Game Day 2015 Replacement Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you say access to finals game and a likely grand final ticket next year would be adequate compensation?
Purchasing this membership is more than just a value for money option, it is about supporting our club and helping to make the club financially stable.
Otherwise you could shop around other teams for a better value option.

Would you say access to finals game and a likely grand final ticket next year would be adequate compensation?
Purchasing this membership is more than just a value for money option, it is about supporting our club and helping to make the club financially stable.

No problems with any of that. I'll always be a member of North Melbourne.

All I am saying is that we are only playing eight home games in Melbourne with GA access to another three, the cost of the membership should reflect this and not what we used to get pre-Hobart.

Back when we were playing 11 home games in Melbourne, it worked out to be around $45 dollars per game including the seat.

We are now playing three less games, but the membership has not decreased to reflect this change as those three replacement games only give access to the ground which costs much less than a seat.

This year we pay $535 for eight games with a seat and access to general admin for three others.

In 2011, Schimma was $495 for 11 games with a seat.

This is where the angst comes from.
In effect we are paying $22 more per home game for our membership. How much is GA these days? $25? We get three of these back so in effect we are paying roughly $110 more for our membership in 2015 than in 2011 all up. The current arrangement allows the club to bring in a further $1million plus via Tassie to put towards the club. If we then asked for that money to be given back to us (lets say we have 10,000 reserved seat members with a 'payback' cost of say $70 per member) you can say goodbye to the vast majority of that profit.

I understand your angst, but my position is that yes, we take a hit, but * it, the club is getting stronger off the back of it.

Your quality of product has improved dramatically TPA.

We should really push the club for the away section idea &or the bigfooty membership where we have dedicated bays in each membership category?!!

Does ANY club in the AFL provide an away section with reserved seats? I remember one of our CEOs years ago talking up this possibility but don't know if anyone has been able to make it happen anywhere.

Does ANY club in the AFL provide an away section with reserved seats? I remember one of our CEOs years ago talking up this possibility but don't know if anyone has been able to make it happen anywhere.

I believe Collingwood has that option, or did.

They don't. It seems strange that it can't be done especially in an environment where teams are playing in secondary markets. We should have the option to have a reserve seat at all our ganes. Home and away as it's unlike that even 1 of our games will be a sell out.

Sell the seats before your team starts losing sounds like a no brainer to me. Our cut would be smaller but at least we maximise revenue.

I believe Collingwood has that option, or did.

I believe that's correct.

I'm with Btron in that I'm comfortable with the club making a little extra cream if it makes them stronger. My membership is not fundamentally about value for money in the direct access to game sense. With that said I would be VERY, VERY happy if the club could manage to arrange something along the lines of either reserved away seating or alternatively designated bays for away games in Melbourne. It would be nice if when playing another Melbourne team we could rock up and sit together. We saw during the finals that the atmosphere is much improved by grouping supporters as much as possible.

When people refer to normal seating arrangements, they do realise that their reserved seats are actually used by opposition club reserved seat holders at their own home games right?

If our members want the equivalent level reserved seat (but not the same seat) for these replacement games, the only option right now is to book and pay for that reserved seat through the ticketing agency. If the club was able to offer this as part of the membership package, then you can guarantee the membership cost would go up by the equivalent amount because the opposition club and the stadium and the AFL all have to be compensated for giving up reserved seats at these away games. The current arrangement of non-reserved seats at replacement games doesn't hurt the club as much because they only have to pay the stadium and opposition club if you scan the barcode and enter the stadium. Non-attendance at a replacement game is money in the bank for NMFC. As I say, a reserved seat would have to be paid for whether you attend or not.
How about when I attend a replacement game I head down to ticketek scan my barcode and reserve a level 2 seat without charge (except a ticketing fee of $10 or whatever it is these days). Therefore the club only pays for those who attend. Might actually get a few more to show up.

Surely that article is only talking about the AFL going back to how they ticketed games before last season's debacle - but that doesn't change the fact that EFC home games at Docklands have been fully ticketed for years and presumably that won't change just because games like Hawks v Geelong won't be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about when I attend a replacement game I head down to ticketek scan my barcode and reserve a level 2 seat without charge (except a ticketing fee of $10 or whatever it is these days). Therefore the club only pays for those who attend. Might actually get a few more to show up.

Just to understand what you are suggesting... do you mean to say that you would pay the extra $20 per replacement game in your membership to cover a reserved seat, but that it only gets reserved, and therefore paid by the club to the stadium effectively on the day after you scan at the Ticketek booth? I can see that working, although of course it would be a random seat on Level 2. The only danger would be in overselling Level 2. The replacement games would have to be against clubs like Melbourne, Bulldogs, maybe StKilda while they are crap. I don't know how Docklands Stadium breaks down, but supposing there are 20,000 seats on Level 2, at least 5,000 of those are Medallion Club, AFL Members, Function Room allocated and so forth. So with 15,000 left for the home club to sell as reserved seat memberships for ALL of their home games as a package, we are looking to sell a quantity of those for just one game. Obviously we wouldn't be allowed to limit their ability to sell seats for all of their home games because we want the seats for one game. We get the dregs, which for a club like the cheats* would possibly amount to only a few hundred unsold Level 2 seats.

