in the midfield made us do it hard too often. Not just resting but we had to play hard too often , too many close games etc. shows that we were always going to the well.

Last edited:

i agree we limped in so to speak , but did we have an easy run in where we could rest players? Fairly tough run I thought. The resting could of , should of happened at some stage I agree but I think the lack of assertive power in the midfield made us do it hard too often. Not just resting but we had to play hard too often , too many close games etc. shows that we were always going to the well.
If we'd rested some players late in the season, we may have dropped out of the top 4 and the benefit of the rest would've been negated by having to play finals from outside the top 4- i.e. without the double chance.
Perhaps the club thought the extra bye late in the season was going to be enough- but then there's no advantage for our players in that case because all teams got a bye at about the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree we limped in so to speak , but did we have an easy run in where we could rest players? Fairly tough run I thought. The resting could of , should of happened at some stage I agree but I think the lack of assertive power in the midfield made us do it hard too often.

I can't really remember, but didn't we lock up top 4 after beating Freo?

We could have rested/rotated some of the players. I'm talking 1 or 2 at a time though, not Freo's grand plan of drop 12 all at once. Only the players that needed it though, like Lonners, Kelly, Rivers,Bartel types.

Brisbane game we definitely didn't need our best 22 out there. (yes I know where we play was on the line, but it's Brisbane)

As for the midfield I really worry Turbo, we need them to start racking up disposals and getting much more footy and picking up the slack from the older blokes.

Mackie has been a fantastic player, his form was not great in last bit of the season but he was no worse than Harry Taylor. Maybe the defenders weren't all to blame and their were issues with accountability throughout the side.

Mackie has been a big game player. Better player than Harley imo. Not as good as Scarlett or Enright but right on the next rung.

Can't agree with you there. Harry wasn't great towards the end of the season, but Mackie was deplorable.

I can't really remember, but didn't we lock up top 4 after beating Freo?

We could have rested/rotated some of the players. I'm talking 1 or 2 at a time though, not Freo's grand plan of drop 12 all at once. Only the players that needed it though, like Lonners, Kelly, Rivers,Bartel types.

Brisbane game we definitely didn't need our best 22 out there. (yes I know where we play was on the line, but it's Brisbane)

As for the midfield I really worry Turbo, we need them to start racking up disposals and getting much more footy and picking up the slack from the older blokes.
We lost Hartman and Kersten from the previous game, through injury. Plus Motlop, McIntosh and Christensen were "managed"- that's already almost a quarter of the team.
Btw I'm not disagreeing with you but just saying that injuries prevented us from doing a few things we'd liked to have done during the year.

Yes. After Round 15, we had this immense task ahead of us for the next 3 games - Bulldogs, Melbourne and GWS. Terrifying stuff. We were equal 2nd on the ladder with a 10-4 record, so hardly struggling. It would have been a perfect to time to give each of our tall defenders a week off and rotated someone - anyone - in to spell them.

Here's what did happen:

Lonergan played all 3 games and only missed 1 game for the season.
Rivers played all 3 games and only missed 2 games for the season.
Taylor played all 3 games and only missed 1 game for the season.

So for me, the whole 'well our draw was too tough / we needed to win / too many injuries' excuse is just that; an excuse. Like a lot of things with Chris Scott now, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes. After Round 15, we had this immense task ahead of us for the next 3 games - Bulldogs, Melbourne and GWS. Terrifying stuff. We were equal 2nd on the ladder with a 10-4 record, so hardly struggling. It would have been a perfect to time to give each of our tall defenders a week off and rotated someone - anyone - in to spell them.

Here's what did happen:

So for me, the whole 'well our draw was too tough / we needed to win / too many injuries' excuse is just that; an excuse. Like a lot of things with Chris Scott now, I'll believe it when I see it.

We only beat GWS by 7 points and the Dogs pushed us all the way at home too. Who's to say if we rested some of those key defenders we'd have dropped one or both of those games?

Here's what did happen:

Cant dispute any of Partridge , I was thinking a little later to be honest. Even against the Dogs and GWS were hardly doing it easy...which goes to my point , it was not just resting policy...or as you say the non-resting policy that contributed to us being battle worn rather than battle hardened , I think we just lacked the ability to put the foot down and win easy , allowing us do it maintain a lead and win easier. In fact we seem to fall away in 2nd halves and then had to use all our effort to stop the onslaught.

