2nds 2015 SANFL finals eligibility

Remove this Banner Ad

The Sam Gray scenario for qualification. He's 10 SANFL and 8 AFL games. He plays AFL next week that places him at 10-9. The following week it is SANFL finals and if dropped for that week he qualifies to play. However if he plays the final AFL game in the same week as the first round of SANFL finals, that brings him to 10-10. Is he qualified or not? Is he qualified for the first round of SANFL finals but then no other rounds?

I took the liberty to update it this time. Hope you don't mind. So this update is after the South game ...

Eligible:
Butcher
Harvey
Howard
Byrne-Jones
Redden
Palmer
Frampton
Wagner
Logan
Russell
Amon
Moore
Colquhoun
Stewart

On the verge:
S. Gray 10-8 [has played 3 games since 30 June]
Mitchell 8-8 [3]
Ah Chee 8-9 [3]
Shaw 7-0 [2]
Clurey 9-8 [2]

I said above that Gray plays AFL next week but actually qualifies for the first round of sanfl finals the following week. What happens next if he plays AFL during that first round of sanfl finals? He ceases to qualify?

I said above that Gray plays AFL next week but actually qualifies for the first round of sanfl finals the following week. What happens next if he plays AFL during that first round of sanfl finals? He ceases to qualify?

That's my interpretation. If he's 10-10 by week 2 of the finals he'd be ineligible. Can't see him being dropped or rested simply to qualify for SANFL finals.

Edit: And I think Ah Chee can come off that list now. He's played 1 more AFL game than SANFL so if he were to be dropped or rested he'd be even stevens and therefore ineligible.

That's my interpretation. If he's 10-10 by week 2 of the finals he'd be ineligible. Can't see him being dropped or rested simply to qualify for SANFL finals.

Edit: And I think Ah Chee can come off that list now. He's played 1 more AFL game than SANFL so if he were to be dropped or rested he'd be even stevens and therefore ineligible.

It is possible that the club could apply for a permit for either or both if they are level. It wouldn't surprise me if the club attempt to qualify Gray.

Another query is whether being an emergency counts towards anything if that player doesn't end up playing a game that weekend. That would be a disadvantage for that player.

It is possible that the club could apply for a permit for either or both if they are level. It wouldn't surprise me if the club attempt to qualify Gray.

Another query is whether being an emergency counts towards anything if that player doesn't end up playing a game that weekend. That would be a disadvantage for that player.
Can you imagine the squealing from the other clubs if Gray or any other player was granted a permit (particularly given the form he's been in the last few weeks)? I'd have thought perhaps Shaw who missed a lot of footy through injury (he'll qualify next week anyway) would be ok, and anyone from the top ups. Not sure the club will want to rock the boat too much but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

No note of Young, is he out of the running?

If so, that shows how the qualification is screwed.

We're saying that if a player is good enough to get promoted in the latter half of the AFL season, and therefore doesn't play 3 after a certain date, he isn't eligible.

But what about the reverse? What about a player that gets demoted, doesn't play more SANFL than AFL, but has been dropped on form and possibly played every Maggies game in the back end of the year. That player now has no way to continue to develop and/or show that he is worthy of another AFL contract as his chance to impress selectors and even other clubs recruiters has been taken off him. Stupid system.

With the shorter SANFL season Aaron Young has played more AFL than SANFL. 10 games AFL, he has played 7 and will probably play 8 games SANFL but it has to be both more SANFL than AFL and 3 after June 30. I agree about the rule being too strict, it is obviously to prevent players being dropped late in the year to qualify for SANFL. Not that either team would do this, after all their first priority is the AFL team and player development in AFL. That can't be done for players by dropping them to the reserves.
The ridiculous thing is that a player who has been promoted to the senior team and may stay in till the end of the year, John Butcher, will be able to play SANFL finals. So technically it could work the other way. If he found form and was well above SANFL standard, he would still be able to play finals. Think of the uproar if Butcher kicks 6 goals in each of the last two games and then plays SANFL finals. The SANFL will be falling over themselves to see how they can change the rules.

With the shorter SANFL season Aaron Young has played more AFL than SANFL. 10 games AFL, he has played 7 and will probably play 8 games SANFL but it has to be both more SANFL than AFL and 3 after June 30. I agree about the rule being too strict, it is obviously to prevent players being dropped late in the year to qualify for SANFL. Not that either team would do this, after all their first priority is the AFL team and player development in AFL. That can't be done for players by dropping them to the reserves.
The ridiculous thing is that a player who has been promoted to the senior team and may stay in till the end of the year, John Butcher, will be able to play SANFL finals. So technically it could work the other way. If he found form and was well above SANFL standard, he would still be able to play finals. Think of the uproar if Butcher kicks 6 goals in each of the last two games and then plays SANFL finals. The SANFL will be falling over themselves to see how they can change the rules.
Yep, seems farcical.

Thanks for this guys, I hadn't seen it. A few of us were talking about this topic at Alberton on Saturday and no-one really knew what the eligibility criteria was or who might/might not be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given what Westies did to Norwood last week this game has got me nervous
especially with a double chance on the line. Anyone got info on Frampton's leg injury(how serious?)
Carn the Maggies

Hope your right but % is almost identical and they're only 2pts behind us

Mic calculated that we have to lose by 80 points and Norwood have to win by 80 points. I used the sanfl webpage to calculate the same scenario but it being a margin of 100 points. The sanfl website calculator doesn't seem too accurate but either way it is around that number. So I think we're safe in the double chance.

Thanks m8 looking forward to getting to Alberton on Sunday helping the cheer squad by being a grey haired juvenile
and a loud mouthed one at that. My only excuse is "we are what we are and Iam what Iam" beyond counselling

With the season completed 3 players who were on the verge of qualifying have done so, and Sam Gray is an interesting one. If Port wanted to, they could drop him to play SANFL finals but I can see two problems there. One is that he should be in the AFL team and the second is I could just hear the furore if we did that. I can't believe that he would be dropped anyway, it's AFL experience we want in our players, although with the bleatings about resting players I've heard coming from Freo, the West Adelaide team might be a superior opponent. :rolleyes:

Eligible:
Butcher
Harvey
Howard
Byrne-Jones
Redden
Palmer
Frampton
Wagner
Logan
Russell
Amon
Moore
Colquhoun
Stewart
Mitchell
Shaw
Clurey
Read more at http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ligibility.1107365/page-2#hHKcIGsUCCbbhuZi.99

Sam Gray.... *general soreness*

You know we want to.

1 more AFL game won't matter for Sammy. Either way he's had a taste, he's excelled and now has a whole preseason to get through before his next game at AFL level. So if he went to the coaching staff and said I want to play in the SANFL finals I'd rest him this week under general soreness and allow him a crack at the premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back