2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I
49.23, the highest of seen around here for quite a while, very sad to see, I remember playing a game years ago against urana and we kicked 47.14, really wasnt much fun

I know I will probably cop it for this, but I'm going to go there.
Is there honestly a future for the Wodonga Saints?
I know a lot of people put a lot of time & effort into it, but losing by 47 goals is just wrong.
Do they go back out to Bethanga? Is that an option.

I know I will probably cop it for this, but I'm going to go there.
Is there honestly a future for the Wodonga Saints?
I know a lot of people put a lot of time & effort into it, but losing by 47 goals is just wrong.
Do they go back out to Bethanga? Is that an option.
I might sound a little biased being primarily an upper murray league person but I'd think the Saints would have a comfortable home in our league playing games out of Bethanga. Much like Bullioh who struggled to stay afloat in the Tallangatta league and eventually had to merge with Tallangatta they've been successful in our league since reforming. The Saints have been playing out of Wodonga for the better part of 15 years with very little success maybe it's time they had a change of tact before they fold altogether. Just my opinion by I think it has merit.

I might sound a little biased being primarily an upper murray league person but I'd think the Saints would have a comfortable home in our league playing games out of Bethanga. Much like Bullioh who struggled to stay afloat in the Tallangatta league and eventually had to merge with Tallangatta they've been successful in our league since reforming. The Saints have been playing out of Wodonga for the better part of 15 years with very little success maybe it's time they had a change of tact before they fold altogether. Just my opinion by I think it has merit.

Kill two birds with 1 stone here, Saints to upper Murray league & that creates another bye throughout the season.
Done

Bethanga maybe in option. but how will they go with juniors out there?

Not much happening on here? Kiewa look like they will finish on top and looks like tallangatta have done enough to stitch up a top 3. Mitta might be starting to come good and think them barny thurgoona chiltern Beechworth and wahgunyah are all going to battle out the last 3 finals spots. Anyone want to predict top 5. Ill go with kiewa tallangatta barny beechworth wahgunyah.

Happened to watch most of the Saints V DMB game. Bradshaw still very hard to stop . Saints have no support off the field. DMB had more people watching and the canteen was shut at halftime. The umpiring was very confusing at times. More to the point one umpire was and the other did a great job. Noticed DMB coach Jones talking to them at halftime. He couldn't understand some of the calls. When he walked off the umpires discussed it and the good one was confussed aswell. Look for Saints to move Upper Murray may be a good thing but who ever makes the call has to have tthe full support of the club. Maybe waiting for the mega complex to be built out at Barnaduda.

With council strapped for funds I hear the Baranduda sports precinct is at least a decade away. I doubt whether the saints would be prepared to go back to being a district club at Bethanga. The Wodonga experiment looked so promising 15 years ago but with the Bulldogs and Raiders being major clubs the saints barely get any scraps.

Certainly a major struggle for Wodonga Saints. To be beaten by a side only to spots higher on the ladder by 216 points is staggering. Kudos to them for putting 5 sides on the park but you have to seriously worry about the future of the Club

Barny:
The emergence of youngsters Rylie Transome and Josh Star has shot the Tigers into finals contention. Big body Midfield Tom Anson has been in sensational touch doing the grunt work threw the middle of the ground while Cam McNeil and Paul Harrington have use there pace to create havoc and deliver the ball to Josh Spence who has been kicking goals for fun in the first half of 2015, expect the young tiger outfit to feature in September.

B&F: Josh Spence

Beechworth;
The surprise package of the season in a lot of ways, after finishing second last in season 2014 the bushrangers sit a game clear in 3rd spot on the ladder after a brilliant start to the season lead by Kayde and Brenton Surray along with Dylan Pritchard who has been causing teams head aches all season

B&F: Kayde Surray

Chiltern;
Chilterns season has been one of ups and downs with Brad Hibberson suspended for 6 weeks in the early stages of the season which has defiantly not help, Mark Doolan is leading his side from the front though and has them sitting just percentage outside the 5 with an upset win over Tallangatta there highlight.

