2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd recommend teams like Zillmere and Woodsmen as your best bet, stand alone senior clubs - not 'thirds'

They also seem to be far more relaxed than a few other clubs, who carry on like pork chops. Collingwood Park is probably another one worth investigating I reckon.

Unsure what the 3rds culture is like down at Mayne, but they are a great club in general. I would avoid the ones that think they're playing for sheep stations who are unpopular amongst the other teams. (Kedron, Sandgate, Yeronga, Jimboomba to name a few)

G'day everyone. I understand season 2015 is wrapping up this Friday night, but I have a few quick questions about the comp. I'd like to start playing footy soon, and as the thirds seems to be the most 'social' comp there is, it seems like the best fit. I was wondering how accommodating it actually is for new players? Are there many blokes without prior experience? What should I expect as a new player coming in?

Cheers in advance,
Rookie

G'day Rook. Most clubs will welcome new players with open arms. And the Friday night comp is a good one, not requiring to commit a full day to footy, and a good atmosphere after the games. (Some clubs more than others, especially if you like a beer or 3) Once that ball is bounced though, guys crack in, and there are plenty of ex state league footballers running around in this league, albeit at a much slower pace. Every team would have a few players that haven't played much senior footy, so you won't be alone. You could also consider playing for a QAFA A club if Saturday suited, as the reserve grade footy at a QAFA A level is for the most part a fair way below QAFA B.

Get excited, Pre-Season starts in a few weeks !!!

I'd recommend teams like Zillmere and Woodsmen as your best bet, stand alone senior clubs - not 'thirds'

They also seem to be far more relaxed than a few other clubs, who carry on like pork chops. Collingwood Park is probably another one worth investigating I reckon.

Unsure what the 3rds culture is like down at Mayne, but they are a great club in general. I would avoid the ones that think they're playing for sheep stations who are unpopular amongst the other teams. (Kedron, Sandgate, Yeronga, Jimboomba to name a few)

Thanks for your advice! The ones who carry on like pork chops are exactly the ones I'm looking to avoid. I'm interested in the team culture, the exercise, and of course trying to win, but doing it in a way that doesn't mean trying to get into fights or cripple some bloke who's likely got to work the next day. A bit of fun with rewards for doing well thrown in.

I've just had a look at the Woodsmen website and they certainly seem to be a good fit for me, but their training clashes with my work night unfortunately. So, do the clubs you've mentioned in brackets have a bad rep? I'm actually reasonably close to Yeronga, so it's disappointing to hear they're less popular within the comp. I was also considering UQ; what's the word on them? I can't dig up much information on Zillmere, but they'd be a bit too far out I think. Collingwood Park is close by so perhaps they're a good pick.

Thanks again for your help!

G'day Rook. Most clubs will welcome new players with open arms. And the Friday night comp is a good one, not requiring to commit a full day to footy, and a good atmosphere after the games. (Some clubs more than others, especially if you like a beer or 3) Once that ball is bounced though, guys crack in, and there are plenty of ex state league footballers running around in this league, albeit at a much slower pace. Every team would have a few players that haven't played much senior footy, so you won't be alone. You could also consider playing for a QAFA A club if Saturday suited, as the reserve grade footy at a QAFA A level is for the most part a fair way below QAFA B.

Get excited, Pre-Season starts in a few weeks !!!

Thanks very much for your help Pea Nut! I work the same three days every week: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to play in QAFA A, but the Friday comp is definitely a good fit for me. I'm just hoping I can find a team that train on Monday or Thursday!

I do love a cold beer and would really enjoy that aspect of the competition, and the individual club I'm involved with, but am also looking for a club that has a positive team culture and attitude on the field (read: not grubs) as well. Do you have any thoughts on particular clubs that have a good/bad reputation? I know it's probably subjective, but I would appreciate any extra advice to help me find a suitable team.

Cheers again for throwing in your two cents!

Thanks for your advice! The ones who carry on like pork chops are exactly the ones I'm looking to avoid. I'm interested in the team culture, the exercise, and of course trying to win, but doing it in a way that doesn't mean trying to get into fights or cripple some bloke who's likely got to work the next day. A bit of fun with rewards for doing well thrown in.

