2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you not think your bench and sub line is a little bit small mate?
Nope. Again, in my opinion, skill/smarts renders size irrelevant. People overestimate the value of a few cms.

Also, with the modern game being how it is, we have plenty of big blokes that can run through the midfield (Stringer, Bonts, Crameri.) I don't think it's that big a deal. From what I'm hearing about Bev's game style, it might suit smaller, skilled players (More run-and-gun instead of a possession-based defensive style.)

Last edited:

Assuming Fronk and a few others are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them) and Crameri is unavailable...

B: Picken - Roughead - Morris
HB: Wood - Talia - Murphy
C: Macrae - M. Boyd - Johannisen
HF: Dahlhaus - A. Cordy - Hunter
FF: Stringer - T. Boyd - Honeychurch
R: Minson - Wallis - Liberatore
IC: Bontempelli - Hrovat - Jong - Daniel

I'd like to have Cordy there as a chop-out for Will. I'm a big Campbell fan, but I'm not comfortable with putting him in the same side as T.Boyd and Minson. Ayce can look like a spider on a hot-plate at times, but he's training well after a solid 2014.

This is just a general line-up for the early stages of the season, but knowing we're playing West Coast, it might be prudent (Prudden?) to select Fletcher Roberts, if the versatile Wood isn't capable of taking on a taller opponent. I'd have him in the side ahead of Talia, but the rehabilitation on his shoulder has likely interrupted his pre-season, whereas Tals has had a clear run at it and looks very good.

Dahlhaus should return to his favoured role as a small forward (with Hrovat going into the midfield), and take advantage of what will likely be a vastly improved structure. Hunter could yet play anywhere on the ground, but I'd like to see him make an impact on the scoreboard as well as pushing up to the middle. Put Honeychurch at T.Boyd's feet and enjoy the goalfest.

Of the draftees, I like Zaine's chances of an early debut, and Toby McLean is moving well, but Caleb Daniel is the stand-out. I'd be interested to hear what people think of Lukas Webb's chances in the short term.

Assuming Fronk and a few others are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them) and Crameri is unavailable...

I'd like to have Cordy there as a chop-out for Will. I'm a big Campbell fan, but I'm not comfortable with putting him in the same side as T.Boyd and Minson. Ayce can look like a spider on a hot-plate at times, but he's training well after a solid 2014.

This is just a general line-up for the early stages of the season, but knowing we're playing West Coast, it might be prudent (Prudden?) to select Fletcher Roberts, if the versatile Wood isn't capable of taking on a taller opponent. I'd have him in the side ahead of Talia, but the rehabilitation on his shoulder has likely interrupted his pre-season, whereas Tals has had a clear run at it and looks very good.

Dahlhaus should return to his favoured role as a small forward (with Hrovat going into the midfield), and take advantage of what will likely be a vastly improved structure. Hunter could yet play anywhere on the ground, but I'd like to see him make an impact on the scoreboard as well as pushing up to the middle. Put Honeychurch at T.Boyd's feet and enjoy the goalfest.

Of the draftees, I like Zaine's chances of an early debut, and Toby McLean is moving well, but Caleb Daniel is the stand-out. I'd be interested to hear what people think of Lukas Webb's chances in the short term.

Think Biggs is stiff not to slot in straight away, he can almost take Picken's spot in the defence, Have woody go to the small forward and Picken to go back to his role of midfield tagger to free Wally up. I'd pick Redpath as the forward/2nd ruck to Cordy at this stage even though Cordy is a far superior ruck than Redpath is. Which leads me onto another thing, people have often said we could play Fletch in that Swingman CHF/CHB role to free roughy into the ruck if needed. Why can't we play big red in this role who has spent several VFL seasons both forward and back. With the extra mobility he has gained this season I think its worth the try.

Athough I do agree we must take 2 ruckmen into the eagles game and I do like the Jong and Honeychurch selections and Caleb too as well as dahl as that permanent forward to make us more dangerous. We need 3 30 + goal kickers this season and Dahlhaus/Stringer/Crameri as well as contributions from Boyd will help us in this regard.

Think Biggs is stiff not to slot in straight away, he can almost take Picken's spot in the defence, Have woody go to the small forward and Picken to go back to his role of midfield tagger to free Wally up. I'd pick Redpath as the forward/2nd ruck to Cordy at this stage even though Cordy is a far superior ruck than Redpath is. Which leads me onto another thing, people have often said we could play Fletch in that Swingman CHF/CHB role to free roughy into the ruck if needed. Why can't we play big red in this role who has spent several VFL seasons both forward and back. With the extra mobility he has gained this season I think its worth the try.

