State of Origin 2015 State of Origin Discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, there was a footy game on tonight?

And here was me packing up my house, watching the cricket, watching the TDF etc...

:cry:

Has there ever been a bigger joke than Mitchell Pearce, talk about getting a game on reputation he was nothing but a turnstile out there tonight. :D

Yeh and even worse it was his fathers reputation. NSW never learn , though any team Thurston, Inglis, and Smith are near unbeatable, still does not make the Pearce selection correct especially when nsw won it last year and Pearce was not selected.

You know what I don't get. People in NSW go on about QLD having players that aren't from QLD but if you go through the 2015 team you'll find everyone except Greg Inglis was either born in QLD or moved there at a very young age. Okay so Inglis probably should be playing for NSW but Tamou should be playing for NZ so both teams have one guy that shouldn't be lining up for them. My opnion - NSW people are just making excuses for the fact that their team has sucked for a decade.

So then it would be State of Choice.

Sounds more like a Katherine Heigel TV Series than a footy contest.

Sounds silly on the surface but Origin is such a passionate thing. I would rather players play for the state they identify with more as they are growing up. Won't happen though.

Sounds silly on the surface but Origin is such a passionate thing. I would rather players play for the state they identify with more as they are growing up. Won't happen though.
Some have stepped off a plane at the age of 16 and decided either Queensland or NSW... Hardly identify with that state in their youth...

Why don't they just put a rule in place that states whatever state you play the most of your junior footy in is the state you play for in origin? That way you're rewarding the junior development programs in either state as opposed to having a player picking which state they feel like playing for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So someone else ticks a box to tell you where you play for.

Might seem silly but if you don't wanna play as a blue then why would you?
They shouldn't be allowed to play.

For example, can Robbie Farrah play for the indigenous team in the all-stars game because he feels strongly about indigenous issues? No. Because he's not indigenous.

Can a below NRL standard, Ron Massey cup player play for Austrslia because he loves the country so damn much? No. Because he's not good enough - he didn't qualify on the grounds of not being good enough.

If we select teams on grounds such as race, and their ability, why can't we simply say Origin is for players BORN in NSW and QLD only.

Who cares where you moved to when your plane flew in from NZ or South Africa or China and you settled.

If you are not BORN in NSW or QLD you no longer qualify for Origin. Regardless of what box you ticked.

Why don't they just put a rule in place that states whatever state you play the most of your junior footy in is the state you play for in origin? That way you're rewarding the junior development programs in either state as opposed to having a player picking which state they feel like playing for.

I don't care how they do it. I just know I don't particularly want anybody playing for Qld that is only doing so for the prestige rather than state pride. It's what the Qld Origin side has been built on.

They shouldn't be allowed to play.

For example, can Robbie Farrah play for the indigenous team in the all-stars game because he feels strongly about indigenous issues? No. Because he's not indigenous.

Can a below NRL standard, Ron Massey cup player play for Austrslia because he loves the country so damn much? No. Because he's not good enough - he didn't qualify on the grounds of not being good enough.

If we select teams on grounds such as race, and their ability, why can't we simply say Origin is for players BORN in NSW and QLD only.

Who cares where you moved to when your plane flew in from NZ or South Africa or China and you settled.

If you are not BORN in NSW or QLD you no longer qualify for Origin. Regardless of what box you ticked.
I don't like that idea at all. Should Will Chambers not be allowed to play origin just because he was born in the Northern Territory? Is John Farnham not Australian because he happened to be born in England? Two of our last three Prime Ministers were born overseas. I say they stick to the rule of where you played most of your junior league decides who you represent at both the state and international level. That way you are rewarding junior development programs.

I don't like that idea at all. Should Will Chambers not be allowed to play origin just because he was born in the Northern Territory? Is John Farnham not Australian because he happened to be born in England? Two of our last three Prime Ministers were born overseas. I say they stick to the rule of where you played most of your junior league decides who you represent at both the state and international level. That way you are rewarding junior development programs.
Then change the name to All Stars.

Otherwise buy a ******* dictionary and learn the meaning of the word ORIGIN.

Origin
the point or place where something begins, arises, or is derived.

That definition can be interpreted in several different ways, including both yours and my definition.

Aggression is a little bit unnecessary isn't it?

The NRL obviously interpret Origin in a different way from place of birth. They look at Origins of a football career rather than the players existence.

It works. Adrian Lam moved to Qld when he was 7 and went on to captain Qld with a hell of a lot of passion.

Aggression is a little bit unnecessary isn't it?

The NRL obviously interpret Origin in a different way from place of birth. They look at Origins of a football career rather than the players existence.

It works. Adrian Lam moved to Qld when he was 7 and went on to captain Qld with a hell of a lot of passion.
No. It doesn't work.

It worked in the 80s when it was the state you were born was the state you played for.

I stopped caring about Origin when Lam was allowed to play for Queensland, so using that analogy is red rag to a bull stuff.

No. It doesn't work.

It worked in the 80s when it was the state you were born was the state you played for.

I stopped caring about Origin when Lam was allowed to play for Queensland, so using that analogy is red rag to a bull stuff.

That's fine ... as long as the bull knows he isn't the only football supporter out there and that other supporters aren't always going to share his opinion.

If they have passion for their state and aren't merely playing to experience Origin, all good for mine. Plenty of Qlders born here, moved when they were little and have no particular affinity for the state. Yet the physical location they were in when they popped out, a event they had no control over is supposed to be the only factor in where you play your rep football? Yeah, there's room for discussion for some.

I don't care how they do it. I just know I don't particularly want anybody playing for Qld that is only doing so for the prestige rather than state pride. It's what the Qld Origin side has been built on.

So you'll be looking forward to next year when in all likelihood Korbin Sims makes his Origin debut ?
The same Korbin Sims who was born in Gerringong N.S.W and played for Gerringong until 2007 when at 15 he was signed by Brisbane with a contract beginning in 2008 ?
Once Anthony Griffin (who was working for the QRL as a development officer as well as Bronco's assistant coach) had got Sims' signature, he advised the Group 7 officials and Mick Cronin (Gerringong coach) that if Korbin Sims played first grade for Gerringong, or represented Group 7 Under 16's (either of which would make him instantly eligible for N.S.W under Origin rules), the QRL would sue Group 7 and Gerringong for, and I quote:

"So much,Cronin will have to sell his pub"

That's the Queensland spirit right there.
Korbin Sims, who is as N.S.W as the Harbour Bridge, is shattered that he has no choice but to play for Queensland.
So much so, he was considering making himself unavailable when considered for game II this year.
Try asking the Sims family, the town of Gerringong, or even the Group 7 officials what they think of Origin eligibility rules.
Queensland spirit and pride my arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back