2015; Progress towards your final team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this'd be an idea for a thread. Players in teams usually fall into one of these 3 categories. They're either keepers, upgrades/culls, or players you're not sure about yet. So how many have you got in each category?

Keep
H Shaw
Hibberd
Gibson
Fyfe
Pendlebury
Watson
Mumford
Nic Nat
Swan
Martin
Devon Smith
Gray
Taylor Adams
Bont

Cull/Upgrade
Saad
McIntosh
CEY
Heeney
Vandenberg
Lambert
Lonie
Tarrant
Krakouer

Unsure
Oxley
Lumumba
N Brown (Reliable solid D8)
Lewis
Cripps
Cox (is it worth trading for a ruck rookie even if one comes along?)
Clark (Potentially solid F8)

Last edited:
after this weeks trades
Total
Keep:13
unsure: 8
cull: 9

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 8.25.55 AM.png

FAILTOSUCCEED

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
KEEP

Shaw
McDonald
Docherty
Gibson
Fyfe
Pendles
Selwood
JPK
Gray
Martin
Swan
Bonts

CULL

McIntosh
Saad
Newnes
Anderson
Krakouer
CEY
Heeney
Sheed
Vandenberg
Clark
Hogan
Lonie

UNSURE

Maric
Nic Nat
Oxley
Cripps
Read

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Depends on injuries and patience this sort of thing.

Every week on the trade threads you see someone crack it ad nauseam with someone and go sideways for 10 extra points a week. Is it worth the extra trade knowing you'll have to cull the rookies you kept for the short term while you got rid of your underperformer? If said underperformer is playing every week shouldn't he be retained as he has no job security issues and finish your team around him = bench cover.

I've expressed my thoughts on this sort of thing regularly here over the last couple of weeks and it's quite simple.

Rookies need to be culled at their highest price possible or if a situation doesn't favour them, we find Salem in this position this week, he has a higher BE this week but is coming off a concussion and may score poorly, he also may be dropped/rested. Take the 100k made and use it I say with the precarnage that has already occurred this week.

Rookies won't hold form the whole year. Jaegarbomb averaged 90 in 2013 which was solid but not at a keeper level in midfield and Langdon averaged only 71 after averaging in the 80s mid season and Paige told us all to keep him, yeah um no.

Only really Zorko has broken this trend that I can remember recently and averaged enough to be a keeper but he only played about 50-60% of that season so he may have declined if he played earlier that season.

Krujan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
EAD Jiska
Depends on injuries and patience this sort of thing.

Every week on the trade threads you see someone crack it ad nauseam with someone and go sideways for 10 extra points a week. Is it worth the extra trade knowing you'll have to cull the rookies you kept for the short term while you got rid of your underperformer? If said underperformer is playing every week shouldn't he be retained as he has no job security issues and finish your team around him = bench cover.

I've expressed my thoughts on this sort of thing regularly here over the last couple of weeks and it's quite simple.

Rookies need to be culled at their highest price possible or if a situation doesn't favour them, we find Salem in this position this week, he has a higher BE this week but is coming off a concussion and may score poorly, he also may be dropped/rested. Take the 100k made and use it I say with the precarnage that has already occurred this week.

Rookies won't hold form the whole year. Jaegarbomb averaged 90 in 2013 which was solid but not at a keeper level in midfield and Langdon averaged only 71 after averaging in the 80s mid season and Paige told us all to keep him, yeah um no.

Only really Zorko has broken this trend that I can remember recently and averaged enough to be a keeper but he only played about 50-60% of that season so he may have declined if he played earlier that season.

Sometimes hanging on to the best rookie priced players for the whole season is worthwhile as solid bench cover, particularly mature aged rookies or rookies with solid JS - Non sub risks.

In 2013 for example held onto Terlich, Vlastuin, Tom Mitchell, Blicavs & Staker for the whole season as bench cover. All of them came in very handy, especially during SC Finals with some good scores when I really needed them to cover for injury/susp. They in no small part helped me achieve my highest ever SC overall finish.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sometimes hanging on to the best rookie priced players for the whole season is worthwhile as solid bench cover, particularly mature aged rookies or rookies with solid JS - Non sub risks.

In 2013 for example held onto Terlich, Vlastuin, Tom Mitchell, Blicavs & Staker for the whole season as bench cover. All of them came in very handy, especially during SC Finals with some good scores when I really needed them to cover for injury/susp. They in no small part helped me achieve my highest ever SC overall finish.
Oh yes Tom Mitchell forgot about him, comparable to Zorko, he didn't play the whole year though, he was a mid season wonder.

Would agree on Terlich, he was good value, Blicavs was ok I chopped him though mid season once he mooed.

Miles and Martin were huge for me last year but both were around 250k, I dumped Derickx and another rook to get them in.

But yes good point Ginge, maybe we should look out for whoever comes onto the scene and nails it mid year, say from rounds 10-14, there seems to be one or two every year who smash it late in the year to save teams like S Gibson and Zorko in 2012, Mitchell in 2013 and Miles and Martin last year.