B&F: Mark Doolan

Dedarang;
After a disaster start to the year and sacking there coach just 3 weeks before the middle of the season the bombers have been much more competitive since the sacking of Mark Almound. Darren Bradshaw is still the only big target in the forward line, while Matt Lee and interleague full-back Andrew Cardwell have battled in adversity

B&F: Andrew Cardwell

Kiewa;
Simply unbeatable, apart from s draw against thugoona in a sloppy mud pit, the Hawks have simply blown sides away with ease. Jye Shileds has proven why he is widely regarded by many as the best player in the Comp while Guy Telford looks set to kick 100 goals for the year baring injury as he sits on 71 at the half way mark of the season averaging a very healthy 7.89 a game. To sum it up, Back-to-Back

B&F: Jye Shileds, Guy Telford

Yackandandah;
Yackandandah have again been lead by there superstar Trent Castles who has been supported by Jindura recruit Daniel Cassidy and Jack Fisher-Curnow. Young 18 year old Josh Pan has poped up and shown glimpses that his going to be a good player for the years to come

B&F; Trent Castles, Daniel Cassidy, Sam Withdrow

Thurgoona;
A different year for Thurgoona, sitting just outside the 5 at the half way make but have got no where near there full list available to choice from, Kade Brown has been having hamstring problems and that's a high blow for the Bulldogs, while captain Lucas Milliar has played the 1 game and made a successful return against Rutherglen after his 8 week suspension. Young big man John Willis has been a stand out performer all season, while Sam Cross and Matt Fowler haven't been at there dominant best but have been good at times, don't be surprised if the Bulldogs miss the 5 but at the same time don't be surprised if they make it.

B&F: John Willis

Rutherglen;
The Cats have been in every game they have played this year but just haven't been able to get over the line, there win loss record of 2-7 is certainly not a reflection of the season they have put together, with stars like Tom Marlow, Lindsay Seymour and Jake Meyer struggling to get on the park and stay on the park for extended games. Sam Bowers has continued his best and fairest form from last year and looks well and truely on his way to another, while Ian Kay and Matthew Farruiga have battled til the death each week and young key defender Ryan Jones has taken on the best forwards every week and won most times. Expect the Cats to win a lot more games in the second half of the year but just miss the finals

B&F: Sam Bowers, Ian Kay

Mitta;
The mountain men seem to have there season back on track now after starting the season 0-4 they now sit in 6th spot with a few upset wins under there belt. The form of young gun Ben Patton who has taken the competition by storm this season in his debut year has been outstanding after missing the Murray Bushrangers squad, Jeff Cox has been a rock deep in defence having his best season since coming from the Wodonga Raiders a few years ago along with Cox, Nathan Renyldson has found his Barton Medal form from 2012 and has even in absolutely everything and is a massive reason why mitta has turned its season around.

B&F; Ben Paton, Jeff Cox

Wahgunyah;
After a few recruits in the off-season Wahgunyah has properly under performed so far this season. Luke Ednie has only played the 3 games which has hurt the Lions, in positive news Nick Brockley has been fantastic all season kicking 50 goals but the negative is that they don't have another player who has double figures in the goal department.

B&F: Nick Brockley, Andrew Robins

Tallangatta;
The big improver this season, the hoppers recruited perfectly this season, Tim Brook, Ben Hinreach, James Breen, Tom Russell has all been in sensational form all year and at the reason why they are where they are, the form of small forward Luke Bloom has been another shinning light with 28 goals in 10 games. I expect the Hoppers to be playing in the last game of the season

B&F: Tim Brook, Luke Bloom

Wod saints;
2015 was always going to be another tough year for the Saints with the losses they had over the off season and at the half way point they have been handed some hefty beltings none quit as heavy or embarrassing as the 300 points loss to Tallangatta, first year coach Scott Montgomary has a lot of work to do over the off season

B&F; Kori Stevenson

Barny:
The emergence of youngsters Rylie Transome and Josh Star has shot the Tigers into finals contention. Big body Midfield Tom Anson has been in sensational touch doing the grunt work threw the middle of the ground while Cam McNeil and Paul Harrington have use there pace to create havoc and deliver the ball to Josh Spence who has been kicking goals for fun in the first half of 2015, expect the young tiger outfit to feature in September.

