2015 QAFA (B) Central

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keep speculating you have missed a couple.

A couple ??? I left out UQ cos their games are every chance of getting called off if there is the slightest chance of rain in that coming fortnight. They need to get a new deal cos it is obvious the Uni doesn't really want them using their grounds !!

Funny how you manage to gloss over questions you dont want to answer.

While your there how many teams will be in this comp and do you think it will be split into north south.
I am not going to pretend that I am some idiot that knows everything and has no say in the matter anyway, but I do hope that this comp stays as one. It is hardly busting at the seams and there already exists a QAFA B North and a QAFA B South. To then go and add a QAFA B Central (North) and a QAFA B Central (South) amongst that would be ludicrous. It would be like they are trying to find a trophy for everybody. With so much to work with, there is a real chance to really grow this division, and not have it seen as just "Division 4" !!!

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A couple ??? I left out UQ cos their games are every chance of getting called off if there is the slightest chance of rain in that coming fortnight. They need to get a new deal cos it is obvious the Uni doesn't really want them using their grounds !!

Funny how you manage to gloss over questions you dont want to answer.

I am not going to pretend that I am some idiot that knows everything and has no say in the matter anyway, but I do hope that this comp stays as one. It is hardly busting at the seams and there already exists a QAFA B North and a QAFA B South. To then go and add a QAFA B Central (North) and a QAFA B Central (South) amongst that would be ludicrous. It would be like they are trying to find a trophy for everybody. With so much to work with, there is a real chance to really grow this division, and not have it seen as just "Division 4" !!!
Agreed I just heard around the traps that its a possibility. With footy these days I predict a few more clubs will become a one team club in coming years. It's an opportunity for aflq to see this and work towards this. I will answer questions that I feel need answering. My choice on that you have to accept that mate. Good banter keep it up as you seem to have many opinions.

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed I just heard around the traps that its a possibility. With footy these days I predict a few more clubs will become a one team club in coming years. It's an opportunity for aflq to see this and work towards this. I will answer questions that I feel need answering. My choice on that you have to accept that mate. Good banter keep it up as you seem to have many opinions.

Why would AFLQ work towards footy going backwards? How many clubs recently has this happened to? Just because Kedron have had a mass exodus doesn't mean it's a common thing. Wynuum, Pine Rivers are two recent ones but both now are back to being two team clubs. A few others may push close this year but the wheel generally turns and clubs get back players. add to this new clubs and clubs adding 3rds sides and everything you are on about had a counter argument.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a long time player and administrator in this league, I can absolutely confirm that the intention of the league is to be a Friday night league.

We 'The Woodsmen' (Yes, I'm the President) specifically changed venues last year to ensure we maintained a Friday night focus. A huge thanks must go to Moorooka for their assistance there, and I'm sure Webby can confirm it was mutually beneficial given the amount of $ we pumped through the bar there every home game.

AFLQ administrators have also repeatedly told me that Friday night only is the long term intention of this league, and we are 100% on board with that. As Peanut alluded to, there are plenty of options to play footy on a Saturday. This league caters for those that can't play on Saturdays. Every time we get a Saturday game it is a huge struggle to field a side, and I know the case is the same for a few other clubs.

I've attended every AFLQ meeting involving this league for about 4 years now, and played in this league or other versions of it since 2007. I can absolutely confirm that while allowances are made each year, it is the long term goal to have this as a 100% Friday night league - that has come straight from the horses mouth.

If blokes want to play on Saturday, they can drop down a division and play in the QAFA A ;)

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Everything has a counter argument and I never said anything about aflq going backwards. I said its a possibility some clubs will drop back to one team in future. There is also new clubs that were strictly juniors looking to get a senior team going. The whole structure of all comps will change next year I'm sure of that.

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a long time player and administrator in this league, I can absolutely confirm that the intention of the league is to be a Friday night league.

We 'The Woodsmen' (Yes, I'm the President) specifically changed venues last year to ensure we maintained a Friday night focus. A huge thanks must go to Moorooka for their assistance there, and I'm sure Webby can confirm it was mutually beneficial given the amount of $ we pumped through the bar there every home game.

