News 2015 Saints Media Thread (please use player threads for player-specific news/articles)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-02/saints-aim-to-bring-moorabbin-spark-to-etihad-
Live music before big matches, a concentration of fan seating in bays around the cheer squad (with changes to the club's ticketing format designed to create a sea of red, white and black support), and "dual emcees" are part of St Kilda’s match-day plans.
The Saints are also looking at ways to personalise how the team enters the ground ahead of the first bounce at home games this season.
They'll be able to "theme" the Docklands stadium using its IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) network, which will include the installation of 1600 high-definition screens around the venue.
Sounds good. Shame I won't be able to attend any games.

theAge is really really off to a good start ..

did you see this article this morning. they had to drag up an old president Plympton to find something wrong with St Kilda and had to drag up the Milne & Montagna issue. You would have thought it was written by Caro. but no it was written by Samantha Lane

St Kilda's culture does not need changing, says Plympton

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-changing-says-plympton-20150301-13s170.html

"Former St Kilda president-turned-Australian Olympic Committee boss, Andrew Plympton, has cautioned the Saints' new broom against trying to reinvent the wheel.

Recent public statements from new club CEO, Matt Finnis, who with president Peter Summers recently outlined to the AFL commission why they think so many fans are disconnected from the club - and how they plan to attract them back - have grabbed Plympton's attention.

St Kilda have taken advice from a 'brand psychologist' on the matter. The club has told the AFL its latent supporters have felt let down, and have ultimately distanced themselves, due to a perception of poor discipline and poor decision-making.

The Saints had the lowest membership tally of the Victorian clubs in 2014, the club's average attendances dipped and it reported a debt of more than $9 million.

Plympton, the St Kilda president from between 1993-2000, told Fairfax Media: "There's a lot of great people who have been involved with the club over the years who would just be slightly aghast at this re-emphasis on culture. Get on with the job........"

Sounds like someone doesn't want to be shown up.

Sounds like someone doesn't want to be shown up.

Yeah just goes to show what a wally Plymton is if he thinks the Saints dont need to improve. We had a turn over of 30m last year compared to Hawthorn 67m, when Plymton was running the Saints the Hawks werent much better off financially than us. we do need a cultural change and its called smart business acumen, something not many executives at the Saints have shown before Finnis took over!

Without having any idea about the motivation behind this negative publicity, Id like to point out that the Saints did quite well under Plympton. He presided during the era when the Saints home ground was Waverley. He took up the AFL's offer to relocate to "Telstra Dome" much to Hawthorn's disgust. The incentive to do so cashed the club up enough to do a complete changing of the guard - a new president and board members, a new coach and a new playing group. Rod Butterss, and his administration were able to score a coup by signing Malcolm Blight as coach. He was reluctant at first, but committed himself after officials and a few young stars flew up to the Gold Coast and met with him. On Malcolm’s advice the club initiated trade deals that secured the services of Aaron Hamill, Fraser Gehrig, Steve Lawrence, Craig Callaghan, Matthew Capuano and other fresh blood into the team. The priority pick and first draft pick netted us Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke.

This was the foundation of our recent era of success (a decade of being in contention).

Quite disconcerting this article. The more I think about it the more I wonder who do you think you are trying to deflate the tyres after we've finally had some positive news and a real buzz with supporters.

I agree

I wonder if it was The Age ringing Plympton to get a reaction rather then Plympton ringing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without having any idea about the motivation behind this negative publicity, Id like to point out that the Saints did quite well under Plympton. He presided during the era when the Saints home ground was Waverley. He took up the AFL's offer to relocate to "Telstra Dome" much to Hawthorn's disgust. The incentive to do so cashed the club up enough to do a complete changing of the guard - a new president and board members, a new coach and a new playing group. Rod Butterss, and his administration were able to score a coup by signing Malcolm Blight as coach. He was reluctant at first, but committed himself after officials and a few young stars flew up to the Gold Coast and met with him. On Malcolm’s advice the club initiated trade deals that secured the services of Aaron Hamill, Fraser Gehrig, Steve Lawrence, Craig Callaghan, Matthew Capuano and other fresh blood into the team. The priority pick and first draft pick netted us Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke.

This was the foundation of our recent era of success (a decade of being in contention).

You could also argue that Plympton was responsible for locking us into a deal at Colonial Stadium that has brought the club to its knees financially.

We had our membership underwritten by the AFL for 2 or 3 seasons but the revenue projections were so rubbery that Skase would have been proud.

Plympton & his board presided over the decision of choosing whether we play out of Docklands or the MCG.

In his favour IIRC Plympton's board took over when the Save our Saints campaign was about to start so he basically helped saved the club in 1995.

I don't begrudge him his relevancy.

I do feel it inappropriate to throw anything similar to a wet blanket over the current spark though, how is that remotely justified?

It does him no favours, in fact it makes him appear mean spirited.

Is he?

Dunno, but perception is reality, so pipe down Plympton...

Unless you like being perceived as a party pooper.

I do feel it inappropriate to throw anything similar to a wet blanket over the current spark though, how is that remotely justified?

Is he?

Perfectly postulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he?

Well said. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I would just remind you that the article came from main stream media and some things he said could be taken out of context to suit an agenda by someone else

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I would just remind you that the article came from main stream media and some things he said could be taken out of context to suit an agenda by someone else

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

how can we know unless Plympton tell the saints themselves that it was out of context.

Nice post:thumbsu:
But i was under the impression Blighty wasnt interested at all until the kitty was upped to 1 Million. Not sure how much the young stars swayed him.
Too much for him to knock back and probably money we didnt have.
Then by all reports after about 10 games he had lost interest again.
I never really blamed him. He said he didnt want to coach. We just changed his mind with a s**t load of cash. Both parties were wrong to do it.

Nice post:thumbsu:
But i was under the impression Blighty wasnt interested at all until the kitty was upped to 1 Million. Not sure how much the young stars swayed him.
Too much for him to knock back and probably money we didnt have.
Then by all reports after about 10 games he had lost interest again.
I never really blamed him. He said he didnt want to coach. We just changed his mind with a s**t load of cash. Both parties were wrong to do it.
In an interview Blight said the club had flown up some star recruits (I presume Roo and Kosi) to meet with him and he indicated that it helped swing his decision

In an interview Blight said the club had flown up some star recruits (I presume Roo and Kosi) to meet with him and he indicated that it helped swing his decision
You may very well be right:thumbsu:
IMO it was still a poor decision by both parties.
there were very strong rumours after he left Adelaide that Blight was totally burnt out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back