News 2015 Saints Media Thread (please use player threads for player-specific news/articles)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree that being a premiership player should have any bearing on these things. With 18 blokes on the field at any time, you end up with some average premiership players who don't deserve the extra kudos. Conversely, you end up with absolute guns who don't get the propps they should. See Johno Brown and Roo's position and tell me they aren't at least on par, when you look at their contribution to the game and their team over the course of their careers.

Couldn't agree more.

Alistair lynch better then riewoldt too, unbelievable
Desi Van 83 makes the right comparison. How could Alistair Lynch be seen in the same group of 50 players as Jon Brown?

Desi Van 83 makes the right comparison. How could Alistair Lynch be seen in the same group of 50 players as Jon Brown?
Lynch was a damn good player. He was a genuine swingman, a strong marking fullback and centre half-back and a very handy full forward. He averaged more than two goals a game despite alternating back and forward. Plugger ranked him as one of his toughest opponents in the backline.

Lynch is more than worthy of making the list I reckon, he was Brown before there was Brown.

An e-mail from the club - use the hashtag #packyourfooty on Twitter to bring back kick-to-kick at Etihad Stadium.

Hi guys -

As you may be aware, this year our club has invested heavily on delivering an improved game-day experience – pre-game entertainment, live music, and improved big screen content.
However, a significant element of our planned match day experience has been a little harder to get over the line – bringing back the post-game kick-to-kick!

Our CEO Matt Finnis has been pushing hard to get this done, but what we need now is a strong push from our supporters – THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN!

We want our Digital Ambassadors to drive the momentum and make this happen!
To unite our fan base to the cause, we want you to post to social media using the hashtag #packyourfooty.

If we can get all our ambassadors tweeting, Facebook and Instagram posting messages of #packyourfooty, we’ll hopefully generate something that will make Etihad and AFL take notice.
Here’s a suggested first post…
"I heard @stkildafc are trying to bring back kick-to-kick at #AFLSaintsGiants! Show your support and get behind the club. RT #packyourfooty”
Followed by…

“I’ve been going to @EtihadStadiumAU for 10 years and never set foot on the ground. #Packyourfooty for #AFLSaintsGiants - lets make it happen”
“Kick-to-kick at @EtihadStadiumAU, make it happen AFL #packyourfooty”

Make the message your own by putting your own spin on it – but please use the #packyourfooty hashtag!

Thanks again for your support – if kick-to-kick gets the go-ahead at Etihad, you’ll be a HUGE reason for making it happen!

Cheers -
Rob

Whomever's in charge of the club's social media policy deserves one big fat raise IMO.

Magnificent, proactive, modern engagement with the fans in the last 12 months or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whomever's in charge of the club's social media policy deserves one big fat raise IMO.

Magnificent, proactive, modern engagement with the fans in the last 12 months or so.

hope you have emailed the club and told them. they need to be also told when they are doing a good job and that we appreciate the efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
hope you have emailed the club and told them. they need to be also told when they are doing a good job and that we appreciate the efforts.
Or why not just tweet them, since they are checking it so regularly now. That way everybody else can see it, too.

Faz jumped on FB recently, and his answers to some questions were quite interesting.

When asked about the key lesson from the NAB, he said, "Being bold with our ball use. Our second half against Brisbane was good and although we got beaten convincingly against the Hawks, we were still bold at times with our use. We don't want to play conservatively."

On replacing Lenny: "Armo, Ross and Dunstan all have the ability."

Who he mentors: "I'm a mentor to a few younger guys. I work closely with Paddy, Hugh G, JB, and Danny McKenzie. Jack Billings has the potential to make a real impact this year."

On how long he expects to play: "I can see us playing finals in the next few years, i'll definitely be here!"

From Seb Ross: "Given your lack of tan, on average, how many tubs of sunscreen do you use in a preseason?" To which Faz replied, "Get off your phone and back in rehab Sebastian!" :D

On areas of improvement: "Team wise we need to work on the fundementals (kicking, structure). Individually I'm looking to firstly get over this injury, and then gain my consistency back when i return to playing."

Seriously, go to the Saints Facebook page (even if you don't have a FB account, you can view this stuff, I'm pretty sure. https://www.facebook.com/stkfc?fref=nf They have had open interviews with Faz, Seb, Sippa, Billings, Gilbert. Great initiative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richo on the run home.

I'm so proud to be a St Kilda supporter.

The work we have done lately is a fantastic feeling. #1 for retaining 2014 members, #1 for new members from the Vic clubs, signing exciting players, signing sponsors, kick to kick, etc.

On field results won't be the greatest this year but i'm absolutely loving everything Finnis, Richo and co are doing. May it continue!

GO THE SAINTERS.

Last edited:

Did anyone catch the Round Table discussion on Fox Footy tonight?

It painted a pretty bleak, but accurate picture of where we are.

"There hasnt been a more certain wooden spoon candidate for a long time" was one of many discouraging statements made.

Ultimately though, I havent felt as positive about the overall direction that our club is traveling in, in a long time, maybe ever.

So this must be what ground zero feels like.

"There hasnt been a more certain wooden spoon candidate for a long time" was one of many discouraging statements made.

Ultimately though, I havent felt as positive about the overall direction that our club is traveling in, in a long time, maybe ever.

Everybody assumes that none of our younger players will actually improve, and nobody remembers how good our older and mid-tier players are when fit. If some of the kids kick on and become superstars, then it might not be so bad. I'm not saying we'll win the flag or anything, but saying we're deadset certs in March to have the spoon in September sounds potentially very myopic.

I watched it to, to say we aren't a chance of winning 1 game, I repeat 1 game is a bit rough.

Did agree with the part about to many soldiers and not enough A graders, but if we had more A graders we wouldnt be bottom of ladder.

And to say dunstan is only a soldier was a joke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back