Athough I do agree we must take 2 ruckmen into the eagles game and I do like the Jong and Honeychurch selections and Caleb too as well as dahl as that permanent forward to make us more dangerous. We need 3 30 + goal kickers this season and Dahlhaus/Stringer/Crameri as well as contributions from Boyd will help us in this regard.
Biggs certainly could slot in from the start. While typing out the back six, I made a mental note to include him on the bench, but had forgotten by the time I got down there. I like Picken as a tagger, too, but I suppose his position back there is just a starting point. He's proved adept at nullifying small forwards, but I'm with you in wanting him to play a tagging role more often than not.

Redpath looks confident and mobile this pre-season - not words I'd have used to describe him in 2014. I'm not sure he makes it, nor do I think he'll play in the same team as Boyd too often, but he's earned his chance in the meantime. I've got Cordy ahead of him because of Ayce's superior ruckwork and mobility, but I'd have no quarrels with Redpath being selected ahead of him, so long as Minson is fit to ruck for an overwhelming majority of the game.

It'll be interesting to see where the goals come from - we can probably count on the names you mentioned, but we may get a few out of Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat or even Toby McLean, who could surprise and play his fair share of games at AFL level.

Biggs certainly could slot in from the start. While typing out the back six, I made a mental note to include him on the bench, but had forgotten by the time I got down there. I like Picken as a tagger, too, but I suppose his position back there is just a starting point. He's proved adept at nullifying small forwards, but I'm with you in wanting him to play a tagging role more often than not.

Redpath looks confident and mobile this pre-season - not words I'd have used to describe him in 2014. I'm not sure he makes it, nor do I think he'll play in the same team as Boyd too often, but he's earned his chance in the meantime. I've got Cordy ahead of him because of Ayce's superior ruckwork and mobility, but I'd have no quarrels with Redpath being selected ahead of him, so long as Minson is fit to ruck for an overwhelming majority of the game.

It'll be interesting to see where the goals come from - we can probably count on the names you mentioned, but we may get a few out of Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat or even Toby McLean, who could surprise and play his fair share of games at AFL level.

Our search for a mobile ruckman who can play CHF is the one that intrigues me most obviously I agree with you in that Boyd and Campbell both in the forward line is problematic and I have serious qualms with Cordy I just don't think he will get there. Redpath could be the bloke that allows us to push Roughy into that KPD/2nd Ruck and just follows those Tippett types around the park whether back or in the ruck. I think Mclean will get a serious crack this year and so too will daniel.

Serious question Nath. Do you think we can move the ball the way we want with that back 6?? That is probably our best defensive back 6, but I wonder whether the new coach might err more on the side of attack rather than defence, and use guys like Darley, Biggs and Roberts down there. Will be interesting.

Serious question Nath. Do you think we can move the ball the way we want with that back 6?? That is probably our best defensive back 6, but I wonder whether the new coach might err more on the side of attack rather than defence, and use guys like Darley, Biggs and Roberts down there. Will be interesting.
That's a good point you raise, and no, I don't think we can. In an ideal world, quick and accurate disposal from the defensive 50 would be a feature of our game, but I don't think the players I've named are all capable of that.

Beveridge seemingly possesses a different philosophy, but I've erred on the side of defense, picking Talia on the basis of his fitness & size as opposed to Roberts' quality ball use - mind you, this is purely based on Sid's post-op rehab and the associated setbacks.

Biggs probably slots straight in, which causes some dissonance, seeing as Wood has sought to add a more attacking element to his game and would be wasted deep in defence, and Biggs is obviously best utilised off a flank. Who do we pick, and where, and in which role? It may come down to versatility.

I imagine that there will be some trial and error, and that we'll settle on a mix of offense and defence later in the year, pending injury, results and other factors.

It'll interest me above all to see how we line up against the Eagles - do we pick a team, and a backline, with a bit of potency and try to play the game on our terms, as we will against weaker opposition, or attempt to counter their giants and back the aforementioned players to move the ball quickly and accurately?

Time will tell, I suppose - the most infuriating aspect of the off-season. Bring it on.

I honestly don't want the season to come more quicker, we're so far off from most teams that it isn't funny
both in terms of fitness & in skill,
anyway...moving on

in terms of match ups, who would be the best fit for Roberts to play on?