Beechworth;
The surprise package of the season in a lot of ways, after finishing second last in season 2014 the bushrangers sit a game clear in 3rd spot on the ladder after a brilliant start to the season lead by Kayde and Brenton Surray along with Dylan Pritchard who has been causing teams head aches all season

Chiltern;
Chilterns season has been one of ups and downs with Brad Hibberson suspended for 6 weeks in the early stages of the season which has defiantly not help, Mark Doolan is leading his side from the front though and has them sitting just percentage outside the 5 with an upset win over Tallangatta there highlight.

Dedarang;
After a disaster start to the year and sacking there coach just 3 weeks before the middle of the season the bombers have been much more competitive since the sacking of Mark Almound. Darren Bradshaw is still the only big target in the forward line, while Matt Lee and interleague full-back Andrew Cardwell have battled in adversity

Kiewa;
Simply unbeatable, apart from s draw against thugoona in a sloppy mud pit, the Hawks have simply blown sides away with ease. Jye Shileds has proven why he is widely regarded by many as the best player in the Comp while Guy Telford looks set to kick 100 goals for the year baring injury as he sits on 71 at the half way mark of the season averaging a very healthy 7.89 a game. To sum it up, Back-to-Back

Yackandandah;
Yackandandah have again been lead by there superstar Trent Castles who has been supported by Jindura recruit Daniel Cassidy and Jack Fisher-Curnow. Young 18 year old Josh Pan has poped up and shown glimpses that his going to be a good player for the years to come

Thurgoona;
A different year for Thurgoona, sitting just outside the 5 at the half way make but have got no where near there full list available to choice from, Kade Brown has been having hamstring problems and that's a high blow for the Bulldogs, while captain Lucas Milliar has played the 1 game and made a successful return against Rutherglen after his 8 week suspension. Young big man John Willis has been a stand out performer all season, while Sam Cross and Matt Fowler haven't been at there dominant best but have been good at times, don't be surprised if the Bulldogs miss the 5 but at the same time don't be surprised if they make it.

Rutherglen;
The Cats have been in every game they have played this year but just haven't been able to get over the line, there win loss record of 2-7 is certainly not a reflection of the season they have put together, with stars like Tom Marlow, Lindsay Seymour and Jake Meyer struggling to get on the park and stay on the park for extended games. Sam Bowers has continued his best and fairest form from last year and looks well and truely on his way to another, while Ian Kay and Matthew Farruiga have battled til the death each week and young key defender Ryan Jones has taken on the best forwards every week and won most times. Expect the Cats to win a lot more games in the second half of the year but just miss the finals

Mitta;
The mountain men seem to have there season back on track now after starting the season 0-4 they now sit in 6th spot with a few upset wins under there belt. The form of young gun Ben Patton who has taken the competition by storm this season in his debut year has been outstanding after missing the Murray Bushrangers squad, Jeff Cox has been a rock deep in defence having his best season since coming from the Wodonga Raiders a few years ago along with Cox, Nathan Renyldson has found his Barton Medal form from 2012 and has even in absolutely everything and is a massive reason why mitta has turned its season around.

B&F; Ben Paton, Jeff Cox

Wahgunyah;
After a few recruits in the off-season Wahgunyah has properly under performed so far this season. Luke Ednie has only played the 3 games which has hurt the Lions, in positive news Nick Brockley has been fantastic all season kicking 50 goals but the negative is that they don't have another player who has double figures in the goal department.

Tallangatta;
The big improver this season, the hoppers recruited perfectly this season, Tim Brook, Ben Hinreach, James Breen, Tom Russell has all been in sensational form all year and at the reason why they are where they are, the form of small forward Luke Bloom has been another shinning light with 28 goals in 10 games. I expect the Hoppers to be playing in the last game of the season

Wod saints;
2015 was always going to be another tough year for the Saints with the losses they had over the off season and at the half way point they have been handed some hefty beltings none quit as heavy or embarrassing as the 300 points loss to Tallangatta, first year coach Scott Montgomary has a lot of work to do over the off season

B&F; Kori Stevenson
I don't think Montgomery will have too much to worry about in the Off Season. Great summary of all the teams though

Barny:

Beechworth;

Chiltern;

Dedarang;

Kiewa;

Yackandandah;

Thurgoona;

Rutherglen;

Mitta;

B&F; Ben Paton, Jeff Cox

Wahgunyah;

Tallangatta;

Wod saints;

B&F; Kori Stevenson
Good write up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mail has him not being there next Season

Any names on who might take over mate? pretty big statement saying a coach with not much to work with is gunna get the ass after just one year, don't think the results are a direct reflection on Scotty himself but the club as a whole.

