List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry if there is a thred like this already. 2007 we had King and Ottens. 2009 Ottens and Blake. 2011 Ottens and West. 2014 HMac and Simpson, or was it Blitz and Walker. Anyway, we desperately need an A+ ruckman who can run out games. Is there any we can trade for or one on our list we can develop, because if 2015 is our year we need a quality ruckman.
Totally agree. We need an A grade, fit ruckman.

But disagree with the notion that 2015 will / could be our year. Too many deficiencies to be a serious contender, IMHO

Agreed, 2015 should be a "get everyone aquainted with each other" year, and 2016 be the hard go at it.

heh, easier said than done. We still have a lot of trading to do.

Agreed, 2015 should be a "get everyone aquainted with each other" year, and 2016 be the hard go at it.

Problem is 2015 we still won't be getting a load of games into the young guys with all the seniors hanging around, then we're likely to have a mass exodus end of next year. Unless a couple have a change of heart and pull the pin in the next couple of weeks. Which would be better for us 2016 onward.

One issue I have with using a pick on Giles, is that we will have McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy, blitz and the Irishman, plus Giles.

My thought on this is that this is a lot of spots clogged up for one position, possibly two counting CHF. Then add in menz and Cowan, considering those first three rucks are not medically fit, there's 6 players that may not play next year.

That's a big risk.

Totally agree , you can't have the Rehab Group outnumbering the Main List !!
Some hard calls need to be made , reality can be a bitch but sooner or later it has to be dealt with !

Problem is 2015 we still won't be getting a load of games into the young guys with all the seniors hanging around, then we're likely to have a mass exodus end of next year. Unless a couple have a change of heart and pull the pin in the next couple of weeks. Which would be better for us 2016 onward.
Or our seniors can play some VFL same as Hale, McEvoy, Sewell and Hodge. Doubt it will happen though

I really rate Ryder, he would be great for us, but maybe we need one fully fit ruckman that is 203cm+, as I don't think Simpson and HMac will manage full seasons next year. Given that, then our possible rucking option are Vardy (less than 200cm) blicavs (less than 200cm), and walker (less than 200cm). So if we get ryder (only 197 cm), then we may also need to look into a slightly bigger man to take the number 1 ruckman status. However, this would be difficult, so we need to really think these decisions through properly. My dream scenario would be:
Getting someone tall who is really good in the ruck to be #1 ruckman
Ryder as the #2 ruckman, and also pushing forward
The best of key forward out of Vardy, Kersten and Walker as the #2 key forward (and obviously Hawkins as #1 key forward). I think this would provide good balance.

Cheap option is McKernan from Crows, free pickup and can play backup to Ryder.

However we go in 2015, we'll dive in 2016 with the exodus and/or further decline of our better players. The question then will not be "when do we climb again?", it will be "will we climb again?".

Whether we "climb again" will depend on our recruiting/trades, and the further development of players like Caddy, Bews, Thurlow, Guthrie, Smedts, Jansen, Lang, McCarthy and Hartman amongst hopefully some others (Menzel and Vardy come to mind).

There's some talent in that group.

Whether we "climb again" will depend on our recruiting/trades, and the further development of players like Caddy, Bews, Thurlow, Guthrie, Smedts, Jansen, Lang, McCarthy and Hartman amongst hopefully some others (Menzel and Vardy come to mind).

There's some talent in that group.

Yes, but of that group so far only Caddy, Guthrie and Menzel have shown that they are of Finals-winning standard.
In 2016 we'll also have Taylor, Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Christensen, Motlop, Blicavs (possibly) and Stokes (maybe) at that standard.
That's only 50% of a finals-winning team. We are going to need a lot of improvement from a lot of players to come back after we dive in 2016.

Yes, but of that group so far only Caddy, Guthrie and Menzel have shown that they are of Finals-winning standard.
In 2016 we'll also have Taylor, Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Christensen, Motlop, Blicavs (possibly) and Stokes (maybe) at that standard.
That's only 50% of a finals-winning team. We are going to need a lot of improvement from a lot of players to come back after we dive in 2016.

Yep…..hopefully some gems who are coming along can join that group over the next 2 years…(e.g Jansen, Thurlow, Bews, Lang, etc )

And of course with Ablett, Jones, Frawley, Dangerfield and Luenberger all coming to Geelong, we should s**t it in for at least 5 years! :rolleyes:

So much for the 2010 speech of we need to be ready by 2015/2016...seems that hasn't worked out as we had wanted?

Everybody at the club was caught on the hop by how long we stayed in finals contention, and hence delayed our transition.
The whole comp under-estimated how long GC/GWS would take to hit it, and they all under-estimated how much the compromised drafts would cause teams to tread water, how hard it would make it to change relative ladder positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheap option is McKernan from Crows, free pickup and can play backup to Ryder.

At 196 cm he isn't a ruckman, any more than Walker is. He's a failed Key forward prospect who they tried to turn into a second ruckman/third tall. I'd be surprised if anyone picks him up.

However we go in 2015, we'll dive in 2016 with the exodus and/or further decline of our better players. The question then will not be "when do we climb again?", it will be "will we climb again?".
I agree Fred.

It's all very well having goals and targets, but I think that the folly of setting 2015 as the "The Year of the Flag Tilt" has now been exposed.

You can endlessly transition and build towards some nominated year in the future, but you can find yourself cruelled by injuries, aging and retirements. That's why I think we could have missed out on a flag since 2011 because of the excessive focus on transition, in which there are no guarantees, instead of taking the best shot while you can. Strangely, for all the transition talk there seem to be a lot of young players who seem to have gotten less games over the last 3 or so years than you would have thought - maybe because of injuries to themselves, but in some cases in spite of injuries to others. Unfathomable.

As John Lennon is attributed - "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

At 196 cm he isn't a ruckman, any more than Walker is. He's a failed Key forward prospect who they tried to turn into a second ruckman/third tall. I'd be surprised if anyone picks him up.

Oh, I must have got it wrong then, I thought they released 2 rucks both over 200cm...

Or our seniors can play some VFL same as Hale, McEvoy, Sewell and Hodge. Doubt it will happen though

It hasn't happened so far or often enough under Scott who doesn't seem to care if we come up short in the finals, as long as he can get some credentials during the year.
I'm afraid even winning the close ones during the year might be finished, we'll be bottom 8 at best imo.
So much will depend on the youngsters coming through who have almost zero experience, there is nowhere to go but down.

Deserve a game they get a game. I'm glad your not coach, we be down the bottom for sure. It's amazing feat that we finished top4 while we are rebuilding, your obviously got blinkers on.

Sorry Fred, Menzel played about a quarter and a bit of one final. I'm reluctant to say he's definitely finals-winning standard. Not in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back