Review 2015 St Kilda Intraclub

Remove this Banner Ad

BTW

Has this been mentioned... And I think that public comments are very diluted

AR: Spencer still has some work to do on his game and didn't quite get there this week. He was reasonable in the intra club.

Yet Spence was the leading goal kicker?

Would you be happy snake

If he kicked two a game

And his opponent averaged 15 marks, 30 possessions?

Just interested

Mate, we aren't all hailing Spencer as our next great hope (we have PMac for that).

We are all aware of his shortcomings, what you are saying has merit. But the kids played 2 games and has never had a full preseason until this year due to his wrists.

So he is a work in progress. He will continue to work on his fitness, which will allow him to apply this magical 'forward pressure' while continuing to work on his game at VFL. And if he ticks enough of his KPIs he will get a call up to the AFL.

But you calling an under prepared 20 yo player, who was given a game for experience over merit, is poor form. Call him lazy, not fit enough but the word 'cheat' has stigma attached to it.

Which should be left for people like James Hird.

Mate, we aren't all hailing Spencer as our next great hope (we have PMac for that).

We are all aware of his shortcomings, what you are saying has merit. But the kids played 2 games and has never had a full preseason until this year due to his wrists.

So he is a work in progress. He will continue to work on his fitness, which will allow him to apply this magical 'forward pressure' while continuing to work on his game at VFL. And if he ticks enough of his KPIs he will get a call up to the AFL.

But you calling an under prepared 20 yo player, who was given a game for experience over merit, is poor form. Call him lazy, not fit enough but the word 'cheat' has stigma attached to it.

Which should be left for people like James Hird.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Not sure the primary role of a fwd is to allow their opponent to get 29 touches and 15 marks... You'd need to kick a big bag just to break even...

Even then... We are not considering how the player got their goals??

Because spencer was on fisher the whole time wasn't he...fair dinkum

So Longer v Holmes:

Longer: 3 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles
Holmes: 1 kick, 7 handballs, 8 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles

Plus the board consensus tends to be that Holmes won the majority of the hit outs.

That is slightly concerning if a bloke who's played footy all his life, with 25 games of AFL experience, is not well ahead of a guy who just picked up the game a few years ago.
Never really rated Longer, love his aggression, but thats where it ends, he needs to find more ball around the ground. I think as long as Hickey is fit, no one challenges him at this point;. I like the two developing ruckman though

I think it's also important to note that the physical maturity that comes from weights over years is critical.

Holmes is the 25 and Longer is 21

Not sure the primary role of a fwd is to allow their opponent to get 29 touches and 15 marks... You'd need to kick a big bag just to break even...

Even then... We are not considering how the player got their goals??

Who got 29 possessions? I'm not sure a forwards primary role isn't to score goals. In the last decade that's not enough and the more you can stop the ball coming out the better. If Spencer is getting the ball delivered to him between 15 and 29 times he should get a bag though also. I'd take 6 goal bags for the trade off of 29 possessions in their backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is fair, but no one was saying Spencer was best on in that game. It was his first (?) game. It's reasonable to expect his more experienced opponent would outplay him.

Regardless, he still kicked 3 goals in that game. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I agree, and like I said in Spencer's thread, he dropped about 5 marks that he would usually swallow in that game, so it had the potential to very easily be a much more effective game offensively. I think a combo of first game nerves, being exhausted and then the late rain contributed to him dropping those marks. Had he taken them, it could have been an 8 mark, 3 or 4 goal game and that really would have been something, even if he got cut up by Chaplin the other way.

Troy Chaplin got 29 possies and 15 marks against us/Spencer in that game v Richmond late last year.
Its quite unfair to talk about white as if he is hopeless. He only played 1 or 2 games. How many games has Chaplin played?

I agree, and like I said in Spencer's thread, he dropped about 5 marks that he would usually swallow in that game, so it had the potential to very easily be a much more effective game offensively. I think a combo of first game nerves, being exhausted and then the late rain contributed to him dropping those marks. Had he taken them, it could have been an 8 mark, 3 or 4 goal game and that really would have been something, even if he got cut up by Chaplin the other way.
If I remember correctly, after that game he also talked about 1st game nerves. He got alit of assistance from the coaches

Its quite unfair to talk about white as if he is hopeless. He only played 1 or 2 games. How many games has Chaplin played?
Why are you having a go at me, I was just answering Gringo's question of who had 29 possessions?

kitty_messenger.jpg

Last edited:
There's probably a reason you've never heard them? As I said, not sure your involvement?!

What I do know, is that players who run one way, or don't contribute to defence... And hang back waiting for a turn over.... Get exposed.

White, Lee and Siposs are weak defensively... Well known and documented
By coach and players

Spencer allowed his man to attack off him too often again at the intra club
As he did in his massive 3 goal (6 possession) game vs Rich we all rave about...
His direct opponent for the game
29 possessions 15 marks

It is not the 1980's anymore. The modern game is not straight up one on one match ups anymore. Simply referencing a direct opponents possession count and declaring a player was terrible defensively is way too simplistic in modern footy.

With rolling zones it may not be Spencers priority to ensure his direct opponent does not touch the ball, rather it might be to setup in the most dangerous space. Additionally, Spencers opponent might have been given a licence to run off but with the support of an additional defender lagging back, as a result Spencer could have had 2 opponents in his vicinity. With our slow ball movement there is every chance there was a lot of this occurring.

Finally, there are so many easy possessions in the backline when the whole team provides little pressure. Teams are rarely forced to bomb long against us at the moment because our team pressure is not up to the required standard. Teams just flick it around against us with ease in the backline racking up easy possessions until they find an opening and then boom, they are away.

I am not trying to say Spencer is great defensively either, I just think a forwards direct opponents stats do not tell the whole story at all.

I think it's also important to note that the physical maturity that comes from weights over years is critical.

Holmes is the 25 and Longer is 21
Think a lot of peeps forget how young he is.
He was thrown to the wolves a bit last yr from necessity when he probably shouldve been eased into it a little more. . Yes he has parts of his game to improve.
But he did a bloody good job last yr trying to step up in the absence of Hickey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back