AFLQ administrators have also repeatedly told me that Friday night only is the long term intention of this league, and we are 100% on board with that. As Peanut alluded to, there are plenty of options to play footy on a Saturday. This league caters for those that can't play on Saturdays. Every time we get a Saturday game it is a huge struggle to field a side, and I know the case is the same for a few other clubs.

I've attended every AFLQ meeting involving this league for about 4 years now, and played in this league or other versions of it since 2007. I can absolutely confirm that while allowances are made each year, it is the long term goal to have this as a 100% Friday night league - that has come straight from the horses mouth.

If blokes want to play on Saturday, they can drop down a division and play in the QAFA A ;)

but not all clubs in this division have lights , so it s not just as Friday night league at all.

Mostly Friday nights but not all and with more clubs looking to join, ground availability may mean even less Friday night games.
The comp is obviously designed around Friday night's. But if the afl bring in new clubs with lights not up to standard they have to play Saturdays. It personally doesn't bother me if its Saturday or Friday. I aslo understand that some clubs have built thier team around Friday footy. Having said that it opens the door for new and existing clubs to put and argument forward about their own clubs needs. In the end all clubs will want what's best for them. I fully understand that and that's the way it should be.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If they get so many clubs that they can sustain it, they can just have a Friday league and a Saturday league.

There are so many options available to play Saturday football, why mess with the one option to play Friday football?

outandabout

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If they get so many clubs that they can sustain it, they can just have a Friday league and a Saturday league.

There are so many options available to play Saturday football, why mess with the one option to play Friday football?
Agreed but the problem is this is the only comp for one team clubs. I can't predict the future but this is the comp that seems to be growing faster than any other.
It offers a start for new clubs and an out for clubs who hit a rough patch. Most clubs find it hard to get the 60 players needed to move to a different comp. This includes aflq sides who count on neafl players to supplement their list. If top level clubs who pay players are struggling then it goes down the line. With no cap on player payments the big get bigger and the rest try to do the best they can.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Starting unsustainable clubs isn't such a good idea then.

The players playing for single team clubs who want to play Saturday, should go and play the the struggling clubs scratching around for 2 teams instead of starting another single team club to mess with the culture of a Friday night league.

Sixth Ave

Draftee
Feb 4, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Starting unsustainable clubs isn't such a good idea then.

The players playing for single team clubs who want to play Saturday, should go and play the the struggling clubs scratching around for 2 teams instead of starting another single team club to mess with the culture of a Friday night league.
Save your breath, he is always right and needs to have the final say

Heato

Rookie
Sep 9, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Coorparoo Kings, Tottenham Hotspur
Coorparoo Kings to field a QAFA B Central team in 2015. Taking over the mantle of the old 'Super Kings' over 35s team so now people of all ages wanting to have a crack can play.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon they might have the best lights in the Comp, rethink that answer again.
Coorparoo requested to host the GF in this league in 2014 (after successfully doing so in 2013)

They failed the 100 LUX test and the application was knocked back.

SO unless they have been upgraded, I'm afraid they will play on Saturdays

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
bingo

but if I had to guess, I reckon it might split into a Friday night league and a Saturday league.

Which would probably keep everyone happy

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon that is more than just a guess. But I don't like it. Make it one big comp. Much more exciting.

how would it be exciting to have 18 teams?

You would end up playing everyone once, the culture and atmosphere of the comp would be completely lost and games would be mixed between Sat and Fri and it would be a debacle. there would also be a huge shortage of umpires for Saturday games, placing pressure on clubs to supply there own clubbies.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
how would it be exciting to have 18 teams?

You would end up playing everyone once, the culture and atmosphere of the comp would be completely lost and games would be mixed between Sat and Fri and it would be a debacle. there would also be a huge shortage of umpires for Saturday games, placing pressure on clubs to supply there own clubbies.

Playing the same teams over and over, and/or having a short season like they will have in QFA North etc would be worse. What sort of bogus finals structure are you supposed to have with 7 teams. And if there are games on Saturday like it sounds like there will be, what does it matter if they are in one big comp, or two smaller ones ?? It still involves games being played on a Saturday. And how is the culture or atmosphere affected?? I think it would be greatly improved, with clubs playing at different venues, playing against different players every week, and giving the comp genuine credibility. With each team playing every other team once, surely that is the fairest draw of all. Sure, it might make your job more difficult, but you will just have to do more overtime working out the draw !! ;)

Back