2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

SUNS, as the other guys have all said, kudos to your club for trying to build something and turning up each week to have a go. But it needs to be noted that through a different set of eyes one of your players is getting on the wrong side of people. So there must be an issue for 2 seperate clubs make mention of it.

Put the shoe on the other foot and perhaps give him some guidance on how to go about playing footy. Hard and fair.

SUNS, as the other guys have all said, kudos to your club for trying to build something and turning up each week to have a go. But it needs to be noted that through a different set of eyes one of your players is getting on the wrong side of people. So there must be an issue for 2 seperate clubs make mention of it.

Put the shoe on the other foot and perhaps give him some guidance on how to go about playing footy. Hard and fair.
Is the guy being spoken about #7????

Define 'enough' ?

I've only ever known the Woodsmen to have one huge thumping win, and that was against Springfield last year by about 250 points. I imagine they only did it because of some rumoured behaviour from Springfield earlier in the year and they just wanted to teach them a lesson.
Actions of the Executive Committee were taken out on the remaining few players who had stayed! The players didn't even know of any complaints lodged by committee . Destroyed the club as broke the spirits of the remaining players. Hope in future if a club has an issue with another clubs committee that word is spread to coaches and players and members of the club so they can take action early. Sadly if this had occurred last year, Springfield may still be around today.

Not entirely true.
No question we kept the foot down vs Springfield last year, they deserved it.
I not sure the players deserved it LOL . Especially as only 8 players from Springfield were playing that day. The other 10 were all ringins to make numbers , players who have never played before mostly. Thought the boys did well to actually score a goal LOL.. Especially when they had no ruckman.

But again, I think reality is that the club was never in a position to have a senior team as structure wasn't in place. No sponsorship sought . No home ground. The area needs AFL and a club but players are not enough to make a club, you need a football focused committee that also knows how to make deals with businesses in area and with councils.

OK back to the footy.
Woodsman v ferny grove
Should be a ripper ferny grove have shown they can play good footy. Chance of upset but think woodsman can take this one.
Jimboomba v zillmere
Could go either way here. Depends on who travels for zillmere. Should go down to the wire. Jimboomba at home for me.

OK back to the footy.
Woodsman v ferny grove
Should be a ripper ferny grove have shown they can play good footy. Chance of upset but think woodsman can take this one.
Jimboomba v zillmere
Could go either way here. Depends on who travels for zillmere. Should go down to the wire. Jimboomba at home for me.
Won't be at full strength but we'll have a crack. The boys love playing the top teams. As I've said earlier, these games serve as a great indicator of where we are actually at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK back to the footy.
Woodsman v ferny grove
Jimboomba v zillmere

Yep Jimboomba v Zillmere should be a cracker. Definitely match of the round. UQ v Sandgate should be good as well. Actually should be quite a few close games this weekend.

Yep Jimboomba v Zillmere should be a cracker. Definitely match of the round. UQ v Sandgate should be good as well. Actually should be quite a few close games this weekend.
Mate I think uq will topple sandgate. They play a good style of footy and use thier main targets really well. But should be another close one.

Good to have 2 sides of the story re the fists of fury incidents. Not withstanding what may have happened in the lead up, these actions have to be punished. To date the comp appears to have a good record but with more teams joining the potential for trouble will of course increase. This comp is no place (nor any comp for that matter) for thuggery, in fact it should be the polar opposite.

Really disappointing to hear of no reports for striking. Morro, if you stumble upon this, what's the umpires standard on these type of events? I'm not filled with confidence at the umpires ability to deal with hot heads in the comp.

It should be that, you throw a punch you get red carded, that's it. Park up on the pine, take a deep breath and let the fact that you've let your team mates down sink in. Then we'll see ya at the tribunal to hear your side of the story.

All good to look after your team mates, running over and clocking a bloke from behind is a coward act plain and simple. The old attitudes of these acts staying on the field etc, nope not any more, not when thuggery is concerned. The league needs to be made aware of who's involved and ensure they get put on a leash real quick. It's not the 80's anymore.

