2015 SC / Player Watch..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, another year, another people writing off GAJ. He will average more an anyone else this year... again.

I think the issue with Gaz at the moment is he may not be fit at the start of the season, the delay in starting may work in his favour, but the last word on his injury indicated doubt for R1, therefore not my, nor manys first picked right now..

Rich more often than not got the no1 tag over hanley when they played together. If hanley retains ddp he's a walk up start for mine.
Rich attracts a tag because he gets totally demolished by them. I learned that one the hard way unfortunately.

Hanley is a lock. Big ceiling.

Jones + Rohan to fight for Malceski's old spot. Heeney behind at least Mitchell in pecking order for Swan's midfield.

Rucks next year look salivating:

Goldstein priced at 107avg, 6ppg down on last season. Was going over 125avg after Rd12.
Naitanui priced at 91avg, 5ppg down on '13. Can average 115avg season and will be #1 ruck now.
Minson priced at 93avg, 21ppg down on last season. No McCartney to piss him off, or brat pack to distract him.
Z.Clarke priced at 75avg, 20ppg down on '13. Most of the season playing with an injury, if has a good, music festival-free off-season then he should improve, drastically if Sandi goes down.
Giles priced at 74avg, 1ppg less down on '13. If Bellchambers doesn't work out he's the sole ruckman for Essendon.
Kreuzer priced at 69avg from 1 game, 29ppg down on '13. Oh boy will be hard to turn down, especially if he gets a further discount. Durability is an issue but do you pass up a guy that will always play if fit who's underpriced by 30ppg? No.
Dixon priced at 68avg, down 23ppg from on last season. Unsure he will still have his ruck eligibility but if so, a tempted DPP to have somewhere in side
Leuenberger priced at 67avg from 5 games, down 30ppg in '13. Another like Kreuzer who will be hard to ignore because he's so cheap. Another who's down 30ppg on value, seems to have a cycle of good/bad seasons. Stefan Martin's role and game time a concern too.
Grundy priced at 63ave, down 12ppg in '13. As a youngster he was still learning in '14. Will always be ahead of Witts, and should be improving, so a breakout expected soon.
Bellchambers priced at 56avg, down 25ppg in '13. Unsure he applies for discount, but he should be the number one ruck for Bombers if fit and surgery fixes his issues. Could have a 90+ season.
Griffin, priced at 28ppg from 1 game, 62ppg down on '13. Almost too good to be true if he gets the same discount applied to him as normal players who played so little in '13 did in '14. He's a 90+ ruckman and he may get more time with two injury-prone rucks ahead of him. Problem is his injury problems too, but if near $200k think I'll just leave him as R4.
Vardy, priced at rookie?, 68avg from 10 games in '13. Didn't play this year, don't know his status but if he's fit and in contention during pre-season, he has to be considered.

I really don't think there's anyone else that should be considered. :lol:

Something like NicNat, Leuey/Kreuzer, Bellchambers, Griffin for me at this stage. Have to see who gets R/F too.

Jones + Rohan to fight for Malceski's old spot. Heeney behind at least Mitchell in pecking order for Swan's midfield.

Rucks next year look salivating:

Goldstein priced at 107avg, 6ppg down on last season. Was going over 125avg after Rd12.
Naitanui priced at 91avg, 5ppg down on '13. Can average 115avg season and will be #1 ruck now.
Minson priced at 93avg, 21ppg down on last season. No McCartney to piss him off, or brat pack to distract him.
Z.Clarke priced at 75avg, 20ppg down on '13. Most of the season playing with an injury, if has a good, music festival-free off-season then he should improve, drastically if Sandi goes down.
Giles priced at 74avg, 1ppg less down on '13. If Bellchambers doesn't work out he's the sole ruckman for Essendon.
Kreuzer priced at 69avg from 1 game, 29ppg down on '13. Oh boy will be hard to turn down, especially if he gets a further discount. Durability is an issue but do you pass up a guy that will always play if fit who's underpriced by 30ppg? No.
Dixon priced at 68avg, down 23ppg from on last season. Unsure he will still have his ruck eligibility but if so, a tempted DPP to have somewhere in side
Leuenberger priced at 67avg from 5 games, down 30ppg in '13. Another like Kreuzer who will be hard to ignore because he's so cheap. Another who's down 30ppg on value, seems to have a cycle of good/bad seasons. Stefan Martin's role and game time a concern too.
Grundy priced at 63ave, down 12ppg in '13. As a youngster he was still learning in '14. Will always be ahead of Witts, and should be improving, so a breakout expected soon.
Bellchambers priced at 56avg, down 25ppg in '13. Unsure he applies for discount, but he should be the number one ruck for Bombers if fit and surgery fixes his issues. Could have a 90+ season.
Griffin, priced at 28ppg from 1 game, 62ppg down on '13. Almost too good to be true if he gets the same discount applied to him as normal players who played so little in '13 did in '14. He's a 90+ ruckman and he may get more time with two injury-prone rucks ahead of him. Problem is his injury problems too, but if near $200k think I'll just leave him as R4.
Vardy, priced at rookie?, 68avg from 10 games in '13. Didn't play this year, don't know his status but if he's fit and in contention during pre-season, he has to be considered.