Just to understand what you are suggesting... do you mean to say that you would pay the extra $20 per replacement game in your membership to cover a reserved seat, but that it only gets reserved, and therefore paid by the club to the stadium effectively on the day after you scan at the Ticketek booth? I can see that working, although of course it would be a random seat on Level 2. The only danger would be in overselling Level 2. The replacement games would have to be against clubs like Melbourne, Bulldogs, maybe StKilda while they are crap. I don't know how Docklands Stadium breaks down, but supposing there are 20,000 seats on Level 2, at least 5,000 of those are Medallion Club, AFL Members, Function Room allocated and so forth. So with 15,000 left for the home club to sell as reserved seat memberships for ALL of their home games as a package, we are looking to sell a quantity of those for just one game. Obviously we wouldn't be allowed to limit their ability to sell seats for all of their home games because we want the seats for one game. We get the dregs, which for a club like the cheats* would possibly amount to only a few hundred unsold Level 2 seats.

The replacement games against bigger clubs should be at the MCG.

A North Melbourne replacement home game against Carlton at the MCG on a Friday night would get how many?

All Carlton Home game members + all North Home game members? crowd would be in the 60k region.

Some good points there LT. Not sure about having to pay an extra $20 per game, in saying that I pay more than that for replacement games at the moment for me and my son to sit Level2. I suppose it depends on how many Level 2 reserved seat memberships we have as a club. I don't seem to have issues getting the reserved level 2 seats when buying through ticketek but that might change if it we were given free entry. I think raising the membership price whilst taking a game away is a bit rich and probably wouldn't have been done if we were not contenders. Not all our supporters are as die hard as most on here so we would be kidding ourselves if this was not an influence on the sales of premium memberships.

Members are entitled to complain about the value of their membership without being told “to shop around for another team”. Your comment re access to finals games as adequate compensation is incorrect, you don't have to be a club member to get tickets to finals.

My family, like many other members, have purchased the Special Memberships even when there was no chance of North playing in the Grand final. We did it to support our Club.

The Club has deprived us of home games where we had reserved seats, yet has the gall to increase our membership fees. Also increased the debt reduction amount to $40 .Less for more. No communication sent to members, we read about it in the paper

Please don't insult people, who have a genuine grievous, by telling them to "shop around for a better value club" . Many have put their hard earned into the Club since they first earned a wage.
My family includes people who have been members for more than 50 years.
The Club used to recognise them with a morning tea each season. Not any more.

Members are entitled to complain about the value of their membership without being told “to shop around for another team”. Your comment re access to finals games as adequate compensation is incorrect, you don't have to be a club member to get tickets to finals.

My family, like many other members, have purchased the Special Memberships even when there was no chance of North playing in the Grand final. We did it to support our Club.

The Club has deprived us of home games where we had reserved seats, yet has the gall to increase our membership fees. Also increased the debt reduction amount to $40 .Less for more. No communication sent to members, we read about it in the paper

Please don't insult people, who have a genuine grievous, by telling them to "shop around for a better value club" . Many have put their hard earned into the Club since they first earned a wage.
I too have put my hard earned into the club for as long as I have been able... If you think the club aren't providing good value for money go see how much collingwood and hawthorn charge! I honestly believe that the club provides our members with great access, and makes us feel like part of the family.
My point about us being rewarded with finals games is about the club providing us with value on the field.

Exactly. Dino Dibra has a lot to answer for. :stern look

People will complain over anything! Buying a membership is supporting the club. I'll miss 8 weeks of footy during June and July this year, however still bought the schimma membership to support the club!

If you want premium seating to watch our club play, this is the going rate. Increased Schimma memberships proves there is strong demand for this type of membership, whilst the supply is decreasing. The club has a right to increase prices.

At the end if the day, increased profits = member benefit!

People will complain over anything! Buying a membership is supporting the club. I'll miss 8 weeks of footy during June and July this year, however still bought the schimma membership to support the club!

If you want premium seating to watch our club play, this is the going rate. Increased Schimma memberships proves there is strong demand for this type of membership, whilst the supply is decreasing. The club has a right to increase prices.

At the end if the day, increased profits = member benefit!
There's a difference when that's what you choose. In this case it's been forced on people and some are suggesting one of their choices is to not renew their membership, or downgrade it, if what they've been purchasing isn't value for money.

To suggest purchasing a membership is only about supporting your club is idealist I think.

I too have put my hard earned into the club for as long as I have been able... If you think the club aren't providing good value for money go see how much collingwood and hawthorn charge! I honestly believe that the club provides our members with great access, and makes us feel like part of the family.
My point about us being rewarded with finals games is about the club providing us with value on the field.
You miss the point entirely. Re “value on the field” my group has purchased 8 “Special Memberships” ever since they were introduced. "Value on the field" for some of those seasons was non-existent and we did not even think about measuring it.

One season North won one game. Some of the Laidley years the football style was so painful I wanted to poke my eye out with a fork. We still paid the extra dollars and sucked it up because we are North people.

If North play poorly this year where does your “value for money” justification stand.

I took up your challenge re other Clubs. Comparison of same benefits ie home reserved seats and Priority one Grand Final ticket.

Collingwood and Hawthorn have none available. Fairly obvious why for Hawks as they think they are guaranteed to play in Grand Final and Pies Fans are eternal optimists.

Richmond $525 divide by 11 home games = $47.72 per game

Essendon $585 = $53.18 per game

North $465 =$58.12 per game

I am not going to continue to debate it with you but I know my point of view is held by many other supporters. Some "Roo for Life" members have have put their memberships on hold when they saw the increase.

I also believe the Club needs to be very careful about alienating the long standing members who are the backbone.

Some "Roo for Life" members have have put their memberships on hold when they saw the increase
I'll put my hand up at this stage and say "yep, that's me".

My reserved seat which I've had for the last half a dozen years as an Archer's Legend member is on hold and pending review. I'll always be a member, but given some personal circumstance changes it's becoming harder to just automatically give the green light on this level of expenditure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back