Any names on who might take over mate? pretty big statement saying a coach with not much to work with is gunna get the ass after just one year, don't think the results are a direct reflection on Scotty himself but the club as a whole.
80% of a coaches 'ability' is actually who he can bring to the club with him. So far he'd have to bring 15 very good senior players with him to get the Saints becoming a good side and that costs $$$. Good luck to him or whoever takes over:)

Certainly not having a crack at Scott. I believe whoever goes there would need to take at least 12 if not more players as well as keeping the better ones from this Season. Oh and I don't think he will be getting the ass

Certainly not having a crack at Scott. I believe whoever goes there would need to take at least 12 if not more players as well as keeping the better ones from this Season. Oh and I don't think he will be getting the ass

I agree with the above comment about a coach having to bring at least 15 players with him if the saints are gunna inprove but who want to go there even if there best mate was coach would be extremely hard to get players to go there as its a woeful club with a woeful culture

Your mail saying Scott might walk ?

I agree with the above comment about a coach having to bring at least 15 players with him if the saints are gunna inprove but who want to go there even if there best mate was coach would be extremely hard to get players to go there as its a woeful club with a woeful culture

Your mail saying Scott might walk ?
Like most Coaches do I'd imagine Scott and The Saints Commitee would be no doubt discussing their options for next Season. I'd imagine if he doesn't Coach then it would be a mutual decision between the two

Put a fork in em......

80% of a coaches 'ability' is actually who he can bring to the club with him. So far he'd have to bring 15 very good senior players with him to get the Saints becoming a good side and that costs $$$. Good luck to him or whoever takes over:)

Comments like this prove how far the TDFL has fallen! To say that 80% of a coaches ability is his players is a poor reflection on the coaches and league in general.

I agree that it would be what is required when the playing stock are as low as they are at the saints but surely this isn't the case across the league/s?

Some of the coaches must be coaching with a bit more that 20% ability? Especially given what they get paid!

Comments like this prove how far the TDFL has fallen! To say that 80% of a coaches ability is his players is a poor reflection on the coaches and league in general.

I agree that it would be what is required when the playing stock are as low as they are at the saints but surely this isn't the case across the league/s?

Some of the coaches must be coaching with a bit more that 20% ability? Especially given what they get paid!

I disagree with the sentiment that the coach must bring players. If a club is run properly the club will attract the players that will hopefully stay on if the coach leaves for what ever reason. Recruiting to me is 75% club 25% coach. Otherwise you run around chasing your arse forever and a day.

I disagree with the sentiment that the coach must bring players. If a club is run properly the club will attract the players that will hopefully stay on if the coach leaves for what ever reason. Recruiting to me is 75% club 25% coach. Otherwise you run around chasing your arse forever and a day.
spot on.

Spot onBox

I think Wodonga Saints need to fold. This comment will offend some of the hard working and loyal volunteers that have put in an enormous amount of work but the fact is that they have only had a minimal amount of success in their long history as both Bethanga and Wodonga Saints. The same people do all the work and things are obviously going from bad to worse. Another reason why I make this suggestion is that there is a shortage of players in all grades across many clubs. Juniors often play Saturday and Sunday to help clubs fill in numbers and many senior clubs battle to fill the reserves each week. Losing a club that doesn't have the emotional tie to a community that a traditional country club does isn't going to be a huge loss and at the same time the 80 senior and junior players could filter through to clubs in need of extra players.
Again this isn't a reflection on the club personnel but is based on the fact Country Footy needs less of a strain on the player pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back