2015 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent yes. Attitude?? Many a talented player has been let down by also being a tool.

Agreed. I was super high on Agius last year because he was just so much above the level - talent. Now he's playing at a level where he has to work for it and is struggling. As a result he's dropped massively for mine and I now rate him lower than most on here - his level of poor work rate is hard to overcome. At least from what I've seen on field he just won't track his opponent to a near enough standard, doesn't put his head over the ball as often as necessary and second efforts are non existent. Not only that but doesn't work hard to find the ball either and even forward isn't putting in those repeat leads which he needs to to excel.

I hope he gets there. But I'm unsure at the moment. Very unsure.

Hey skippos, have you heard of Lachlan Cameron, heard he is a jet at West Adelaide, any chances to be in the draft pool next year

Also any news on Mingma Sherpa, also heard he has all talent, but a bit on the outer with the hierarchy at Sturt

Chris25 is Partington or Snelling going to cop the tag against WA on Saturday? mine is Partington since his clearance work is so damaging and Snelling has a sub-elite disposal, Thoughts?

F: Quinn, Ladhams, McKenzie
HF: Milera, Allen, Dawson
C: Presbury, Snelling, Dew
HB: Francis, Westhoff, Bonner
B: Tahana, Surman, Agostino
R: Parella, Scharenberg, Hewett
INT: Cross, Haysman, Markov, Partington, Nunn

Some interesting selections

Agius, Broadwood and Olekalns out with Surman as a key defender and Ladhams a the second ruck/key forward. Haven't seen much of a forward game in Ladhams but he is a talent. I'd have played Broadwood and swung Surman forward. I'd also have found space for Olekalns; he's all class.

Agius, Broadwood and Olekalns out with Surman as a key defender and Ladhams a the second ruck/key forward. Haven't seen much of a forward game in Ladhams but he is a talent. I'd have played Broadwood and swung Surman forward. I'd also have found space for Olekalns; he's all class.

Where did you get the team? Others up yets?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure why the first comment wasnt replied to. biggest surprise here is the inclusion of Ladhams. he is thinner than air, and will be bodied out of the game when rucking. certainly we have a great midfield but not sure about the service they will recieve. i've played on Ladhams and do not rate at all

Hey skippos, have you heard of Lachlan Cameron, heard he is a jet at West Adelaide, any chances to be in the draft pool next year

Also any news on Mingma Sherpa, also heard he has all talent, but a bit on the outer with the hierarchy at Sturt

Only knowledge of Sherpa is due to him being a Mercedes kid. Haven't come across him in a footballing sense and given that i think it's safe to assume he's not in draft contention. Cameron I've only seen once and that was in a game last year I believe where I wasn't really following him - big tall right? At this stage I can't evaluate his prospects accurately but if you're playing a game of reserves in '14 at that height and you're a '16 prospect you'd think there is a little to work with. He's another Mercedes boy too, isn't he? I wonder what school you go to :p

not sure why the first comment wasnt replied to. biggest surprise here is the inclusion of Ladhams. he is thinner than air, and will be bodied out of the game when rucking. certainly we have a great midfield but not sure about the service they will recieve. i've played on Ladhams and do not rate at all

Don't worry mate, I'll always reply it's just not always instantly.

I agree the Ladhams selection was surprising but perhaps it's a case of Sticks reckoning that Hoare or Surman wouldn't give much either - which is probably correct. So he's decided to give the kid that's got more potential to make the grade next year a run. With his height Ladhams will at least give a contest for the smalls to rove and he'll definitely offer more chopping out in the ruck than Surman. WA have Goddard who's 202 and excellent as well as the 199cm Strnadica so I think it would be a tough ask to expect Parella to ruck most of the game against two talls at his age, and also it'd be throwing Surman to the wolves. Last year we always had two rucks - with a combination of miller, read and sullivan playing, throw in Durdin who was a genuine ruck option at that level too. I suspect we will play two rucks often given Sticks' penchant for it. Definitely against metro with Kovacevic.

Last edited:

Surman is the only real surprise for me. I had a suspicion that Broadwood wasn't rated quite as highly as I'd have liked, but I thought he'd get the spot more on default. Phillips had trialed Surman at both ends though, so it's not completely out of left field. They're probably looking to replicate the role they would have gotten from Sullivan - I think he was set to be the swingman, pinch hitting in the ruck as opposed to leading it. So we'll see how Surman goes, and also Ladhams. And whether both are in the team next week.

I think Agius has been forced out, just as much by the form of others as his own form. He'll get a chance during the Championships, but Dawson deserves to be in the week 1 team. And they're directly competing for that spot. Olekalns is in a similar spot, with Presbury being the much better performed player this year. I'd take Markov over Olekalns anyway.

Skippos, would you say the Crows should go after Aish with their first pick this year or do you think their may be better South Aussies in the draft around that pick?

Skippos, would you say the Crows should go after Aish with their first pick this year or do you think their may be better South Aussies in the draft around that pick?

I'm personally a fan of the idea that you recruit quality people into your footy club. If you're bringing someone in through an alternative measure - you want them to add to the performance of the side but also the chemistry of the group. You'll never hear about it but players are often apprehensive towards big money signings at first and they do have the potential to polarise the group - so it's so important that they're quality people to ease that transition. From what I've seen of James in both his demeanor off and on the field and his approach to this fiasco, I'm not particularly sure he is. Not only that but you're bringing in a player at 'par' value despite them being at a low point.

To me, right now Aish is a poor investment if you're paying 'market' or 'overs' - he had a decent first season but across the last four years has shown little year to year improvement and has some serious ?s over his performances this year. In paying a first round pick, you're assigning no reduction to his value from the day he was drafted and implying that he's worth as much now as he was that day - a dangerous idea given the ?s that surround him. Not to mention the fact that he is out of contract.

I'd be inclined to say no. Too much risk and he doesn't offer the pace we need, only the composure.

How does Parella rate in this Draft?

I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition - the scope is definitely there.

Given just how raw and new he is and his year to year improvement I could conceivably see him going in the second or third round. I think he's as likely as any ruck in this crop to make it at AFL level.

I've got a few reservations about Andre as a person, however, and that might hold him back.

I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition - the scope is definitely there.

Given just how raw and new he is and his year to year improvement I could conceivably see him going in the second or third round. I think he's as likely as any ruck in this crop to make it at AFL level.

I've got a few reservations about Andre as a person, however, and that might hold him back.

At 104kg he is already a Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back