2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the Coorparoo lads for a really good hard run last night at Alexander Park. I think UQ were a little lucky.
Rest of the comp will need to look out for some big strong bodies who let you know you are into a tough hitout. Kings got to be in the top 1/2 come July.

Did I notice acouple of jimboomba boys (maybe former) at Coomera today?

Considering the coach saw Woodsmen play last year a good judgment call was made.

Or would you prefer to play into their hands and let these guys that should be playing in the grades that suit their abilities have it easy like they do most weeks? Unfortunately the Devils guys are either first timers (if it are any good quickly are punted up to ressies), bottom of the rung on skill level/fitness or like most of the woodsmen cant play the weekends, again unfortunately these players for the Devils are not past first division players.

So you'd just match up man on man in this scenario? Great idea champ, grab the whiteboard and get coaching!!! Straight to AFL level for you.

Lets face the facts, the comp is what it is and the Woodsmen are here for a reason, but most matches are not even contests. The opposition just have to cop that on the chin and deal with it. If it means pushing numbers back then that's a great call especially given Yeronga are 3 team club. They don't tend to have a lot of former top division players running around most Friday nights.

For the lesser teams it may not be a bad idea to push up to 4 players back. The reality is the ball will be in the defensive 50 more often than not so why not give all players exposure to the pill. You still wont win the match but the players may be able to hang their hat on being able to make the opposition work harder for their goals.

As you say, there are still a significant portion of the side to come back and as the season progresses the match fitness and knack will return. It's simply not a level playing field for genuine 3rd grade teams. We all know if there was any grading system Woodsmen after last years performance would not be playing in this comp. That's life, no reason why these guys shouldn't be able to play in a lower division, it's a free world, totally their choice.

The Devils seniors stay right there, in the seniors and if injured come back through the reserves. That has always been the case and always will. Proofs in the pudding, hasn't been a lot of silverware in the 3rd's cabinet since inception. Not enough piss sank either, hopefully this year that can be remedied.

Really "champ", a good judgement call........? Push 4 players back....? That could be the silliest thing I've ever read on here..... and I'm including the QAFA A forum in that statement.

I don't care if it's 3rds 4ths 5ths or 8ths.... if you START with more than one loose in defence you send a message that "we're don't think we're going to win".

Give your players a chance to show you what they have, first gamers or not. Then if it's not working, you might do something different. When Zillmere were dominating I didn't see too many clubs putting 4 extra players in the defensive 50. And they (in your words) had "guys that should be playing in the grades that suit their abilities".

So you keep working on the insert x number of players in the defensive 50 and keep having those "gosh we didn't get rolled by as much as we knew we would" losses. But you won't improve your playing list's abilities by doing it.

As to the AFL gig, I would but whiteboards are so yesterday. It's all computers now. Didn't you see the Woodsman coach with the IPad?

was this not last year?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_...24203566&c=1-109-36638-299468-20508540&pool=0

but you are right about the set up of the competition and clubs like Yeronga will always be disadvantaged over teams like woodsman

This was last time they met mate.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124203575&c=1-109-36638-299468-0&pool=1

I Don't know the Yeronga coach, but maybe he knew with his current stocks they weren't going to win so it was all about limit the damage woodsmen can do.

Woodsmen are just going to have to accept that most teams are going to play loose men back. Not in an attempt to win but to limit the damage as to not hurt the their Percentage. There's a lot of teams fighting for those last few top 6 spots. 1 big blow out at the hands of the woodsmen and your percentage could cost you a spot in the finals.

says a lot for the people who was in charge QAFL_Fan dosnt it, i let you know now springfield lakes would of started the season on -16 points as they owed the league club fees, the rules say that every month your behind in league fees you are docked 4 points so who in their right mind play for a club that was that far behind to start with with no chance of making that up
actually it was -24 pts ....
Llewellyn didn't pay the fees in 2014 and left no money in bank account.

your dead set drop kick raz66, the ipswich council do not need to build an afl ground just for that sole purpose the eagles now share lime stone park with the centrals cricket club and have a excellent relationship in place as a matter of they both clubs just recently had a friendly game of cricket and the eagles watched the centrals play in the finals and actually the cricket club put a tab on for the eagles players that went to watch, for access to the ground the there is no issue at all the eagles can have access to it everyday of the week if they put in for it in the footy season thats why they pay money for the lights and clubhouse access ext also they do all their pre season there as well with the cricket clubs blessing so dickhead access is not a problem and i dare say the cats would have very similar access to their new ground who they share with another cricket club, my sources tell me that aflq are right behind the eagles and are doing all they can get them in the right direction, a new club at ripely you are brain dead buddy have you ever been there no afl club would get off the ground there and survive,springfield lakes couldn't do it and they are the fastest growing suburb in south east queensland how long did they last 2 years?