Another shot at this in view of the Crameri possibility of being out:

B: Roughead - Morris - Hunter
HB: Wood - Roberts - Murphy
C: Stevens - Jong - Macrae
HF: Dahlhaus - Stringer - Bontempelli
FF: T.Boyd - Redpath - Hrovat
R: Minson - Boyd - Liberatore
IC: Wallis - Picken - Talia - Biggs/Darley/Johannisen

Bev has stated that he will be a coach that moulds the game plan around the list, not the other way round like our previous coaches. Therefore I believe he will pick a team based on our strengths, and pick players in the position that best suits them and the team...and to me this is refreshing!

Therefore I think Redpath is going to get a gig at full forward. He is the only true fast, straight leading, straight kicking 194 cm option on the list.
Jong in the centre square as he is tough and has a good burst of pace
T. Boyd in a pocket. Seriously folks, this guy is not a full or Centre half forward. Not now, not in five years time.
Hunter in the back pocket, Picken to be on the way out by years end.
Hrovat has shown he has a few tricks and a knack for a goal.
Talia on the bench to add height to the backline. I'm hoping that Beveridge isn't the kind of coach that will let Morris play on forwards 4 inches taller than him. Therefore both Roberts and Talia both get a gig, with Roberts providing the option to go forward.

I like this team on paper but there is a decent hole in the midfield without Griffen, Cooney and Higgins, no matter what we think of them now. We are seriously lacking pace which is why I think Jong is a lock for round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't want the season to come more quicker, we're so far off from most teams that it isn't funny
both in terms of fitness & in skill,
anyway...moving on

in terms of match ups, who would be the best fit for Roberts to play on?
In terms of the Roberts match up probably Josh Kennedy, although the
six shooter with the revolving chamber approach may work well with four
tall defenders working together to read the entries rather than velcro
themselves to their opponents Dale Morris style. If you are not strong
enough to engage then don't, read the ball and focus up the ground
more in terms of limiting the quality of the delivery. Yes we are a fair
way off the top sides, but there is opportunity for some of our players
to step up and own it. You never know we could end up with some new
heroes that we did not expect.

Where our recruiting has fallen down is with defenders who can hurt the opposition the other way. Our defenders have been recruited alas great 1v1. I hate the thought of a team with a back line of 4 defensive defenders. How many do we need? 3?
If 3, then our team can only have 3 of Talia, Roughhead, Morris, Picken.
That probably means that picken has to move into the crowded midfield.
We can then play 3-5 rebounders:
Murphy, Darley, Roberts, Biggs, Hunter
If we take 4 defensive first, plus 4 rebounder into round 1, that is 8 spots done.
Only 14 left, certainties:
Bonti, stringer, macrae, T Boyd, Dahl, Libba, Wallis, Minson, M Boyd
5 to Choose from:
Hrovat, Stevens, Honeychurch, Grant, Redpath, Cordy, Jong, JJ, Daniel, McLean, Campbell, Webb, Wood
Nearly all our teams currently have this configuration with variation dependent on how you would like your team to attack:
Running attack, means short fast players
Kicking attacking, means kicking and marking players
Contested style, take all 1v1 players you can find and follow Macca's kick down the line and hope strategy
Edited: forgot Wood

Last edited:
Where our recruiting has fallen down is with defenders who can hurt the opposition the other way. Our defenders have been recruited alas great 1v1. I hate the thought of a team with a back line of 4 defensive defenders. How many do we need? 3?
If 3, then our team can only have 3 of Talia, Roughhead, Morris, Picken.
That probably means that picken has to move into the crowded midfield.
We can then play 3-5 rebounders:
Murphy, Darley, Roberts, Biggs, Hunter
If we take 4 defensive first, plus 4 rebounder into round 1, that is 8 spots done.
Only 14 left, certainties:
Bonti, stringer, macrae, T Boyd, Dahl, Libba, Wallis, Minson, M Boyd
5 to Choose from:
Hrovat, Stevens, Honeychurch, Grant, Redpath, Cordy, Jong, JJ, Daniel, McLean, Campbell, Webb
Nearly all our teams currently have this configuration with variation dependent on how you would like your team to attack:
Running attack, means short fast players
Kicking attacking, means kicking and marking players
Contested style, take all 1v1 players you can find and follow Macca's kick down the line and hope strategy

