2015 Roland Garros

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see someone win that wasnt Nadal, Fed, Djoker or Murray. Stan is really crashing that top four party that those guys have enjoyed for years. With Nadal looking mortal and Federer slowing, it's opening up for other players. I hope we see more players winning slams. Change it up a bit.

Loved watching that final. Stan wasn't just ball bashing either, it was a masterful display of controlled, attacking tennis. Djokovic's strategy was to lengthen the rallies as much as possible, not give Stan too much pace to work with and get the ball up high with topspin...a strategy that has worked on clay forever. But great attack beat great defence this time.

Wawrinka should be a big chance at Wimbledon.

Loved watching that final. Stan wasn't just ball bashing either, it was a masterful display of controlled, attacking tennis. Djokovic's strategy was to lengthen the rallies as much as possible, not give Stan too much pace to work with and get the ball up high with topspin...a strategy that has worked on clay forever. But great attack beat great defence this time.

Wawrinka should be a big chance at Wimbledon.

This type of tennis reminded me of the 90s and early 2000s with the likes of Sampras and Agassi playing attacking and smart tennis.

Feel asleep half way through the third. Watched recording this morning.
Stan! What a machine!
Held his nerve when that championship point serve was just out.
As others mentioned Djokovic showed good sportsmanship and gracious in defeat.
Quality final.
Anyone get $ for backing him $6+ to win it?

Happy days for Stan wins his second slam and goes home to Donna Vekic.

I've been a fan of the Stanimal since 2011 so I'm stoked for him. I actually feel for Novak as this was a huge mental barrier he could have overcome with winning the French Open after years of dominance from Rafa but he failed today but I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Stan played the game of his life. I think that was his best performance since the 2013 Australian Open when he played Novak then. He matches up well against him especially with his powerful backhands but what's remarkable is that Stan's forehand has improved immensely as well which gives him more weapons at his disposal. I was gutted Tsonga lost in the Semis as he's my favourite player on the tour but Stan is right up there with him though in terms of my favourites.

After witnessing Stan's success in the Australian Open last year I'm pleased that he backed it up again this year proving that last year was no fluke. A phenomenal player who will inspire other players to match it with the best in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After witnessing Stan's success in the Australian Open last year I'm pleased that he backed it up again this year proving that last year was no fluke. A phenomenal player who will inspire other players to match it with the best in the world.
Djokovic is my favourite player and I sure am shattered for him that he wasn't able to win the RG title. I'm not sure he could have put himself in a better position than he did last night. To beat Nadal and Murray, then lose the final is going to be a huge hurdle for him to overcome. Will be very interesting to see how he responds at Wimbledon. I think this defeat is going to sting for a while.

In saying that, I am very happy for Stan. I watched the first 2 sets last night, saw his match against Fed, watched the semi against Tsonga. He deserves this title. Just played sensational, aggressive, controlled, dominant tennis. The sport needs an attacking minded player to win the big titles, it is very important. This is why I highlighted part of your post before, the ability to inspire others. Make no doubt about it, tennis needs players who play with the mentality of Stan, because it means that it will inspire juniors to play like him. And to keep the single handed backhand in the game, we need players like Stan to win slams.

Stan totally deserved the AO title in 2014. But with Nadal having that injury query over him in the final, there would always be some small doubt from some whether Stan could do it with a fully fit opponent. If anyone had a question over him before last night, it no longer remains. Seeing as the start of the clay court season he had the public announcement of his marriage breakdown, he seemed to be a little lost on the tennis court. Suffered a couple of losses to Dimitrov at MS events and I don't think anyone thought at that point he would be a contender in Paris. Boy did he turn it around. Congratulations Stan.

One of the most emotional moments I have seen in all of sport when the Parisian crowd gave Novak a standing ovation lasting several minutes. In the end he just couldn't hold himself together and he wept. He finally proved himself mortal tonight.

I think he has been under appreciated as an athlete even with all his titles, but this moment may have changed that.

Novak played close to his best. He certainty didn't choke. Stan was just too good on the day.

Well done for being great in defeat though, some players could learn a bit from that.

That said Novak...GET A GAMEPLAN that works against Wawrinka. It shouldn't be a nightmare matchup.

1. Attack...this defensive trash won't beat Wawrinka, it never has recently, so bin it!
2. Come into the net a bit more
3. Stop flopping opportunities away and if you get ahead, don't go safe
4. Stop playing like you are AFRAID to lose, it opens the match up for Wawrinka to swing and swing hard.

In the end, disappointed for Novak, and personally I can't stand Wawrinka one single bit, however only 1 player was playing to win today and it wasn't Novak. I'm happy that Wawrinka won tonight.

F**k me you talk s**t.

F**k me you talk s**t.
He's actually spot on for once in his life. The occasion quite simply got to Novak and his gameplan went out the bin after a few games. I don't think I've ever seen that many failed dropshots from anyone in the top 10 before, let alone the world number one. It's almost as if he had some sort of tactic to go backhand to backhand with Wawrinka which opened up the down the line shot nearly every time. Quite strange.

When he was winning points, he won them by being aggressive and taking his own backhand up the line instead of cross-court.

If it's possible to be disappointed with a career total of 8 Grand Slams, I reckon Djokovic might just be that man. 16 times he's made the final. And 10 other times he's made the Semis. Compare that to Nadal: 20 Finals, and 3 Semi Finals. And yet Rafa has almost double the Slams.

Novak's strike rate at the pointy end of tournaments is relatively poor. Absolute gun player but he's lost a lot of 'big' matches.

If it's possible to be disappointed with a career total of 8 Grand Slams, I reckon Djokovic might just be that man. 16 times he's made the final. And 10 other times he's made the Semis. Compare that to Nadal: 20 Finals, and 3 Semi Finals. And yet Rafa has almost double the Slams.

Novak's strike rate at the pointy end of tournaments is relatively poor. Absolute gun player but he's lost a lot of 'big' matches.

Actually its relatively average for grandslams and above average for tournaments overall. Nadal is an exception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back