Competitions 2015 Supercoach and Dreamteam Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's around that time of year again where people come onto our board and ask questions on who they should take in supercoach or dreamteam. Hopefully our resident experts are able to help all you guys out. I have a few questions myself:

1. With only 1 reserve ruck next season, should I use it on a low-priced player who might not get games (Peter Wright) or a mid-priced gem who could be a good 80-100 scorer (Tom Bellchambers)?
2. I always struggle with my back line, which sort of players should I target there? Running HB's? Ones that will probably play midfield?

1. A cheap rookie R/F at R3 linking with a Belcho or similar at F4-6 for cover is popular, for good reason. Though I'm tempted to risk going in with minimal ruck cover (R Lobb for now) and two durable set-and-forget rucks.

2. Yep. Backs are diabolical this year. Brodie Smith should be a good bet (may be playing more on the wing), Hibberd, K. Simpson, then midpricers, which could be a crapshoot. Newnes might improve, Beau Waters is a bargain but extremely fragile, maybe Vlastuin. But hopefully you won't have to resort to that, when/if more rookies pop up. Keep an eye on who takes Malceski's role (hopefully not McVeigh, who is mid only). It's probably not going to be worth spending megabucks on defenders if you don't absolutely have to.

It's around that time of year again where people come onto our board and ask questions on who they should take in supercoach or dreamteam. Hopefully our resident experts are able to help all you guys out. I have a few questions myself:

1. With only 1 reserve ruck next season, should I use it on a low-priced player who might not get games (Peter Wright) or a mid-priced gem who could be a good 80-100 scorer (Tom Bellchambers)?
2. I always struggle with my back line, which sort of players should I target there? Running HB's? Ones that will probably play midfield?
1. I've gone two topline ruckman (Jacobs and Kreuzer) with Mason Cox (RUC/FWD) as the ruck reserve. I also have Ryder up forward so if needed I can swap Ryder and Cox and play a FWD reserve ahead of Cox.

2. Probably the worst year for defenders in the 5 years I've played.

1. I've gone two topline ruckman (Jacobs and Kreuzer) with Mason Cox (RUC/FWD) as the ruck reserve. I also have Ryder up forward so if needed I can swap Ryder and Cox and play a FWD reserve ahead of Cox.

2. Probably the worst year for defenders in the 5 years I've played.
Ryder does tempt me. He won't be popular, being second fiddle to Lobbe, but his best year SC wise (105) had him in the same role (probably rucked a little more though).

Kreuzer looks like spending a fair bit of time forward this year (at least according to Mick). Might have to have a good look during NAB.

1. I'm thinking of starting with Natanui and Kreuzer as my rucks with the plan of turning the latter into Goldstein post byes. As for the reserve ruckman, I plan to play a rookie and take the risk of getting a 0 rather than waste 200k on a bench player. There's some value in having a Ryder/Bellchambers/Lycett up forward and Mason Cox as your reserve ruckman, however I don't see any of them averaging above 95 which would be losing you points as your R2/F6.

2. Defenders this year are absolute rubbish, the only one I have locked in is Beau Waters at 267k. Others on my watchlist are B.Smith, H.Shaw, A.Walker, M.Hibberd, G.Birchall, J.Newnes, S.Savage, G.Ibbotson and N.Malceski

My defenders at the moment: N.Malceski, M.Hibberd, J.Newnes, B.Waters, H.Goddard, D.McKenzie (D.Viojo-Rainbow, H.Wigg)

It really is a s**t year for defenders.

My defenders at the moment: N.Malceski, M.Hibberd, J.Newnes, B.Waters, H.Goddard, D.McKenzie (D.Viojo-Rainbow, H.Wigg)

It really is a s**t year for defenders.
Tentatively:
B. Smith, K. Simpson, J. Newnes, P. Seedsman, B. Waters, Z. Jones, (M. Dick, D. McKenzie). Though that's the first time Hibberd has been out of my team. Lots of ifs!

I have been trying to avoid the SuperCoach hype as it is such a massive use of my time. But * it I am really keen to start drafting my team.

I am going for differentiation this year. Everyone seems to have the same combo of 35-40 players at the start of the year. I will be purposely taking 3-5 players that don't fit this mould in order to give me a real chance at the overall win.

IMO if you play it safe you are guaranteed a good overall result, but have no chance of winning.

B.Smith, H.Shaw, M.Hibberd, B.Waters, D.Mckenzie, N.Brown, H.Goddard, D.Viojo Rainbow is mine. Other rookies that are on my watchlist are B.Maynard, S.Edwards, H.Wigg, J.Kolodashnij, M. Scharanberg (mid season),

I have been trying to avoid the SuperCoach hype as it is such a massive use of my time. But **** it I am really keen to start drafting my team.

I am going for differentiation this year. Everyone seems to have the same combo of 35-40 players at the start of the year. I will be purposely taking 3-5 players that don't fit this mould in order to give me a real chance at the overall win.

