Race Distance: 3307.024km
Lap Record: 1:21.670 (Raikkonen) 2008
Race Time: 2pm local (10pm AEST)
Tyres: Hard (Prime), Medium (Option)
2014 Results: 1. Lewis Hamilton, 2. Nico Rosberg, 3. Daniel Ricciardo
Australian TV Coverage: Fox

1024px-Catalunya.svg.png

Track characteristics:

At last F1 returns to Europe, bringing with it a raft of upgrades and the traditional GP start times. A fast, flowing track every driver knows better than any other due to the amount of testing done here, Barcelona is a track not exactly renowned for its overtaking. Expect lots of attention around Turn 3 following Fernando Alonso's mysterious testing crash, with a new CCTV camera having been installed there.

Headlines
  • McLaren's livery
After careful research McLaren have identified the main problem with its car: The paint job. As such they will be debuting a "dynamic, predatory" new darker livery in Spain. Whether it comes from the same think tank as Hawthorn's "modern graphic" clash jumper is yet to be seen, but it does bear a more than passing resemblance to the 2010 HRT, it's even at the back of the grid.
  • Renault stop performance work
Following the disastarous reliability issues in the last two races, according to Daniel Ricciardo Renault have basically suspended all performance improvement work to try and resolve those issues. So whilst Red Bull will be using a new aero package the engine will be more or less the same as it has been power wise. So it could be more of the same for Red Bull.

Things to watch
  • Ferrari v Mercedes
According to Niki Lauda the power gap between the two teams is now "zero". Vettel and Raikkonen are definitely up to the task of matching Hamilton and Rosberg if the car allows them to so after fears of another boring year following Australia, we could be set for a fantastic battle between two famous names in motorsport.
  • Upgrades
As usual, the return to Europe brings with it a raft of upgrades. So it will be interesting to see who's gained and lost the most ground. Aero, engine (sorry Renault), there's always big changes upon the return to Europe. Will be interesting to see who is leading the way behind the big two teams.

#ForzaJules

This thread takes me back....
To last week, when wondering why I hadn't seen any race threads by Friday I checked to see what was going on and found out it hadn't been 3 weeks yet. I was very unhappy.

Makes the lack of sponsors less noticea noticeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hrmmmmmmm interesting....wonder if anything will come from this before the race?

Apparently some teams have been storing fuel past the FIA fuel flow meter, so they can use more than the 100kg/hr flow-rate...........

Oh, and by the way, this sums up my whole problem with the F1 technical regs beautifully.
The stated aim of the 100kg/h fuel flow limit iirc was to prevent teams going nuts with the FF during qualifying because this would mean the engine components would be under more stress and more likely to fail etc. But as I keep saying, THE TEAMS WILL SPEND WHATEVER MONEY THEY HAVE!

So instead of them spending money on finding ways to make engine components stand higher pressure reliably (i.e. something that can trickle down to road cars/aircraft engines/whatever) they spend money on coming up with clever ways to circumvent a stupid rule which benefits nobody outside the team.

It gives me the massive shits.

Tell you what, it is good to see Natalie Pinkham back. She always asks really great questions. The people they had filling in for her were pretty ordinary.

And of course good to see she's well and healthy again.

Those Sky pad interviews with the drivers are usually pretty s**t but Bottas was excellent. He was really able to give decent insight rather than the usual 'yeah I tried to go fast'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back