To be fair, this comp doesn't have a huge grub factor from what I can see. There are a few loose cannons playing for Jimboomba and Colly Park, but they manage to keep them in check from what I can gather. In 7 seasons watching this league, I haven't seen a particularly dirty piece of play that I can recall, so they're all good in that regard.

I was merely referring to teams like Kedron, who take it very seriously and scream and yell in their warm up, in the rooms and on the field with boring banter and teams like Sandgate who are all a bit serious all of a sudden and a couple of other clubs with reputations for stacking their team and other shenanigans. They will all come in here and defend themselves, which is fine - I can only comment on what I observe from the outside looking in. Other teams are certainly there to win when they cross the white line, but its all a bit of fun and they don't start mouthing off and generally being tools.

I've just had a look at the Woodsmen website and they certainly seem to be a good fit for me, but their training clashes with my work night unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought training is something you would need to worry about if you chose the Woodsmen. Although, they do seem like a relaxed bunch - I sense they don't have as many 'rookies' as they had in the past, with most of their players appearing to be seasoned footballers. I could be wrong.

So, do the clubs you've mentioned in brackets have a bad rep? I'm actually reasonably close to Yeronga, so it's disappointing to hear they're less popular within the comp.

Everyone will hold a different view, just putting in my 2c from an outside perspective. I'd have thought the best bunch of blokes would be the likes of Zillmere, Woodsmen, UQ, Coorparoo etc

I was also considering UQ; what's the word on them?

forgot about them earlier. They used to be a 5th team and get smashed, but this year they were a 3rds and seemed like an eclectic bunch, but mostly in it for a bit of fun. Seemed like good blokes from my experience, and sat middle table most of the year - competitive team.

I can't dig up much information on Zillmere, but they'd be a bit too far out I think. Collingwood Park is close by so perhaps they're a good pick.

Thanks again for your help!

Collingwood Park have a handful of grubs, but they are a decent club with decent coaching staff and mostly a decent group of players in my experience, if you lived nearby I would go there for sure.

Again, these are just my opinions. I'm not affiliated with any club, but admit to a small bit of bias towards Kenmore - who I deliberately didn't comment on.

To be fair, this comp doesn't have a huge grub factor from what I can see. There are a few loose cannons playing for Jimboomba and Colly Park, but they manage to keep them in check from what I can gather. In 7 seasons watching this league, I haven't seen a particularly dirty piece of play that I can recall, so they're all good in that regard.

I was merely referring to teams like Kedron, who take it very seriously and scream and yell in their warm up, in the rooms and on the field with boring banter and teams like Sandgate who are all a bit serious all of a sudden and a couple of other clubs with reputations for stacking their team and other shenanigans. They will all come in here and defend themselves, which is fine - I can only comment on what I observe from the outside looking in. Other teams are certainly there to win when they cross the white line, but its all a bit of fun and they don't start mouthing off and generally being tools.

I wouldn't have thought training is something you would need to worry about if you chose the Woodsmen. Although, they do seem like a relaxed bunch - I sense they don't have as many 'rookies' as they had in the past, with most of their players appearing to be seasoned footballers. I could be wrong.

Everyone will hold a different view, just putting in my 2c from an outside perspective. I'd have thought the best bunch of blokes would be the likes of Zillmere, Woodsmen, UQ, Coorparoo etc

forgot about them earlier. They used to be a 5th team and get smashed, but this year they were a 3rds and seemed like an eclectic bunch, but mostly in it for a bit of fun. Seemed like good blokes from my experience, and sat middle table most of the year - competitive team.

Collingwood Park have a handful of grubs, but they are a decent club with decent coaching staff and mostly a decent group of players in my experience, if you lived nearby I would go there for sure.

Again, these are just my opinions. I'm not affiliated with any club, but admit to a small bit of bias towards Kenmore - who I deliberately didn't comment on.

Thanks for the detailed response, it has really been a huge help! The training is important for me, being new to the game and wanting to be able to contribute to the team, so I'd prefer not to miss it. I'm sure I'll be able to work something out should I choose to play there.