I really don't think there's anyone else that should be considered. :lol:

Something like NicNat, Leuey/Kreuzer, Bellchambers, Griffin for me at this stage. Have to see who gets R/F too.
Unlike previous years (though perhaps 2014 was the exception), we may actually see some quite different strategies in people's ruck selections.
There is a fair bit of risk associated with some of the above selections, not just due to injury, but also team make-up come round 1. Leuenberger will be an attractive price sure, but how does he score splitting time with Martin? Same discussion with Giles and Bellchambers. Add McEvoy also. Not sure Griffen and Clarke are relevant unless Sandi goes down. Dixon scored well when splitting time R/F, but last year seemed to be playing almost exclusively forward. Grundy couldn't get a game ahead of Witts, that's worrying to say the least. Vardy can't get on the field, and has never scored well when he has. Kreuzer will be tempting at his price, but hasn't ever been a consistently great scorer, granted owing mainly to persistent injuries. At this stage I think I will lean more towards 2 elite, set and forget ruckman. Kreuzer might get consideration, depending on whether they also select Warnock/Wood. He might make you a quick 100k before upgrading to one of the elite rucks.

Unlike previous years (though perhaps 2014 was the exception), we may actually see some quite different strategies in people's ruck selections.
There is a fair bit of risk associated with some of the above selections, not just due to injury, but also team make-up come round 1. Leuenberger will be an attractive price sure, but how does he score splitting time with Martin? Same discussion with Giles and Bellchambers. Add McEvoy also. Not sure Griffen and Clarke are relevant unless Sandi goes down. Dixon scored well when splitting time R/F, but last year seemed to be playing almost exclusively forward. Grundy couldn't get a game ahead of Witts, that's worrying to say the least. Vardy can't get on the field, and has never scored well when he has. Kreuzer will be tempting at his price, but hasn't ever been a consistently great scorer, granted owing mainly to persistent injuries. At this stage I think I will lean more towards 2 elite, set and forget ruckman. Kreuzer might get consideration, depending on whether they also select Warnock/Wood. He might make you a quick 100k before upgrading to one of the elite rucks.

Griffin is more relevant than Clarke but both ARE relevant because of their cheapness and Sandi on his literal last legs. We don't know at this stage that Bellchambers and Giles will start in the same team and I think the former is preferred. Grundy was a second year ruck, and Witts is preferred in the forward line. He's the prodigal son, unless there's strong evidence otherwise you can't write him off. Dixon managed 88 last season when back from injury and not including sub-affected games, considering the year he had that is still pretty darn good. It doesn't matter how well Vardy scores if he's playing he's on your bench mooing.

I mentioned the rest. None of them are going to be crossed out at this stage. I was just listing those that will be options.

With the amount of value next season in the rucks it would be silly to ignore it. I would rather the risk there, so I can reduce it in the midfield or forward line than spend the money all in the ruck. This year 1 prem + 1 underpriced worked. Next season we will have the advantage of having even cheaper ruck bench options. That shouldn't be ignored and with the myriad of options, there's going to be at least one combination there that works.

Don't be surprised to see a few changes at Sydney. Not necessarily to personnel, but perhaps to roles. They way they were ousted necessitates some tinkering I would think. Change in roles for some, may create opportunity for others including the likes of Mitchell and Heeney. A changing of the guard with the likes of Shaw wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility either. Look at what happened to O'Keefe?

I'm assuming that means you will be selecting 2 of jacobs/mummy/sandi/goldy? I'm with Hawkin, I think there is just too much value to ignore, and like the look of Nic Nat, Kreuzer (with Berger a close second), and at least one of griffin/vardy on the bench, probably with a bottom price noob at R4 (assuming they don't do us a favour and scrap R4 altogether). It's certainly a little risky, but if they're going into the season fit I'll be more than happy to back them in.