I like the idea of pushing Picken into the midfield to resume his tagging ability and I think your forgetting Wood. Hes in my best 22 everyday of the week and he could play the small shutdown defender who can also help out the KPD's by coming 3rd man in with his leap and athleticism. Also if he is having a poor game we can just push him up to a wing, picken back into defence and use wally as the tagger. I'd certainly have Murph and Biggs as our starting rebounders and I'd also chose Roberts over Talia because of his superior ball use. Roberts can take the 2nd or 3rd tall forward (depending on the size of opposition KPF's) and just have Roughy and Moz as the two pure shutdown defenders. This gives us a backline of

Moz, Roughy, Wood
Biggs, Roberts, Murphy

(Presuming Crameri gets the ban) Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Minno, Libba, Wallis, Picken, T.Boyd, M.Boyd all are automatic selections and I would add Hrovat and Hunter to that list too giving us 4 more spots to fill which would fill with players with great speed or skills so I have chosen JJ, Jong, Darley and we still need another tall so I have chosen Redpath whom I believe can play either end as that 2nd/3rd tall.

Gives us a team of

FB: Moz, Roughead, Wood
HB: Biggs, Roberts, Murphy

Good thing about our backline is there is plenty of experience and some creativity. All of these guys are 23 or over with the exception of Roberts and we have 2 195cm + KPD's 2 mid sized defenders in Moz and Wood and our 2 rebounders. Think Fletch might surprise a few and cement his spot.

C: JJ, Bontempelli, Macrae
R: Minson, Liberatore, Wallis

Picks itself really as well as including JJ to provide extra speed on the wings, no doubt bev wants more pace and line breakers on the wing so would not be surprised if Wood pushes onto a wing too on occasions to try and replicate the Hill/Smith combo Hawthorn use albeit theirs is obviously better.

HF: Hunter, Redpath, Hrovat
FF: T.Boyd, Stringer, Dahlhaus

Without Crameri we are very light on experience but the amount of talent is enormous. Redpath really just has to play a role and the majority of our goals must come from our FF line in Boyd Stringer and Dahlhaus. Despite word that Dahl and Stringer are training with the midfield, without crameri we have virtually no proven goal kickers if those two push into the middle so Stringer and Dahl must stay deep or T.Boyd will be triple teamed which we can ill afford.

Int: Jong, Picken, Darley
Sub: M.Boyd

Gone for speed, a tagger and creativity with Boyd to fill the sub role. I really hope Daniel, Mclean, Stevens, Honey etc who would be right on fringe can push some of these guys out of the side.

Another shot at this in view of the Crameri possibility of being out:

Therefore I think Redpath is going to get a gig at full forward. He is the only true fast, straight leading, straight kicking 194 cm option on the list.
Jong in the centre square as he is tough and has a good burst of pace
T. Boyd in a pocket. Seriously folks, this guy is not a full or Centre half forward. Not now, not in five years time.

I agree that Redpath is looking solid for a spot in the forward line, probably CHF. But I can't agree on your analysis of Boyd. He is most certainly a KP forward. How good he ends up being is the thing.

If Crameri is out, then the logical replacement for him is Grant I reckon.

In an ideal world we would like to have a much more offensively capable defense. If you use the Hawks as the bench mark they have 6 players who you could argue are statistically (based on SC scores) above average in their defense and that's not including Lake who has slipped a little statistically since his hay day.

We only have one and that's Murph. So the likes of Picken, Wood, JJ, Roughead and Morris while all have their good points as defenders they simply don't get enough of the ball and when they do they don't hurt teams.

The problem is that those players by and large are the best we currently have to play back, certainly from a purely defensive point of view. Morris is a lock for our team and a gun, but he does not hurt teams the other way, does not intercept mark enough and so on. I can't see Dale improving that unless of course there is a total mind set change and he starts taking more risks. JJ and Wood could easily be more offensive but would need to tidy up disposal. Roughy I reckon could improve his offensive capabilities and he is a pretty decent mark and just needs the confidence to back himself. Who really thinks Picken won't be in round one because he's not offensive or skillful enough? Not me.

So then what are the alternatives. Well Biggs looks a likely type, good skills, quick, decent size. Talia while lacking foot skill does back himself to take the mark and has the capability to get high possession numbers. Roberts is also capable of becoming an attacking defender. Darley clearly has the skill. Fuller has the the right game, but he's shown so little so far and the kids we have drafted have potential but for round 1 I am ruling them out, although ZCord could surprise.
Our back 6 would then look like this.

Morris Roughead Biggs
Murphy Talia Darley

I think JJ could be used on a wing, but what then of Wood and Picken. Hard not to see them in the team given what they bring to the table. But, if we are to move forward we have to be not just a good defensive back 6, we need one that can hurt the opposition the other way and repel attacks by intercepting not just nullifying.