I so glad so glad you think by calling me names it makes you right.
No other council ground in Ipswich has been built that enforces soccer and AFL to play on same oval. Sharing with cricket is the correct way to share AFL grounds as is done at all major facilities including the Gabba and MCG.
I am not sure why you keep quoting what Eagles are doing, are you feeling my posts about lack of Council support for AFL is nullified by saying the Eagles doing ok so lets not worry about any one else.
For AFL to succeed in this city the bigger picture is it needs collaboration , not more name calling and focussing on survival of one club.
AS to Ripley, yes council are going to build an AFL sized oval down there. It is in the Master Plan just a matter of when. But again it will be a shared facility during winter.
The reasons Springfield has struggled are many but the following are some.
1. Lack of suitable venue to play on. Moved grounds three times in three years. Moving from one School to another. No dedicated venue built by Ipswich council.
2. Lack of Knowledge of Football by Administration of the Club.
3. Lack of experienced coaches.
4. Lack of funding sought by the club.

I not sure why you keep getting personal but perhaps this is another reason that Ipswich council don't support AFL as it too busy fighting amongst itself. Seems the Council is now going to get money to pay for a NRL stadium in Springfield. Guess where more local kids are going to want to play once that is done. The only way to get Council on board to support AFL in this town is to work together, not resort to personal attacks.

But I guess in the end it comes down to the character of the people involved.

Once again I will say what's the point in putting other clubs down. If you don't help and work with other clubs you don't have a sport. I believe if you have to put someone else down to make yourself look better its a true indication of your character. If A club is down because of someone else's poor decisions you cannot carry that over to the people who are trying to fix it. Get on with the job of trying to grow the game in your area. You will all benift in the long term.

We've won 2 Premierships and played in 3 grand finals in 6 completed seasons and its apparently an unfair playing field?

We had 8 first gamers last night, including 5 completely new to the game.

Hardly the harlem globetrotters ffs.

Zillmere dished us up 3×100 point beltings in 2013, the wheel turns!

All fair comments, but the Yeronga coach would be a smart man to play more defensively based your teams 2014 form. You guys were streets ahead of the comp and as guys have said, gotta try and keep the percentages in check.

Really "champ", a good judgement call........? Push 4 players back....? That could be the silliest thing I've ever read on here..... and I'm including the QAFA A forum in that statement.

I don't care if it's 3rds 4ths 5ths or 8ths.... if you START with more than one loose in defence you send a message that "we're don't think we're going to win".

Give your players a chance to show you what they have, first gamers or not. Then if it's not working, you might do something different. When Zillmere were dominating I didn't see too many clubs putting 4 extra players in the defensive 50. And they (in your words) had "guys that should be playing in the grades that suit their abilities".

So you keep working on the insert x number of players in the defensive 50 and keep having those "gosh we didn't get rolled by as much as we knew we would" losses. But you won't improve your playing list's abilities by doing it.

As to the AFL gig, I would but whiteboards are so yesterday. It's all computers now. Didn't you see the Woodsman coach with the IPad?

IPADS!!! apparently you guys didn't even have any bench or official water runners last year. The wheel does turn ;)

Yes STARTING a game with 3-4 players behind the play would be viewed quite rightly as being defeated before a ball has been bounced. However once a team get a good roll on there is absolutely nothing wrong with pushing bulk numbers back. Heck throw everyone but a FF if it gets real bad. In that case, winning is not the objective and there are instances where that call can be made and rightly so. No point letting the forward line get cold on a Friday night....make ém get their hands dirty and help out the troops in the firing line! Would anyone really have a right to bag Springfield if they did that during last years match v Woodsmen? Would you have put some $$$ on the Storm with a 70pt headstart, not likely.

However, we're just conerned with Friday night. Some of the Devils players have already clarified the strategy that was chosen and there was only one player pushed back. Absolutely zilch reason to bag that tactic. It was a reasonable contest and hopefully both teams continue to improve.

As for who will play finals this year, too early to write off Yeronga but there is more quality about that last year. Zillmere could return to the 2013 form or thereabouts. Kedron very solid, Coorparoo will be a real tough game and then UQ coming back into the Fray. All those to contend with the other solid performers of Sandgate and Jimboomba of course not to mention last years premiers.