Krujan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
EAD Jiska
Oh yes Tom Mitchell forgot about him, comparable to Zorko, he didn't play the whole year though, he was a mid season wonder.

Would agree on Terlich, he was good value, Blicavs was ok I chopped him though mid season once he mooed.

Miles and Martin were huge for me last year but both were around 250k, I dumped Derickx and another rook to get them in.

But yes good point Ginge, maybe we should look out for whoever comes onto the scene and nails it mid year, say from rounds 10-14, there seems to be one or two every year who smash it late in the year to save teams like S Gibson and Zorko in 2012, Mitchell in 2013 and Miles and Martin last year.

Tyson & Polec from last year as well. Very solid for most of the year.

Even a 1st year rookie like Lewy Taylor last season was very useful if you had him for the whole season like I did. Played all 22 games. Only averaged 63 for the season, but did average 73 from Rd13 onwards. His M/F DP saved me from more than a few doughnuts.

MightyMark

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors, NE Patriots
I'm unsure on half my team at the moment.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tyson & Polec from last year as well. Very solid for most of the year.

Even a 1st year rookie like Lewy Taylor last season was very useful if you had him for the whole season like I did. Played all 22 games. Only averaged 63 for the season, but did average 73 from Rd13 onwards. His M/F DP saved me from more than a few doughnuts.
Polec maxed out at 445k IIRC, became Pendles for me in the bye rounds

Tyson was a mistake last year in hindsight for me, dumped him early when he lost cash after round 6 I think then he went on a tear about a week after I got rid of him, starting with when we played Melbournein round 8 IIRC. Taylor was one of the last rooks I culled he was always going to be a slow starter he did become a sideways swap to Zorko though when Zorko bottomed out after his food poisoning might've only cost me 80-100k, I can see Lonie perhaps scoring similar and going past 300k he will be a slow mooer though buta handy one.

I'm unsure with Heeney, I've already culled him in DT as his scoring seems useless for that game but he has shown potential with a couple of 90s here, with the Tyson mistake last year burning me I'm extra cautious on him.

Krujan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
EAD Jiska

Tyson was a mistake last year in hindsight for me, dumped him early when he lost cash after round 6 I think then he went on a tear about a week after I got rid of him, starting with when we played Melbournein round 8 IIRC. Taylor was one of the last rooks I culled he was always going to be a slow starter he did become a sideways swap to Zorko though when Zorko bottomed out after his food poisoning might've only cost me 80-100k, I can see Lonie perhaps scoring similar and going past 300k he will be a slow mooer though buta handy one.

I'm unsure with Heeney, I've already culled him in DT as his scoring seems useless for that game but he has shown potential with a couple of 90s here, with the Tyson mistake last year burning me I'm extra cautious on him.

Taylor peaked at just under 400k around about Rd 13-14. Even though he was a slow burn compared to some other rookies, he still went up almost 300k from his starting price. Lonie could do likewise this year. Seems to be getting better every game.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne

agree on heeney.
its funny hes in one of the best team's in the league but i actually like his JS.
fingers crossed hes back this week.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Taylor peaked at just under 400k around about Rd 13-14. Even though he was a slow burn compared to some other rookies, he still went up almost 300k from his starting price. Lonie could do likewise this year. Seems to be getting better every game.
I think it was 383k he got to, I culled him then, it didn't cost much to get Zorko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KEEP

Shaw
Gibson
Fyfe
Watson
Sloane
JPK
Jelwood
Goldstein
Grundy
Martin
Buddy
Bonts
Gray
Read

UNSURE

Newnes
Oxley
Laird
Brown (D8 potential)
Tarrant
Krak (possible M11/F8)
Clark (possible F8)

CULL

Saad
McIntosh
Cripps
CEY
Miller
Vandenberg
Heeney
Hogan
Lonie

thinking these 2 will be perfect keepers

Saad: mid/def swingman with Hodge/Newnes/Lumumba/Burboyne/etc
Krak: mid/fwd swingman with Bont/Swan/Dusty/Gray/etc

I think Krak will get culled at some stage but the Saad loop keeper has merit.

May as well just put UNSURE across almost my entire defence.

I think Krak will get culled at some stage but the Saad loop keeper has merit.
definetly want a mid/fwd swingman with all the mid/fwd premos we have in the forward line, relevant rookie options are Krak, Lambert, Steele and Laverde
Lambert may end the year in the VFL when he returns from injury, Steele may be too small for AFL this year and Laverde may not get a chance this year

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
definetly want a mid/fwd swingman with all the mid/fwd premos we have in the forward line, relevant rookie options are Krak, Lambert, Steele and Laverde
Lambert may end the year in the VFL when he returns from injury, Steele may be too small for AFL this year and Laverde may not get a chance this year
With the extra bench spot a M11/F8 FWD/MID is the way to go once your team is finished. Likewise a R3/F7 type which I think Ryder/TBC can do in tandem. The dpp defenders are average as they were all taken away from us last year like Hanley, McVeigh and Mitchell, straight defenders are scoring better at the moment.

There will surely be a carnage round late in the year like last year in round 21, if we use up all our trades by around SC finals time then it's crucial to have plenty of playing bench cover just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back