News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

But it's the 21st century journalistic approach.

If you look at journalism historically, you could understand why the need to 'be first' was so ingrained. In the mid-19th century information took a long, long time to be delivered (even up until radio in the early 20th century). To an extent, being first DID matter then. Now though, information is instant and appears and is disseminated immediately. I'd argue being first isn't that important now, but being RIGHT is.

Enough ranting. But this does apply to sports journalism just as much I reckon.

Being right is not important these days.

When your target audience believes anything that is published without question, who cares about fact checking?

Worked for 2000 years and i cant see it changing soon.

I am serious that I do not consider Ralph "consistently make(s) professional mistakes" and is "s**t at (his) job."
Is this some kind of trick statement in that his reporting is so calorie free that it is hard for him to make a mistake in the traditional sense?

Is this some kind of trick statement in that his reporting is so calorie free that it is hard for him to make a mistake in the traditional sense?
Ha. Not really. He is a certain kind of high volume, low insight footy journalist (the kind of which the H-Sun excels at cultivating). But on the whole I find him to generally reliable and not worthy of the description above.

Ha. Not really. He is a certain kind of high volume, low insight footy journalist (the kind of which the H-Sun excels at cultivating). But on the whole I find him to generally reliable and not worthy of the description above.
Fair enough. On reflection I've perhaps conflated him too much with Mark Stevens and Damien Barrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel a little more stupid for opening that link and unfortunately starting to read it..
Well now I can't not have a look can I

EDIT: Can't see an issue.... that's quality hard hitting journalism right there, I'll bet Mark Stevens read it and wrote the exact same story days later

If you look at journalism historically, you could understand why the need to 'be first' was so ingrained. In the mid-19th century information took a long, long time to be delivered (even up until radio in the early 20th century). To an extent, being first DID matter then. Now though, information is instant and appears and is disseminated immediately. I'd argue being first isn't that important now, but being RIGHT is.

Theoretically yes, but the people consuming news these days are doing it in bite size chunks and tend to retain that first, often factually scant, piece of "news". The follow up headline is usually never as "sexy" as the first one.

I think you'll find, in the online world, journalism is all about how many 'hits' your article gets. This allows you a better bargaining tool at the advertising table. So, no-one is going to click on your article if someone else has already reported it an hour ago. With the increasing reliance on advertising for revenue, I'd argue 'being first' is even more important now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back