2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Next four weeks will be a very interesting time for Mathew Boyd, he has had a very ordinary Preseason in the practice match drills, he has found it hard to find the football, which is usually not his problem as we know.
Jong, Stevens, Hrovat, Wallis, Stringer, Crameri, Dahlhaus, Libba, Bontempelli, Honeychurch, have all had very good pre seasons in mid field, and would be in front of M. Boyd at this stage.
I think the quick ball movement and quicker running to position is making him struggle.
Next four weeks will be more crucial to M. Boyd than group of ten young midfielders mentioned above ???????

Interesting observation about Matthew Boyd there black pup.

If your theory about Boyd is correct, how then can a slow mid who can't kick nor find the ball and who can't get to the right spots in time expect to get any midfield time? The new coach may have answered the question by suggesting that Moyd will mostly play in defense. As has been previously suggested on here, we are probably seeing the transition of Matthew out of the senior side as the season progresses.

I just don't trust Grant anymore. I feel like we go through the exact same thing every off-season where people obsess over how good a player he should be, rather than on what he's actually shown. He played excellently in the back end of 2013 but the problem is he just doesn't do it often enough. Grant is well and truly past the point where he can be given automatic selection because of his attributes - it's time his football does the talking. He needs to prove he can play well at a level somewhat resembling consistency.
The difference this off-season is that we now have an offensively-minded coach who will look to utilise fast ball movement which plays exactly into Grant's strength. The last time he had that was in 2010-11.

The difference this off-season is that we now have an offensively-minded coach who will look to utilise fast ball movement which plays exactly into Grant's strength. The last time he had that was in 2010-11.
In my opinion Grant's best games for the club came in the back half of 2013 - McCartney was still the coach. He had some good games prior to the Macca era as well but they were assisted by having a colossal figure standing next to him (oh how I'd kill for some Baz right about now). Those eight (?) games at the end of 2013 were the first time I'd seen Grant consistently stand on his own two feet, create opportunities for himself and - most importantly - others. You may well be right but it's not a forgone conclusion that a new coach will help him. I seem to recall similar conversations when McCartney said he was going to start focusing on spread from the contest, quick ball movement and playing on from free kicks! By all means give him an opportunity to show he's turned it around in the NAB etc but I just can't have him as an immediate selection until he shows he can bring it together.

Thoughts on round 1 side:
Morris Roughead Wood
Biggs Roberts Murphy
Macrae Wallis Hrovat
Bont Redpath Dahl
Stringer Boyd Crameri
Minson Libba Boyd
Hunter picken Jj sub Grant

Morris Roughead Wood
Biggs Roberts Murphy
Macrae Wallis Hrovat
Bont Redpath Dahl
Stringer Boyd Crameri
Minson Libba Boyd

Not bad. Would have thought Talia is closer to a gig than Roberts based on reports. I would probably prefer to take both in against the giant Eagles. Otherwise really like the back line, plenty of attacking options.

Think we might see one of the draftees round one, probably Daniel. Think grant might play at foots ray as a mid before getting a senior gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting observation about Matthew Boyd there black pup.

If your theory about Boyd is correct, how then can a slow mid who can't kick nor find the ball and who can't get to the right spots in time expect to get any midfield time? The new coach may have answered the question by suggesting that Moyd will mostly play in defense. As has been previously suggested on here, we are probably seeing the transition of Matthew out of the senior side as the season progresses.

Due to the loss of Cooney and Griffen and Higgins I don't think Moyd will have to worry too much about getting a game even though he has supposedly had an average pre-season. Put him in the midfield for a regular season game and you know he will run it out and probably get more of the ball than Jong, Hrovat, and Honeychurch, or any of the rookies at this stage of their careers.

Not saying he will use it well though.

I've said it before and ill say it again, cant believe people would have Dickson in instead of Grant, esp as the game plan is to have players that can play other parts of the ground.
What other parts of the ground has Grant shown he's proficient in?

Yeah let's pick a team on who the best trainers are and not on experience or actual match form.

I think that will work out well for all and Dalrymple can start working out who he will take at #1 in the draft

I think a lot of blokes are completely disrespecting Moyd(who is a past captain), he is as good a kick as some of the blokes peole want to replace him with(Stevens, Jong) but his experince is an absolute this year especially to start the year

What other parts of the ground has Grant shown he's proficient in?

Grant has played in the most dysfunctional forward line in the AFL for the last 3 years.

Let's see how he goes this year under a far better structure and then we will all know if he can make it or will be out the door

Yeah maybe, especially after shoulder surgery. But I think Roberts reads the play better and uses the ball better more I a natural footballer than talia. Would love to see Daniel in the side

Not bad. Would have thought Talia is closer to a gig than Roberts based on reports. I would probably prefer to take both in against the giant Eagles. Otherwise really like the back line, plenty of attacking options.

