News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. I didn't expect to win but I never thought we'd be bullied into submission.

It was the lack of fight that shocked me. They really had no belief (other than Selwood). I remember when Blicavs kicked that goal that brought it back to around 3 goals with more than 15 minutes to go, there was barely a reaction. It was a really bizarre performance. Selwood in both finals and Hawkins in the second final seemed to be the only ones who played with any belief or desire.

I don't have that much confidence that it really hurt them and will spur them on because they never really thought they were a chance.

The aura has gone BP. Thats why.
It's shifted clubs.

Losing five from six finals will do that.

You can blame me. I left Australia to live overseas on the eve of the 2006 Pre-season Grand Final. I returned on the day we played Freo in the elimination final in 2012.

So missed all of the Grand Final wins, and since I returned, the win over Port is the only finals win I have seen.

Yep. It took me until the weekend to realise this, but from 2007-2011 combined, we lost 3 finals in total.

We've lost 5 finals in the last 3 seasons alone. It's fairly compelling evidence.

How many did we lose when we were "almost" there (2004-2006 ... 2006 can be seen in a similar way in regards to high hopes turning to utter disaster)?

Yep. It took me until the weekend to realise this, but from 2007-2011 combined, we lost 3 finals in total.

We've lost 5 finals in the last 3 seasons alone. It's fairly compelling evidence.

I think part of it is a sign of tranisition as we really are moving on from the teams that won during our 3-peat where as much as we had new faces coming in each year, we also had a very strong & stable core group.

At the moment it's kind like back to the period of 2004/2005 - during those 2 years we lost 3 of 5 finals, obviously not playing finals either side of those years to either improve or make it look worse. It was 2007 where suddenly we had a much better balance in the side, majority of players were at that 75-100 game mark so we had the experience, including some finals experience for majority of the team.

Heading into next year we are now getting more of our youngsters into that good level of experience with 50+ games and other approaching the 80+ games - depending on how things play our next year we may well see Horlin-Smith, Smedts & Blease with 50+ games under their belts, Murdoch & Blicavs will be 60+, Stanley & Caddy potentially 75+, and Guthrie & Motlop looking at 80+ and nearing 90 games. This years semi-final against North we had 3 guys with 50-100 games under their belt (Guthrie, Caddy & Motlop), we also had 3 guys who had played 20 or less games each - Thurlow, Walker & McCarthy. Heading into finals next year we might be looking at having between 6 & 9 guys with 50 - 100 games experience and that will give better balance.

I'm not saying this all directly means success, but suddenly 2015 & even 2016 is looking more positive with balance where we aren't either top heavy with 150+ games or -50 games players.

How many did we lose when we were "almost" there (2004-2006 ... 2006 can be seen in a similar way in regards to high hopes turning to utter disaster)?

Interesting exercise to compare 04-06 then 07-11 then 12-14, we should throw in 2000-03 for good measure too.

Being fair to Thompson and then Scott, the latter inherited a much better list and football system so in the development years of this group it should be seen to be more successful than Thompson was in the early years of 00-03.
But this perception we should rebuild an era that fundamentally ended in 2011 within three years is really reaching for mine.
No question we have had some disappointing finals results though recently, no getting around that.

Still, even the IT side presently the Hawks took 5 years to rebuild between flags where they lost big matches poorly too.
Who knows after FA next year our list might be cherry ripe again in 2016 for a tilt, not unlike how the Hawks did it.

Last edited:
You can blame me. I left Australia to live overseas on the eve of the 2006 Pre-season Grand Final. I returned on the day we played Freo in the elimination final in 2012.

So missed all of the Grand Final wins, and since I returned, the win over Port is the only finals win I have seen.
You give me your address and I'll have a one way ticket overseas for you by Christmas:D;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those one arm push up things in the video look like the worst things ever.

Stanley is a big boy as well, and Max would still smash them all.... what a physical beast he is

See the weights all cringe as Max was lifting…

Still got it….!

Walker is a monster. Just effing huge. If he can play like he did at years end, Stanley and Clark are gonna get one hell of a push..

GO Catters
I must have missed the part with Walker.... watched it twice and didn't think I saw him?

I must have missed the part with Walker.... watched it twice and didn't think I saw him?
Quick clip of him near the end.. Will watch again to confirm or be corrected ..

Go Catters

Quick clip of him near the end.. Will watch again to confirm or be corrected ..

Go Catters
The bloke before Max? Cos that's not Walks....

No Idea who that is,late pick mature age ruckman to be call by Wells Thursday night?:)He would be pissed Daz thinks he's as good looking as Josh.
He's one of the strength coaches I'm pretty sure

Isn't it Dale Amos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It could be, I wouldn't recognise him not dressed as a toy solider or a lego man :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back