2015 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Magpies vs Panthers game today.Full credit to the magpies,,,,their pressure and tackling was fantastic,( for the whole game,), which had Panther players turning over the pill on so many occasions it wasn't funny. Biggest difference though was the Magpies backline,,, it murdered the Panthers forwards, very similar to Labrador against the Panthers a few weeks back. The Panthers forwards really need to step up their defensive efforts,, the pill is getting out of there to easily , .

Watched the Magpies vs Panthers game today.Full credit to the magpies,,,,their pressure and tackling was fantastic,( for the whole game,), which had Panther players turning over the pill on so many occasions it wasn't funny. Biggest difference though was the Magpies backline,,, it murdered the Panthers forwards, very similar to Labrador against the Panthers a few weeks back. The Panthers forwards really need to step up their defensive efforts,, the pill is getting out of there to easily , .
So stuy do you think it is personnel, attitude or coaching being the difference in the 2015 Panthers?

Tipping Round 10

QAFL_Fan (5) 40
Lifes a Beach1 (4) 37
swamp13 (2) 37
Stuyd1 (3) 37
Chikka Ferguson (3) 36
Live Baiting (3) 36
Dezario (4) 36
Magpieboy (5) 36
Footymaad (3) 34
Spooner21 (3) 30
Thunderdoc (4) 30

Perfect 5 to QAFL_Fan and Magpieboy both well done, QAFL_Fan has kicked to stretch the lead slightly, thought something was brewing when you and Thunderdoc picked Magpies.(Magpieboy I expected you to pick them).Have a great week guys.

So stuy do you think it is personnel, attitude or coaching being the difference in the 2015 Panthers?

Well ive seen them against the Magpies, Labrador and Broadbeach this season. So from those games I don't think its the coaching heirachy. Attitude appears ok,so for me I think the players they lost from season 2014 were a fairly good list of talent and experience thus the playing list is nowhere near as strong as 2014.Thats it in a nutshell..
Also, their forwards defensive workrates are sub standard and both Magpies and Labrador exposed this big time , setting up numerous forward thrusts from the last line of defence.,
Finally, I feel they are a little slow overall in leg speed. This was another area where Labrador and Magpies exposed them.

Also thought the Nash nomination for the Guilford was a step in the right direction , a player who had been in the best 7 times in a good football side deserves recognition.

Re Morningside playing list, have to agree. In addition to players retiring and younger players lost to NEAFL at end of last season, have Johnson (CHF) and Wyld (FB) out injured for season, and ?Logan no longer playing. Add to that regular injury outs (eg Spackman on weekend), there are quite a few new faces playing each week at the moment.

they still have a very strong list comparatively to the Magpies.

Lake is getting found out a bit, he's never been much of a coach imho

Came across this interesting article this week

WILSTON Grange Australia Football Club turned 70 last Saturday.

The club’s solitary team in 1945, playing in a newly introduced under-15 competition, lost to Mayne 11 points to nil.

A couple of years later, Ken Grimley, who became Wilston Grange’s first player signed by a VFL club, rode his horse to a meeting at the house of club co-founder George Hall.

“I was 11 and my mate and I both rode our horses. I remember Mr Hall wasn’t happy because our horses ate the flowers in his front yard,’’ Grimley said.

“We trained under a street light around the old rose gardens not far from Grange-Thistle’s soccer ground at Lanham Park. We used to kick the footy around between the rose bushes.’’

George Hall’s son Lionel, who died recently after being involved with the club for almost 70 years, typified the spirit which has seen the Gorillas survive seven decades.

Lionel Hall played in the club’s first team in 1945, was a member of their first senior QAFL premiership in 1955 and won two “clubman of the year” awards 40 years apart. He was still mowing the surrounds of the Hickey Park clubhouse until 2013.

These words were spoken at his funeral: “Lionel was loyal, honest and took great pride in the things he was involved with. His capacity to give far outweighed the need to take. These qualities are what we hope to embed in the DNA of Wilston Grange Football Club. His

greatest legacy will be that he helped mould our culture by example, not by talking about it.”

Grimley played alongside Hall in the club’s first senior premiership side in 1955 and was later signed by Fitzroy for the ’57 season.

At only his second VFL appearance Grimley kicked six goals from full-forward against Geelong at Kardinia Park.

He returned to Wilston Grange in 1958 and is credited with giving the club its “Gorillas” nickname.

Grimley later played five seasons and five grand-finals for Coorparoo and won the coveted Grogan Medal in 1964.

“I came back to Wilston Grange in 1966 but broke my leg during the season and retired,’’ he said.

In 1964, more than 5000 people attended the official opening of the Wilston Grange clubhouse at Hickey Park, claimed to be the first licensed club of any football code in Queensland.

The resilience and grit of the Gorillas was never more evident than in 1998 when the club went into voluntary receivership and looked destined to fold. It came after a period of great despair for inner-city football clubs in Brisbane with rugby league institutions Valleys, Brothers and Wests hit hard and Aussie rules clubs Mayne and Kedron enduring similar fates.

Peter Butler, who served on Wilston Grange’s committee from 1991 to 2010 and was president for six years, has vivid memories of those dark days.

“I had my van packed with all the gear needed by the senior teams to complete the season should we have had to close the doors,’’ he said.
“Our choice was to revert to a social club or become a voluntary football club.

“It took us two annual general meetings to find a president later that year and we were probably one minute from extinction before Mike Lambart put up his hand to do the job.’’

Butler admits the road back has often been an uphill slog but careful planning and hardworking volunteers have triumphed with the club fielding six senior teams (including a women’s squad) and 350 juniors on the books this year.

“We hope to start work on a $1.5 million project incorporating new dressing room facilities later this year,’’ said Butler.

When AFLQ announced a Team of the Century in 2003, Wilston Grange players Grimley, Keith Leach, Barry Clarke and Scott McIvor, were named but Gorillas stalwarts were stunned one of the club’s favourite sons, Syd Guildford, was overlooked.

Guildford played 32 games for Queensland and made a record 333 senior appearances for his club. He was never reported and played the 1977 grand final with his jaw broken in two places.

A gifted all-rounder, Guildford represented Queensland in cricket and soccer as a junior and also played pennants grade squash, golf and tennis.

Peter Butler, who started with the club as a junior in 1964, poses a poignant question: “How do you define a great football club? Should it be by the number of premierships, finances or the size or elegance of the clubhouse?

“Or by the calibre of people in it, friendships formed or the notion it exists and endues over a long period. In the end, premierships and finances are the bonuses ... people and effort are the currency.”

■ THE history of Wilston Grange, Inside the Gorillas’ Den will be launched at the club’s 70th year reunion on August 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back