Can Darley and Biggs handle beating their opponent in the one on ones.....they are no good to us unless they can do that.

I agree that Redpath is looking solid for a spot in the forward line, probably CHF. But I can't agree on your analysis of Boyd. He is most certainly a KP forward. How good he ends up being is the thing.

If Crameri is out, then the logical replacement for him is Grant I reckon.

I never said key position, I said full forward. As far as know there are no true 200cm full forwards in the league (full timers capable of a 70+ goal season) and has not been one since Paul Salmon.

I never said key position, I said full forward. As far as know there are no true 200cm full forwards in the league (full timers capable of a 70+ goal season) and has not been one since Paul Salmon.

Ok....well call it however you like, but the traditional term for the 2 KP forwards is CHF and FF. You said he would not make it as a FF or CHF. They are the KP posts. Positions are so fluid these days that it's hard to know where guys play. But usually, most teams structure with at least 2 and sometimes 3 talls....genuine talls 195cm plus. Where they stand on the ground the role they play varies. Boyd would be one of those no doubt. Capable of playing close to goal and up the ground.

Current day examples are Kurt Tippert at 202cm, Jake Carlisle is 200cm. Of the new breed, Joe Daniher 201cm, Darcy Moore 199cm, Peter Wright is 203cm, Tom Lynch 199cm, Charlie Dixon 200cm.

Guys like Franklin, Cloke and Hawkins are in the 196cm to 197cm range. Players in the 193 to 195cm range can also play successfully as KP forwards

A few centimeters here or there is not why he can't make it as a FF or CHF. There will be other factors that will make or break him. I think we are on the brink of an age where 200cm agile big guys will be the power forwards of the future as per the list above. Tom Boyd played as a Junior as a FF and he's certainly been brought to the club to play that role. He's most certainly a FF or a CHF....or a KP forward or a power forward whatever you want to call it. If you saying that you don't think he will make a success of it.....well that's another thing. Only time will tell.

Ok....well call it however you like, but the traditional term for the 2 KP forwards is CHF and FF. You said he would not make it as a FF or CHF. They are the KP posts. Positions are so fluid these days that it's hard to know where guys play. But usually, most teams structure with at least 2 and sometimes 3 talls....genuine talls 195cm plus. Where they stand on the ground the role they play varies. Boyd would be one of those no doubt. Capable of playing close to goal and up the ground.

Current day examples are Kurt Tippert at 202cm, Jake Carlisle is 200cm. Of the new breed, Joe Daniher 201cm, Darcy Moore 199cm, Peter Wright is 203cm, Tom Lynch 199cm, Charlie Dixon 200cm.

Guys like Franklin, Cloke and Hawkins are in the 196cm to 197cm range. Players in the 193 to 195cm range can also play successfully as KP forwards

A few centimeters here or there is not why he can't make it as a FF or CHF. There will be other factors that will make or break him. I think we are on the brink of an age where 200cm agile big guys will be the power forwards of the future as per the list above. Tom Boyd played as a Junior as a FF and he's certainly been brought to the club to play that role. He's most certainly a FF or a CHF....or a KP forward or a power forward whatever you want to call it. If you saying that you don't think he will make a success of it.....well that's another thing. Only time will tell.

Of the top 20 goal-kickers last year nobody was over 199cm (josh jenkins / Tom Lynch). Not saying Boyd won't make it by any means as I just haven't seen enough of the guy. What I am saying is that these type of talls are rarely going to be a team's top goalkicker, so therefore they will most likely be playing second fiddle to someone like Stringer, Kennedy, or Schulz.

Of the top 20 goal-kickers last year nobody was over 199cm (josh jenkins / Tom Lynch). Not saying Boyd won't make it by any means as I just haven't seen enough of the guy. What I am saying is that these type of talls are rarely going to be a team's top goalkicker, so therefore they will most likely be playing second fiddle to someone like Stringer, Kennedy, or Schulz.
I think you've got the wrong guy

No shame playing second string to KING STRING!! Someone has to do it might as be Tom Hawkins long lost brother!

No shame playing second string to KING STRING!! Someone has to do it might as be Tom Hawkins long lost brother!
Tom Hawkins made his debut in 2007 and took a long time to get to where
he is today. I kind of hope Tom Boyd does not take as long a journey to
greatness, but your analogy may prove accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back