Remove this Banner Ad

Backs. Picken Roberts Morris
H/backs Darley Talia Wood
Cent. JJ Libba McRae
H/f. Crameri Grant Murphy
Fors. Dahl Boyd Stringer
Foll. Minson Bonts Stevens

Inter from Rough Hunter Biggs Boyd Wallis

Just watching round 8 vs Melbourne this year and si many booked that we won't see in red white and blue again

Williams
Jones
Griffen
Cooney
Higgins
Gia

Quite sad really :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Just watching round 8 vs Melbourne this year and si many booked that we won't see in red white and blue again

Williams
Jones
Griffen
Cooney
Higgins
Gia

None would be part if the future anyway no big loss

Last edited by a moderator:
backline looks poor as far as KPDs for the future

more confident about our forward line

been saying that all year though, that our defense is horrible for key defenders
especially with Mozz been over 30

Backs. Picken Roberts Morris
H/backs ZCordy Talia Wood
Cent. JJ Libba McRae
H/f. Crameri Rough Murphy
Fors. Dahl TBoyd Stringer
Foll. Minson Bonts Biggs

Inter Biggs MBoyd Wallis Grant

Like this lineup. I'd also consider
Hunter, Hrovat, Honeychurch

backline looks poor as far as KPDs for the future

more confident about our forward line

been saying that all year though, that our defense is horrible for key defenders
especially with Mozz been over 30

Yes pretty young side all round now. But the back line does look exposed with nothing added to the list that will impact significantly straight up.

But it's midfield where I expect it to be a tougher year for us simply because we have lost so much experience there. Should be better long term, but we can't expect Bontempelli and Macrae ect to make up for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins in just their second and 3rd years. They might, can't expect though.

Back line may in fact perform better with a fitter Roughy and Talia and Roberts slotting in somewhere. ZCord will get some games, Hamling is back up at this stage. Certainly don't expect them as a group to be worse than last year, but it's not a strong defense on paper KP anyway

The midfield....I'm not confident at all in 2015 as the kids continue to develop but with the full weight of the job on their shoulders.

Williams
Jones
Griffen
Cooney
Higgins
Gia

Will be interesting to see where we sit in terms of age of list and age of best 22 once 2015 rolls around. I suspect we will be in the bottom 3 easily. Hard to see how we improve win/loss based on that in 2015, but I think it sets us up well for a couple of years time.

Here is another way to look at the round 1 team.

B: 33 24 29
HB: 33 22 26
C: 23 23 21
HF: 23 22 27
FF: 21 19 28
R: 30 23 20
I/C: 24, 21, 33, 24

Average age is 25, last year our best 22 was a whole year older.

The average age of typical GF side of recent times closer to 27. Our average defense age is actually 28! Our typical starting mids average is just 22 or 23 with rucks included and 24 if you include those that rotate through. The average age of the forward line is 23.

Once the lists are settled I will try and compare us to others. But we have a pretty experienced defense, with the KP players being the youngest and with the most question marks, but otherwise it's not too bad. Young midfield and forward line at just 22 and 23 years of age. That means on average our midfield is just 4 years old developmentally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people can be bitter, but anyone who thinks Griff is 'no big loss' is a moron. He was our best player ffs.
Likewise with Cooney. For example I don't reckon we would win that game against St. Kilda without him.
Ditto Jones and Collingwood... etc.
Currently with our player losses, I see us at a 5 win team for 2014... and I'd take 7 wins as a pass again, as I expect the other young players to make up at least two wins on last year.

Likewise with Cooney. For example I don't reckon we would win that game against St. Kilda without him.
Currently with our player losses, I see us at a 5 win team for 2014... and I'd take 7 wins as a pass again, as I expect the other young players to make up at least two wins on last year.
While that is true, what else did Jones do during the year apart from the Collingwood game? What about Cooney apart from the Saints game?

They didn't have the greatest year. They had one or two absolutely gun games, but weren't overly effectual apart from that.

If it makes you feel better yesterday my 5 yr old was complaining there was no doggies games on to watch... put the Nab Cup final against St Kilda on for her... only 5 of those guys still getting around in the red, white and blue. 3 at other clubs. Okay I admit it.... I just plain miss Barry... the way he shoved Dawson in the back after he "poked the bear." Happy times :)

IMO the younger blokes won't go too far ahead this year, and a couple will go backwards.

Griffen goes, Libba and Macrae get tagged. That's the top two in our b&f I expect to struggle for atleast the first half of next season. Hope they learn to break the tag by the end of the season.

Stringer is our young kid I really expect to improve, especially with Boyd coming in.

Our midfield needs an extra body next year or vast improvement from Stevens or Wallis. I'd have Jong, Wallis and Libba as the clearance brigade and Stevens, macrae and bonts silking things up outside.

Although Boyd has come in to give Stringer more time in his perfect role (2nd forward) we would benefit from him inside some stoppages upfield and using his skills kicking into the 50. We should have flexibility to do this with Campbell and Boyd giving plenty of height up forward.

Against WCE

Picken - Roberts - Wood

Morris - Talia - Murphy

Macrae - Hrovat - JJ

Foll. Minson - Libba - Stevens

Bontempelli - Stringer - Crameri

Dahlhaus - Boyd - Grant

INT. from Hunter, Roughead, M. Boyd, Wallis, Biggs

my biggest concern is the backline, with the kicking skills
with the exception of Murphy

Roughead plays through the ruck, defense and forward line (when Boyd is on the bench)

I know people can be bitter, but anyone who thinks Griff is 'no big loss' is a moron. He was our best player ffs.
He was our best player , he was also a sook don't need blokes like that at the club

He was our best player , he was also a sook don't need blokes like that at the club
We don't need top ten players in the league and the best two way midfielder in the whole AFL?

Picken roughead Morris
Wood Roberts Biggs
Bonts Libba macrae
Dahl crameri murphy
Campbell Boyd stringer
Minson wallis Boyd

Hrovat Stevens Jj hunter

Griff leaving will burn a hole in our team, at least for a couple seasons. People are underestimating his loss.

Cooney is replaceable. Griff is not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back