These ipswich kids may find themselves in a big spot of bother if they happen to clock the wrong bloke.

I can only talk from my personal point of view (which is similar to most other umpires) and that is if there is violence towards other players or officials a card would definitely be deserved. Whether that card is a yellow or red depends on the situation but yes anyone who is seen by an umpire to "Strike" another player should be red carded and reported. I understand your confidence in umpires is down and that is disappointing but I can assure you we strive to protect players at all times. Most umpires who officiate Friday nights are experienced and would be expected to control situations like these. ....... but remember there is a danger in taking matters into your own hands ........ and that is that umpires often see the retaliation.

Overall I think the umpiring in this comp is good (even tho I do the occasional game) and we just ask that everyone understands we are human ... we will make mistakes ....we won't see everything that happens on the field ...... but we do our best for you players ....... our customers

I shouldn't have to post my side of the story. What happens on a footy field stays on a footy field. But in saying that, the older brother remonstrated with the Woody player, after the younger brother was hit in the throat off the ball (similar to Hodge a few weeks back, reckless and clumsy more than malicious) I would have done the same thing in standing up for my team mate if I was closer to where it happened.

A member of the Woodies coaching staff even approached us after the game apologising for the incident and congratulating us on the effort we put in. Starting a team from scratch is not always easy

What a load of utter dribble.

the bloke in question who was wearing no socks, (i think #2 but can't recall) was looking for a fight all night. He was (yet again) scuffling and remonstrating with an opponent and quite simply, the smaller younger kid (his brother?) came over from 10m away and punched a bloke in the head, simple as that. There was nothing more to it.

You can come up with any rubbish excuse you like, but that's what happened.

Unfortunately the umpire wasn't as card happy as he was in last years GF and just let it slide, but i can only assume he didn't see it.

You have got to be joking you claim Jimboomba are dirty

been playing against Jimboomba since 07, they may have had a handful of dirty players in that time, but none since 2008 that I can recall. Old Valdes could never take a hit, but he has downgraded to QAFA A these days ;)

I can only talk from my personal point of view (which is similar to most other umpires) and that is if there is violence towards other players or officials a card would definitely be deserved. Whether that card is a yellow or red depends on the situation but yes anyone who is seen by an umpire to "Strike" another player should be red carded and reported. I understand your confidence in umpires is down and that is disappointing but I can assure you we strive to protect players at all times. Most umpires who officiate Friday nights are experienced and would be expected to control situations like these. ....... but remember there is a danger in taking matters into your own hands ........ and that is that umpires often see the retaliation.

Overall I think the umpiring in this comp is good (even tho I do the occasional game) and we just ask that everyone understands we are human ... we will make mistakes ....we won't see everything that happens on the field ...... but we do our best for you players ....... our customers

Standard of umpiring is fine, and matches the standard of footy. Some of them take the piss, arent approachable and make s**t up as they go - but on the whole, they do a better job than us clubbies do.

We had one pay a mark that went about 2m on Friday, when questioned he said "10 up, 10 down!" Thats not an answer, thats just being silly and not giving the players any respect.

Simply saying he made an error, or that he felt it went 15m would be more appropriate i would think.

You have got to be joking you claim Jimboomba are dirty...

I've only played the one game against Jimboomba so I'm sure this was just an isolated incident, but I have a slightly different perspective...

In a match right at the end of the season last year our 5ths took on the Redbacks at UQ. After being thumped on the scoreboard all season we were pretty clearly massive underdogs and Jimboomba would have come along to St Lucia expecting a nice percentage booster.

Our side had improved a fair bit as the season went on (and I think Jimboomba would have been missing a few key players) so it turns out that we actually put up a really good contest and were only a kick or two behind at three-quarter time.

It had been a really good hard-fought match up until that point, and a decision was clearly made in the Redback huddle to use some of their size and experience to intimidate the young students to claim the win. That's a clever tactical decision and wouldn't have been a problem if it came in the form of increased attack on the footy as everyone loves a good hard contest. As you've said above, that's the key to winning contested football and it alone probably would have seen the Redbacks run away with the game.