In general Id have like to see some more game into younger players , and if they are playing well enough leave them there. For 2015 I hope Kolo is used in a sort of rotation of those talls at some stage/ Lets get 5-10 games into him , and keep those players you have mentioned fresher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken Hinkley is a better version of Mackie. Identical players

Identical? Hinkley was a superb overhead contested mark which Mackie is not. Mackie is a superb, penetrating kick of the footy which Hinkley was not. Aside from both being mid sized backs I don't reckon they have too many similarities at all other than having both played for Geelong.

Identical? Hinkley was a superb overhead contested mark which Mackie is not. Mackie is a superb, penetrating kick of the footy which Hinkley was not. Aside from both being mid sized backs I don't reckon they have too many similarities at all other than having both played for Geelong.
Both rebound defenders, both playing the role of 3rd man up in a contest, both a similar build and similar height. Hinkley was better one on one yes.

Both rebound defenders, both playing the role of 3rd man up in a contest, both a similar build and similar height. Hinkley was better one on one yes.

I'll give you that both tend to be attacking defenders that played off their man. Mackie is 192cm; Hinkley was 185cm. Yes, both were ectomorphs.

Hinkley couldn't defend like Mackie. Different players in different era's. Hinkley was a beautiful player to watch. I wouldn't compare them.

Mackie has been a fine player in his own right. Had some uneven seasons for a player of his talents but he clicked when it really mattered - in our 3 premiership seasons.

Ken Hinkley is a better version of Mackie. Identical players

Sorry , have to disagree with that strongly. I loved Hinkley as a player , As a poor to woeful HBF myself , i fancied that I would be Kenny if only had a jot of talent. He was a forward moved back , would come of his man and take high flying pack marks and attack. Should have won the Brownlow bar a thugish act... but I do not remember him being an exceptional kick , or in fact an organiser of play.
Mackie has a aloofness to him , a classy type at his best but sometimes when off a little , he can look lazy. I think Ryss Jones had a little bit about him (talk about thugs). When Mackie plays well, we usually do as well , he sets play up and at his best is very nice kick indeed..although the way he kicks the ball does occasionally cause error.

Both very good players for the club , that play in a similar area of the ground.

Sorry , have to disagree with that strongly. I loved Hinkley as a player , As a poor to woeful HBF myself , i fancied that I would be Kenny if only had a jot of talent. He was a forward moved back , would come of his man and take high flying pack marks and attack. Should have won the Brownlow bar a thugish act... but I do not remember him being an exceptional kick , or in fact an organiser of play.
Mackie has a aloofness to him , a classy type at his best but sometimes when off a little , he can look lazy. I think Ryss Jones had a little bit about him (talk about thugs). When Mackie plays well, we usually do as well , he sets play up and at his best is very nice kick indeed..although the way he kicks the ball does occasionally cause error.

Both very good players for the club , that play in a similar area of the ground.

Hinkley would be a contender for our Best Team of the last 25 or 50 years, and Mackie wouldn't.

Hinkley would be a contender for our Best Team of the last 25 or 50 years, and Mackie wouldn't.
I'd have them both contenders and Hinkley in front by a nose. I think Mackie is undersold generally.

I'd have them both contenders and Hinkley in front by a nose. I think Mackie is undersold generally.

Meld the two of them together and you'd have a bloody good player!

I'd still have Hinkley just in front as well but I'm wary that we tend to over inflate the deeds of past players over those of the current ones.

Hinkley had a couple of absolutely exceptional years in '92 and '93 where he made the AA team but fell away after that. Mackie has never reached those heights as a player but has been a very good player for a longer period.

no retirements, with an aging list and bringing in 2 best 22 players

some oldies have to be playing VFL and hopefully the decision to fast track some kids is done in round 1 not round 20
For me the backline was the problem. Too tall and one dimensional...lacked pace and run. We need to fix this first and foremost. Bews playing is a must, and I'm adamant Guthrie needs to play down back and in a shutdown role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back