News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Few things i noticed today:

Simpson, Stanley, SJ and Cowan did not train
Blease, Toohey, Clark, Hartman, Bates, McIntosh, Horlin-Smith and Menzel were on a modified program. Did a lot of laps and strait line running drills, also Menzel did some kicking, jumping, marking and kick a great snap goal from outside the boundary line around 30m out!
As the players we warming up one of the coaches was being interviewed and he mentioned 2 main things: That the players have been doing 60kms a week and that Guthrie, Caddy and Smedts have been the most impressive on the track. I watched Smedts closely after that and he was impressive in the running drills, only a step behind Duncan and Guthrie. Another encouraging sign was that during the last open session was that all his contested work was with either Caddy or SJ and he wasn't being thrown off the ball, very competitive.
Bews trained hard and during the chase drill Selwood couldn't get near him, however by the end of the drill he was barely keeping up with Hawkins.
I tried to keep an eye on the new players but the fact that the jumper numbers weren't correct didn't help; Cunico is small but he very fast and was very clean with most things he did, Gore looks ready to go right now I wouldn't be surprised if he played a few senior games next year and the big guys (Read and Lucey) both looked athletic and decent kicks but there wasn't much pressure. Read moves and looks more like a KPP to me, looking forward to watching him in the vfl this year.
Bad points - Simpson, Stanley, SJ and Cowan did not train
Hartman, Horlin-Smith were on a modified programs.
however by the end of the drill he (Bews) was barely keeping up with Hawkins.

Good points - The players have been doing 60kms a week and that Guthrie, Caddy and Smedts have been the most impressive on the track. I watched Smedts closely after that and he was impressive in the running drills, only a step behind Duncan and Guthrie.
Another encouraging sign was that during the last open session was that all his contested work was with either Caddy or SJ (You previously stated Stevie did not train.?) and he wasn't being thrown off the ball, very competitive.
Bews trained hard and during the chase drill Selwood couldn't get near him,
I tried to keep an eye on the new players but the fact that the jumper numbers weren't correct didn't help; Cunico is small but he very fast and was very clean with most things he did,
Gore looks ready to go right now I wouldn't be surprised if he played a few senior games next year and the big guys (Read and Lucey) both looked athletic and decent kicks but there wasn't much pressure. Read moves and looks more like a KPP to me, looking forward to watching him in the vfl this year.

Just 4 the record I believe we got a steal with Gore.. :thumbsu:

104198_2c9c03adce36e3e986594fa1b23c15fc.JPG
This to me is not the face of a man fighting any Demons excuse the pun.

If he managed 20 possessions in just one or two games I'd be ecstatic.

I will be happy if he can manage to avoid tearing a hammy off the bone or completely destroying his achilles tendon whilst putting on his boots.

I know he has a minor calf strain but wow Clark looks in bloody good nick in that first photo... it's the big IF, but IF he gets his body 100% and keeps it he could be an absolutely inspired pick up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he has a minor calf strain but wow Clark looks in bloody good nick in that first photo... it's the big IF, but IF he gets his body 100% and keeps it he could be an absolutely inspired pick up

Clark started his off pre-season training first for the team, been apparently hitting it hard since he joined us. You get the feeling he's going to pay us back big time if he can stay out there.

I shouldn't get so excited about seeing pics containing buff young men, but I seem to do so every year in late Jan/early Feb! I swear that I'm otherwise heterosexual....
Not that there's anything wrong with that... :D

Don't I feel like a goose... Apparently Sj was there on light duties. Video up on AFL app
In your defense it would have been hard to see him if he was in the rooms :D

great news to hear Smedts busting his gut. Not that he hasn't in the past but to be training alongside the other midfielders it may suggest he's going to be running through the midfield this year.
I really hope so.

me too , its the spot I think of his best chance. Ive seen him break away from a pack situation in the VFL , and it looked good. He need to think of the ball as a hot spud.

It kind of makes me wish I was female. I could admire our players legitimately in that way and not brush it off as just a "man crush". :D
Well, I reckon if you have more than one man crush (mine is Jimmy) :D then they probably aren't man crushes! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back