Defense will win this years silverware with the team that push more back likely to be the victors on the night! Nothing wrong with a 2 man forward line the whole night....

Move over womens comp...the Div4 GF will be played after this years AFLQ GF, but the presentation for the top league will be dropped to allow the 4ths more time to warm up before the decider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched the Woodsmen drop players back many times in the last few years, so those in glass houses...

Although, starting the game like that is a touch questionable. Everyone knows a spare man is a legitmate tactic, even having one back before the game starts is legit, but 2 is probably just giving up before you start.

Big Tim Green and Thommo have spent plenty of time down back over the years without having an opponent from what I've seen.

I think the sexualninja has the answer to this year. The comp will be won in the backline.

I waddled down and watched the Woodsmen v Yeronga Friday night. Even tho Yeronga had 1 back from the start they battled well and held their own it some contests. Woodsmen were far from their team last year. Skills were poor & not a lot of fitness. Can see their limited pre-season showing and would expect them to get better after a few rounds.

By the looks from round 1, Kedron & Zillmere look the teams to beat early.

I think the sexualninja has the answer to this year. The comp will be won in the backline.

I waddled down and watched the Woodsmen v Yeronga Friday night. Even tho Yeronga had 1 back from the start they battled well and held their own it some contests. Woodsmen were far from their team last year. Skills were poor & not a lot of fitness. Can see their limited pre-season showing and would expect them to get better after a few rounds.

By the looks from round 1, Kedron & Zillmere look the teams to beat early.
Its been my motto forever. Backs win the game and the forwards only determine by how much. Nothing new in footy.

Yep and in 2014 Wynnum had an average of 34 points kicked against them each week, and Woodsmen averaged a measly 30 with nobody scoring more than 55. No surprise they played in the GF

In 2013, Zillmere averaged just 21 per game against them to go with an average of 124 for! Nice % of 584....! (Nobody kicked more than 40 against them..!)

Yep and in 2014 Wynnum had an average of 34 points kicked against them each week, and Woodsmen averaged a measly 30 with nobody scoring more than 55. No surprise they played in the GF

In 2013, Zillmere averaged just 21 per game against them to go with an average of 124 for! Nice % of 584....! (Nobody kicked more than 40 against them..!)
You have too many stats mate. Any chance you want to sit on the bench with me. Could use a bloke with an eye for detail like that. You won't get paid but we do go hard in the bar after.

If you play at Moorooka, I'd be happy to sit on your bench

Watched the UQ vs Coorparoo game on Friday night.

UQ will be a decent side this year, plenty of run in their team. They could worry some of the older more skilful sides who rely on smarts and experience - as they can just run them off their feet.

Coorparoo will also be a competitive side, I think the strength of the middle tier of this comp will be far better this year than previously. Though both UQ and Coorparoo will be aiming for finals.

If you play at Moorooka, I'd be happy to sit on your bench

Watched the UQ vs Coorparoo game on Friday night.

UQ will be a decent side this year, plenty of run in their team. They could worry some of the older more skilful sides who rely on smarts and experience - as they can just run them off their feet.

Coorparoo will also be a competitive side, I think the strength of the middle tier of this comp will be far better this year than previously. Though both UQ and Coorparoo will be aiming for finals.
Sorry mate all the way over at sixth ave. But keep up the posts as I'm new to coaching in this comp. Any info is better than no info.

We've won 2 Premierships and played in 3 grand finals in 6 completed seasons and its apparently an unfair playing field?

We had 8 first gamers last night, including 5 completely new to the game.

Hardly the harlem globetrotters ffs.

Zillmere dished us up 3×100 point beltings in 2013, the wheel turns!
Didn't know you had to defend your success. To me its setting a standard that others should try and emulate.

Most interesting result is kedron thumping jimboomba. Jimboomba with the heppel brothers and Watson playing are not an average team. Did there whole team sheet play ? Did the score match the game ?

Most interesting result is kedron thumping jimboomba. Jimboomba with the heppel brothers and Watson playing are not an average team. Did there whole team sheet play ? Did the score match the game ?
watched most of the game kedron dominated, if anything kedron were just going through the motions in the last qtr and a bit

watched most of the game kedron dominated, if anything kedron were just going through the motions in the last qtr and a bit
That's saying something. The kedron side I saw play Ferny in the trials were a class outfit. Jimboomba maybe just had a bad day? Anyone from Jimboomba on here? Be interesting to hear/read their opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back