News 2015 Saints Media Thread (please use player threads for player-specific news/articles)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was reading that this morning and was trying to work out if Steven was the right choice to go up against Roo. From what AR was saying during and after the trade period last year maybe Armitage is more important then both?

note: its asking importance not best.

I think maybe fisher and roo are the most important, fisher directing the backline and roo the fwd line while pushing up the ground enough to help organize between the arcs.

Great pro-St Kilda article by Caro ( :eek: ) on the new influence of women in the AFL, and mentions the active effort to change not only the image of our club, but the values of it towards women.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...first-woman-afl-chairman-20150213-13e6s7.html

Here's a couple of St Kilda related excerpts, but the whole thing is worth a read

On a personal note, the timing of the Dessau announcement was strangely symbolic where the vexed issue of football and gender was concerned. I was sitting in Seaford at the Linen House Centre with the three women who now make up almost half St Kilda's executive team when the news broke that the AFL was losing its second woman commissioner to Government House.

All three — Christine Finnegan, Emmeline McIllree and Lisa Laing — have taken ownership of the new broom at St Kilda highlighted by a Matt Finnis-driven six-month exploration of St Kilda's complex and troubled DNA by brand psychologist Anna Box.

"We all know what's been said about us [St Kilda] in the past and we plan to correct that," said McIllree. "We understand we have to face what's happened before to move forward ... we have to share our values across the club, hard-wire those values and it's not just about our objectives but our behaviours."
If Dessau's influence can be indirectly traced to St Kilda's current hierarchy that club seems justifiably proud of its increased diversity. It now also boasts two women directors and the AFL's first woman coach, Peta Searle, the Saints' development coach.

At the time of Searle's AFL-influenced appointment, the mix of a club tarnished for years by scandal with a dreadful reputation where women were concerned with the game's first female assistant coach seemed a little too neat.

"There was some trepidation," admitted senior coach Alan Richardson. "I was, after all, responsible for the program and there was an unknown because it had never been done before. But the conclusion was that it was worth exploring because there was a real chance of a significant upside and I really couldn't identify a downside.

"I knew she knew footy and I certainly know that I don't know everything. But I also think we shouldn't underestimate the impact a woman could have, given the history of this club and where it's been in the past."

Also sounds like Finnis has a pretty good relationship with the new Governor of Victoria :thumbsu:

Last edited:

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough: Richardson

PADDY McCartin could be in line for a NAB Challenge debut after an impressive first pre-season at St Kilda.

The number one draft pick had a brief stint in hospital with a skin irritation in January but has hardly put a foot wrong otherwise according to coach Alan Richardson.

“He is preparing really well. If he was sitting here he certainly would be putting his hand up,” Richardson told SEN’s Hungry For Sport.

But the Saints coach stressed that the greater good of the team and McCartin’s development would take priority over a strong curiosity St Kilda fans would have to see the first draft pick in action.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-18/if-youre-good-enough-youre-old-enough-richardson

Hint that we'll see Paddy?

PADDY McCartin could be in line for a NAB Challenge debut after an impressive first pre-season at St Kilda.

The number one draft pick had a brief stint in hospital with a skin irritation in January but has hardly put a foot wrong otherwise according to coach Alan Richardson.

“He is preparing really well. If he was sitting here he certainly would be putting his hand up,” Richardson told SEN’s Hungry For Sport.

But the Saints coach stressed that the greater good of the team and McCartin’s development would take priority over a strong curiosity St Kilda fans would have to see the first draft pick in action.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-18/if-youre-good-enough-youre-old-enough-richardson

The only way we ever weren't going to see Paddy in the NAB Challenge was if he was injured.

Richo said similar words around dunstan's season debut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More positive news for the Saints in todays Herald Scum :eek::eek:
Nice write up on Billings.
WTF is going on with the H-Scum???
most unlike them:p

Jack Billings set to play bigger role for St Kilda after adding muscle during pre-season

(Do a google search with that title if you're stuck behind the firewall...)

More positive news for the Saints in todays Herald Scum :eek::eek:
Nice write up on Billings.
WTF is going on with the H-Scum???
most unlike them:p

i think i read somewhere, that they are a sponsor, and we dropped The Age

St Kilda 2015 player portraits are up for anyone interested.

359910.jpg

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleri...AFL 2015 Portraits - St Kilda&image_id=359927

Time to 'de-clutter': Saints playing the mind games

ST KILDA has looked beyond the obvious in its quest to start moving up the ladder, sourcing "mind training" experts to work with its players ahead of the new season.

In a number of sports psychology sessions held over three days last week, the Saints were taught techniques that could help them "de-clutter" their minds on game day.

Coach Alan Richardson pushed the initiative and he is hopeful it will give his players an edge as they look to rebound from last year's wooden spoon season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-23/saints-mind-games

Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me, but whatever, it might work.

Time to 'de-clutter': Saints playing the mind games

ST KILDA has looked beyond the obvious in its quest to start moving up the ladder, sourcing "mind training" experts to work with its players ahead of the new season.

In a number of sports psychology sessions held over three days last week, the Saints were taught techniques that could help them "de-clutter" their minds on game day.

Coach Alan Richardson pushed the initiative and he is hopeful it will give his players an edge as they look to rebound from last year's wooden spoon season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-23/saints-mind-games

Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me, but whatever, it might work.

Great to see them thinking outside the box and looking at different approaches. Whether it was Barassi, Sheedy or of late Clarkson, we have admired those who have dared to be different to look for different ways to gain a further 1% advantage. Even if this helps two players sleep better prior to big matches and one other calm their nerves in the height of the contest, it has been more than worthwhile.

Further signs that the club is looking at all avenues to improve and advance performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back