Think we might see one of the draftees round one, probably Daniel. Think grant might play at foots ray as a mid before getting a senior gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah let's pick a team on who the best trainers are and not on experience or actual match form.

I think that will work out well for all and Dalrymple can start working out who he will take at #1 in the draft

I think a lot of blokes are completely disrespecting Moyd(who is a past captain), he is as good a kick as some of the blokes peole want to replace him with(Stevens, Jong) but his experince is an absolute this year especially to start the year
I think training this pre-season could be a fairly good indication of our best side, as we've done a lot of match simulation.

Couldn't agree more re Moyd though. Has to play.

Morris Roughead Wood
Biggs Roberts Murphy
Macrae Wallis Hrovat
Bont Redpath Dahl
Stringer Boyd Crameri
Minson Libba Boyd

IMO this is the side I would be running with in the first game.

Emgerencies would be Daniel, Stevens and A.cordy.

I'd still have Roberts ahead of Talia as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus you can't underestimate his on-field leadership and experience.

What if it's a close game and somebody needs to be vocal in the stoppage situations, somebody who can lay a last-gasp tackle, the guy who has the veteran ability to throw himself at the leather for one final time in that game, one who can motivate his teammates.

Remember if you're dropping him from the team and replacing him with somebody else you're pretty much taking away about a sixth of the total experience in games played from the team.

Plus you can't underestimate his on-field leadership and experience.

What if it's a close game and somebody needs to be vocal in the stoppage situations, somebody who can lay a last-gasp tackle, the guy who has the veteran ability to throw himself at the leather for one final time in that game, one who can motivate his teammates.

Remember if you're dropping him from the team and replacing him with somebody else you're pretty much taking away about a sixth of the total experience in games played from the team.

Amen brother

He has to play, will be very important mark for or against Bev in his round 1 selection IMO.

It's all good to play kids but you must have the older guys to support and Boyd is the ONLY midfielder with decent finals experince we now have.

Even if you are selecting him for someone who may be in better training form he is essential

Last edited:
I'd play Moyd midfield (ahead of Wallis). Agree he's important. But the coach has played him back all summer. If it's play him back, or not pick him, I ain't picking him.

As for grant or Dickson. Grant is dynamite on the fast break. But I seriously seriously doubt he can play off a wing, and I think it's unlikely we generate quality fast break opportunities this year. Dickson is just a sniper down there, and id play him ahead of grant at this stage.

I'd play Moyd midfield (ahead of Wallis). Agree he's important. But the coach has played him back all summer. If it's play him back, or not pick him, I ain't picking him.

As for grant or Dickson. Grant is dynamite on the fast break. But I seriously seriously doubt he can play off a wing, and I think it's unlikely we generate quality fast break opportunities this year. Dickson is just a sniper down there, and id play him ahead of grant at this stage.

Nooooooooo not Dickson

Please for the love of God no more

Might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I'd have Stevens over Wallis in the starting side. Stevens is stronger, more aggressive, got geniune marking ability and I believe he also has a better kick and slightly quicker. Also can play as a forward so I prefer him in the side than Wally at this stage.

Updated side

FB: Moz, Roughy, Wood
HB: Murph, Roberts, Biggs
C: Macrae, Bonts, JJ
HF: Hunter, Redpath, Dahlhaus
FF: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hrovat
R: Minson, Libba, M.Boyd
Int: Stevens, Picken, Jong,
Sub: J.Grant

Think we should be giving Grant an extended chance to crack again. Unlike C.Howard this bloke actually has shown good signs at AFL and we still need some experienced players + speed. Hes got 7 years in the system and he's the perfect type to go full throttle for half a game and kick some goals/break lines on the wing.

He's got the first 4 - 6 rounds to show something irrespective of whether Crameri is rubbed out or not. He's your chance J.Grant.

Grant has played in the most dysfunctional forward line in the AFL for the last 3 years.

Let's see how he goes this year under a far better structure and then we will all know if he can make it or will be out the door

Grant has played 4 games in 2014, 8 in 2013 and 13 in 2012, 7 years in the system for 62 games and he cannot cement a spot in a dysfunctional forward line. He also played a lot of games in the twos in highly functional forward lines and made very little impression. He does very little when he doesn't have the ball and cannot win his own ball. He is going backwards as new players pass him and I've heard it all every year at this time.... this will be Grant's year.

Grant has played 4 games in 2014, 8 in 2013 and 13 in 2012, 7 years in the system for 62 games and he cannot cement a spot in a dysfunctional forward line. He also played a lot of games in the twos in highly functional forward lines and made very little impression. He does very little when he doesn't have the ball and cannot win his own ball. He is going backwards as new players pass him and I've heard it all every year at this time.... this will be Grant's year.

I've admitted he has had chances I simply think he has more strings to his bow than others and I believe Bev may be able to coax them out

Either way it's his last chance and he has to know that

Grant on wing with high rotation definitly worth a try. Hes smart going forward and makes great space. I like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back