IMO if you play it safe you are guaranteed a good overall result, but have no chance of winning.
Like the risky thinking, may I suggest Brad Crouch?

I have been trying to avoid the SuperCoach hype as it is such a massive use of my time. But **** it I am really keen to start drafting my team.

Me too. I can't resist though. :(

This could be a good year to throw out the rulebook. Lots of tempting midpricers (T. Mitchell, Bont, Waters, Caddy, Neale, several rucks) and high-priced rookies that people will hopefully ignore. :thumbsu:

Me too. I can't resist though. :(

This could be a good year to throw out the rulebook. Lots of tempting midpricers (T. Mitchell, Bont, Waters, Caddy, Neale, several rucks) and high-priced rookies that people will hopefully ignore. :thumbsu:

just started my plans and the backline is an absolute lottery. Could be a very open year this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$484k, $319k, $384k, $491k.

Hibberd's a reasonable pick, but the others are awkwardly priced, unless you think a breakout is imminent.

Daniher will be in my team,
Unfortunately I still don't trust hibbo's hammy enough to give him a berth and he will be a pretty popular pick so in the very sad event he does get injured, I may have dodged a bullet

In terms of Essendon personnel, what are the prices on Zaka, Daniher, Carlisle and Hibberd?
Don't touch Carlisle. Maybe only Zaka or Daniher if you expect him to become elite this year, but otherwise keep away from them too. Took a similar punt on Ryan Bastinac in 2013, and that turned out to be the only year he averaged over 90 so back your gut feel I guess!

$484k, $319k, $384k, $491k.

Hibberd's a reasonable pick, but the others are awkwardly priced, unless you think a breakout is imminent.
Daniher and Heppell will be my Essendon picks then. Bellchambers as well probably.

Daniher will be in my team,
Unfortunately I still don't trust hibbo's hammy enough to give him a berth and he will be a pretty popular pick so in the very sad event he does get injured, I may have dodged a bullet
Hopefully dropping those couple of kilos helps.

JD should make a decent jump this year, hard to see him being a keeper though, so he might be stuck in the middle for me.

Don't want to get on Daniher. He might be looking Coleman-esque in training, but he's still probably going to have inconsistancy, he's only what, 21 next year?

Not a gamble I'm willing to take.

One of the hardest things to do in supercoach is put away prior alligiances. When Jeremy Cameron had his breakout year and kicked 60 odd goals he still only averaged 72, which is about 30 points below what you want for your F6. Zaka is a touch too uncontested for supercoach so I'd look for other options there. The Essendon players I consider to be supercoach relevant are Hibberd, Watson, Heppell and Goddard

One of the hardest things to do in supercoach is put away prior alligiances. When Jeremy Cameron had his breakout year and kicked 60 odd goals he still only averaged 72, which is about 30 points below what you want for your F6. Zaka is a touch too uncontested for supercoach so I'd look for other options there. The Essendon players I consider to be supercoach relevant are Hibberd, Watson, Heppell and Goddard

Jeremy Cameron's problem was the scaling in SuperCoach. Points are weighted heavily to when the game is won. In the first quarter of it's a blow out or in the final quarter if the scores are close. Because gws were getting pumped most of the time his scores were negatively affected.

Jeremy Cameron's problem was the scaling in SuperCoach. Points are weighted heavily to when the game is won. In the first quarter of it's a blow out or in the final quarter if the scores are close. Because gws were getting pumped most of the time his scores were negatively affected.
I expect Daniher to get around 40 goals, so the advantage he gains if he kicks them in clutch moments is countered by Cameron scoring 20 more. I would be very surprised if Daniher averaged more than 72.

I expect Daniher to get around 40 goals, so the advantage he gains if he kicks them in clutch moments is countered by Cameron scoring 20 more. I would be very surprised if Daniher averaged more than 72.
Yeah that's fair enough.
I'm a little more optimistic. I think Essendon will be placing a heavier emphasis on attack and I think we will score a lot more goals than last year. I'm backing joe to kick 60+

Something to be aware of this year in SC is that they have changed the way they now weight the points allocated for those match winning goals, where it was once 50 + points for that match winner they are now not weighting it so much. Champion data have now scaled those points back to 25+ so no more wild swings to scores after the game has finished.

liking the def lottery this year, finally a place to make gains with ballsy moves.

hibbo will be my sole premo, ill be taking smith, and newnes as the midfield movers, mayes as another breakout candidate and whitcross as the inj returner. Im also taking grimes, he is well underpriced. He cant go any worse so i dont see any risk but he sure can do alot better, without the captancy who knows? I guess every defender is a risk this year so hes one im happy to make with a decent history behind him.

Hibberd Smith Newnes Grimes Mayes Whitecross

on the bench, pre season pending im looking at McKenzie, Wigg and McGuiness to see whos more likley to get games.

Im dead keen on Crouch and Greene in the middle too.

fwiw this is rdt, not sc.

im passing on goddard, i can see him regressing slightly - too many other good fwd options

Remove this Banner Ad

Back