I'm thinking at this point it will be a choice between the Woodsmen and UQ, based on the info available online, my location, and what you've told me here. I will update you once I've made the decision and been along to a training session, which will be sooner rather than later with pre-season not far off from what I understand.

Thanks again for your help. Have a good one!

Honestly Rookie take the old mans comments with a grain of salt. He definitely goes on with some utter rubbish and because he's not mates with anyone in this comp he wouldn't know squat about the inner sanctums.

You're in a great spot to see for yourself. You can start by checking out this Friday nights grand final. Check out the huddles and have a chat to the 2 teams playing after the game. They'll all be very relaxed and keen to put the feet up after a tough season.

Then either keep an eye on each clubs facebook, website or contact the clubs directly to find out about pre season. You don't have to make up your mind before you try the ones that you're considering. Bear in mind being 3rds most squads may not even take the field before March but you may get a feel for each club.

Woodsmen could be a good fit.

Thommo or anyone else who actually plays, do you reckon old crack pipes comments on unpopular teams are accurate. Can't recall anyone having an issue with Kedron last year or the year before that? Other teams "unpopular with the other teams" what a load of utter BS.

Honestly Rookie take the old mans comments with a grain of salt. He definitely goes on with some utter rubbish and because he's not mates with anyone in this comp he wouldn't know squat about the inner sanctums.

You're in a great spot to see for yourself. You can start by checking out this Friday nights grand final. Check out the huddles and have a chat to the 2 teams playing after the game. They'll all be very relaxed and keen to put the feet up after a tough season.

Then either keep an eye on each clubs facebook, website or contact the clubs directly to find out about pre season. You don't have to make up your mind before you try the ones that you're considering. Bear in mind being 3rds most squads may not even take the field before March but you may get a feel for each club.

Thommo or anyone else who actually plays, do you reckon old crack pipes comments on unpopular teams are accurate. Can't recall anyone having an issue with Kedron last year or the year before that? Other teams "unpopular with the other teams" what a load of utter BS.

Hey ninja, thanks for chiming in. I didn't mean to take the comments regarding the other teams as 100% fact without any other evidence, but thought it was worth taking on board nonetheless. I'm not interested in a popularity contest in any case, just looking for a team that is welcoming to new players, and that can help me learn to play the game and become a positive member of the club. I don't mean to sound picky, just hoping to be a part of a positive environment and make some good mates.

I was actually planning on coming along on Friday night to see the final, and I think you're right in that it'll be a good way to get some exposure on a couple of the teams. I also think that going along to a few different teams' training sessions could work as well. Are you a part of a team yourself?

My advice would be to stay local. I travel across Brisbane to play with Ferny Grove and although i wouldn't play for any other team - the travel is a pain in the arse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't discount Yeronga. They have great facilities and welcome players of all abilities throughout their 3 teams. They train on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The thirds in particular are a very social bunch of blokes and have quite a few every year who are new to the game. Let me know if you need further info and I can give you some contacts down there.

Apart from the Devils, you can't really go wrong with most teams in this league. The woodsmen as suggested are a great bunch of blokes.

From experience would seem most clubs at all levels are very social . It is almost mandatory at some clubs to attend after match drinks. :)

So I think you will find you will fit in with any club, just enjoy yourself wherever you go.

Gee whiz do they let you on to the hallowed turf in the Div 3 finals?? I thought I'd taken the wrong turn and ended up at the Gabba the other week watching some junior finals!!

I hear on the grapevine that there is a tribunal hearing tonight. Is this to do with what happened last Friday night???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine that runner won't be allowed to be a runner for quite some time.

Well I did say that the incident was clearly observed by an AFLQ official who reported it.

I think the club should be reprimanded as well. Perhaps not to the same degree as the runner but as a club you are reponsible for your players/officials.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will keep you updated in the future to let you know where I ended up. Sorry to disrupt the conversation you had going! Hope Friday is a cracker. Cheers.

What's the set up at zillmere these days? Is there a functioning bar on site, if so is it still in the old clubhouse?

Just get a permit so they can extend their liquor license for the day to cover outside the club house and have a temporary bar set up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back