Also, I know we really should wait until Thursdays fixture announcement to start talking teams, but I'm really hoping I'll be able to run a forward line that looks something like Danger (Lids/Parker), Dusty, Tex, Cloke, Hogan, Membrey/Karnezis. That would make me happy.

I'm assuming that means you will be selecting 2 of jacobs/mummy/sandi/goldy? I'm with Hawkin, I think there is just too much value to ignore, and like the look of Nic Nat, Kreuzer (with Berger a close second), and at least one of griffin/vardy on the bench, probably with a bottom price noob at R4 (assuming they don't do us a favour and scrap R4 altogether). It's certainly a little risky, but if they're going into the season fit I'll be more than happy to back them in.

Also, I know we really should wait until Thursdays fixture announcement to start talking teams, but I'm really hoping I'll be able to run a forward line that looks something like Danger (Lids/Parker), Dusty, Tex, Cloke, Hogan, Membrey/Karnezis. That would make me happy.
I would imagine at least one of those four, maybe two. I quite like Naitanui this year also, maybe Kreuzer depending if he selected as first ruck or if he is splitting time with Warnock/Wood.
I think sometimes we can fall into the trap of focussing on price rather than on performance. Just because someone is cheap, doesn't mean they are necessarily worth having at the expense of someone who will perform. We can all get caught 'chasing the coin' rather than 'chasing scores'. As always, depends a little on whether you are going for a high finish overall, or a league win.

I would imagine at least one of those four, maybe two. I quite like Naitanui this year also, maybe Kreuzer depending if he selected as first ruck or if he is splitting time with Warnock/Wood.
I think sometimes we can fall into the trap of focussing on price rather than on performance. Just because someone is cheap, doesn't mean they are necessarily worth having at the expense of someone who will perform. We can all get caught 'chasing the coin' rather than 'chasing scores'. As always, depends a little on whether you are going for a high finish overall, or a league win.

Yeah of course it's a fine balance between price and (potential) performance, but if you can find one or two guys in your squad that can get somewhere near that elite performance without the premium price tag it is so beneficial (particularly for overall aspirants). I just think that unless a standout rookie ruck becomes available than that sort of almost premium and mid-pricer is a real option this year. I don't particularly trust any of the guys that averaged 100+ this year to stay on the park/back up those averages.

Plenty of different strategy options though, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Plenty of value this year, should mean some strong starting squads

B: Seedsman (360k), Ricky Henderson (>350k), Waters (>300k), Whitecross (>250k), B.Reid (200k)
M: S.Selwood (>450k), Rich (>350k), Wells (>350k)
R: Naitanui (500k), Kreuzer (>300k), Vardy, Griffin (>200k)
F: Wingard (>450k), Walters (350k), T.Mitchell (350k), Sylvia (200k), M.Clark (??), Hogan (Rookie priced)

Based off this years pricing of course

Last edited:

B: Seedsman (360k), Ricky Henderson (>350k), Waters (>300k), Whitecross (>250k), B.Reid (200k)
F: Wingard (>450k), Walters (350k), T.Mitchell (350k), Sylvia (200k), M.Clark (??), Hogan (Rookie priced)

Also J.Steven & Swan at around 450K, and Ryan Griffen underpriced at ~525K if he is at full fitness.

There's only 3 in that list I'd consider

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's only 3 in that list I'd consider
5 for mine. Naitanui, Kreuzer, Wingard, Mitchell, Hogan
Key word, 'consider' ;)

Last edited:

Henderson, Walters, Mitchell

Key word, 'consider' ;)

J Griffin. Walters mitchell only
kreuzer maybe
so thats 4 for me as a maybe

Key word, 'consider' ;)

J Griffin. Walters mitchell only
kreuzer maybe
so thats 4 for me as a maybe

Pretty keen on a ruck combo of NicNat/Maric.

Don't be surprised to see a few changes at Sydney. Not necessarily to personnel, but perhaps to roles. They way they were ousted necessitates some tinkering I would think. Change in roles for some, may create opportunity for others including the likes of Mitchell and Heeney. A changing of the guard with the likes of Shaw wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility either. Look at what happened to O'Keefe?
Rohan, Malceski to back flank, Mitchell permantley in middle. Reid ends up spending half the season as a KPD. Someone else to be a backup forward instead of Membrey.

Bennell or Duncan if fwd eligible.

On second thoughts,

6484742.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back