Unfortunately what unfolded was a little different... Plenty of fists flying around from the guys in red and at one stage the big dread-locked bloke had an 18 year old pinned to the ground by neck in a choke-hold for a good minute. Even more unfortunate was that the umpires completely failed to take control of the situation which only left the Jimboomba boys to continue practicing their amateur boxing skills.

This could have been any team on any day, so I don't mean it as an insult to the Jimboomba footy club specifically as it was most likely just an isolated incident where a few tempers were frayed because they looked like losing one which they expected to win easily.

To bring it back to the discussion you guys have had above, my point is that there is a distinct difference between hard contested footy and violent assault. Most people can tell the two apart pretty easily and for the most part it happens very rarely. If we encourage the blokes to keep going hard at the footy and let the umpires take control of anything that goes beyond that, I reckon those few whose actions fall into the second category will get sick of missing every second game through suspension and disappear pretty quickly.

Yes, the umpires may not spot everything that happens on the field and every now and then we'll get one who isn't assertive enough to flash a red card. But overall I'd say that the few thugs that are out there will ultimately have their actions catch-up with them at some stage.

To add some extra points to that paddlepop, in this day and age of everyone being glued to the phone I'd hope those incidents could be captured on film. If enough "black and white" evidence can be produced then the accused player needs to front up to tribunal. The incident you described should get 6 weeks. So even if the umpires haven't been able to address the situation and take full control at that moment, the thugs can have a few weekends off and let the rest of us get on with playing footy not the man.

I know some of the guys who played a lot of footy back in the early 90's and 80's would probably see it differently but the game has evolved past thuggery.

we have to put up with enough ice addicts, precious ADHD (read s**t diet) medicated teenage gansters and general scum that commit violent assaults on people just going about life. I don't want this crap occurring on the footy field ever and if it does then the zero tolerance rule has to kick in. This is one area that these unsavouries can be removed once and for all and allow fair players to continue doing what they love. They kick a teenage girl out for insulting Adam Goodes, if the AFL can do that then should ban repeat offending thugs for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to seeing how this weekend pans out, heading out to yeronga to watch sandgate and uq, I think uq have proved they are going to be up there, this will show where abouts sandgate will sit I think, good luck fellas

ahh, I see Brendan Forbes named in the QLD side and still playing for Aspley. Must be the smaller (relatively speaking!) and less talented brother, who is still a pretty good player from memory. Thought he was at Zillmere.

ahh, I see Brendan Forbes named in the QLD side and still playing for Aspley. Must be the smaller (relatively speaking!) and less talented brother, who is still a pretty good player from memory. Thought he was at Zillmere.

Unless he spells his name Bteven Forbes, you are wrong. Again.

http://www.woodsmenafc.com.au/team-sheet/

No Green, no Thommo, no McEwen - this could be an upset.

Unless that's Brendan Forbes at full-forward? Then good luck to the Falcons fullback!

Toohey back as well, assumed he had retired?

I hear rumours that "G" might be ex Western Magpies player Gerard Moore.

Perhaps they're not as undermanned as possibly thought?

Tips for tonight:
UQ to beat Sandgate
The Roos easily
Collingwood Park to beat Kenmore in a close one
Mayne vs eagles could go either way my tip is Mayne
Woodsmen to beat the Grove boys
Kedron for an easy win over Yeronga
and i think I will go for Zillmere to beat the Boomba boys in what should be a very interesting game

Have fun everyone

We got up by 50 odd points. Ferny Grove got off to a flyer and at one stage had 7.0 on the board and couldn't miss.

I think we kicked 13.13, i should know - i was doing the scoreboard!

Can't blame the Baker the Butcher either, did his knee in first 5 minutes. Not a great night with another key mid dislocating his hip.

Ferny a top bunch of blokes, very fit and athletic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back