Position 2015 SuperCoach defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realise there was such a position in Australian Football. Does he stand between centre half back and centre?
No such position but as they call the game on telly they have called eski,Hurn QB types.
And this year you hear yardage more often:rolleyes: also head species the other nighto_O.

The guy the coach uses to set up the plays from the backline and the guy that they give the ball too to start moving it.

Surely you have come across that term before, its pretty much what every top mid that was pushed back since McLeod becomes.
The rebound defender? He doesn't really "set up plays" considering our game isn't one based exclusively on set plays and set pieces nor is his job to get things going at a stoppage. Not having a go at you just the term is bullshit american crap from a wholly inferior game infesting our game. Why not use the term "point guard" or "playmaker" if we're borrowing from other sports?

No such position but as they call the game on telly they have called eski,Hurn QB types.
And this year you hear yardage more often:rolleyes: also head species the other nighto_O.
Yardage? So a footy ground is measured in yards now? Why not furlongs or fathoms or nautical miles?

The rebound defender? He doesn't really "set up plays" considering our game isn't one based exclusively on set plays and set pieces nor is his job to get things going at a stoppage. Not having a go at you just the term is bullshit american crap from a wholly inferior game infesting our game. Why not use the term "point guard" or "playmaker" if we're borrowing from other sports?

For me the term referred to any back flanker who is good at setting up attacks from defense with quality ball skills and decision making

Didn't realise there was such a position in Australian Football. Does he stand between centre half back and centre?
He plays in the backline for one quarter a match. Hence, quarterback.

If he plays in the backline for two quarters a game he's a halfback.

If he plays in the backline for the whole match he's a fullback.

He plays in the backline for one quarter a match. Hence, quarterback.

If he plays in the backline for two quarters a game he's a halfback.

If he plays in the backline for the whole match he's a fullback.
...and if they make you angry with every time you hear them mentioned on the radio, they're Nickelback.

"Quarterback has the ball, he's got time, darts it towards Cloke who strides out and catches the ball. He's about 65 furlongs from goal. He strikes the ball....a hail mary!! Ohhhh it hits the post!! BUT Sidebottom headers it back in G O O O L L L L L L L L!!!!!

That again is a position in another sport (soccer) and not Australian Football and in that position the defender "sweeps" loose balls behind the defensive line, not close to what a rebounding defender does.

Rebounding defenders are usually back pockets or half back flankers, "quarter" back describes the positioning of one of the offensive players in an american football formation relative to the other "backs", it has no meaning in Aussie Rules nor should it be used in Aussie Rules as it cheapens our game. American football is rubbish, we don't need to borrow its terms (yardage, quarterback etc.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Quarterback has the ball, he's got time, darts it towards Cloke who strides out and catches the ball. He's about 65 furlongs from goal. He strikes the ball....a hail mary!! Ohhhh it hits the post!! BUT Sidebottom headers it back in G O O O L L L L L L L L!!!!!
65 furlongs would equal around 13 kilometers :)

You typed QB and no one knew what you were talking about, someone guessed it. Typing Rebounding Defender and people know what it means.

I would be surprised if half the people on this board didn't know what that meant. Just because you dont understand it doesn't mean no one else will.

But to be sure you know whats going on, next time ill specify 'Rebounding Defender'. God forbid people have to think too hard.

I would be surprised if half the people on this board didn't know what that meant. Just because you dont understand it doesn't mean no one else will.

But to be sure you know whats going on, next time ill specify 'Rebounding Defender'. God forbid people have to think too hard.
It's not about "thinking too hard", it is about using the approproiate nomenclature. You wouldn't expect to go to a physics lecture expecting to hear about alchemy. And yes I admit this is entirely off topic and it's my fault and I apologise, you're one of the better posters here and I sabotaged a perfectly good point you were making.

Outside of what Catholics do, I don't know what that means either.
'Hail Mary': when the QB throws the ball as far and hard as he can towards the end zone.

It's not about "thinking too hard", it is about using the approproiate nomenclature. You wouldn't expect to go to a physics lecture expecting to hear about alchemy.

The terms like Sweeper and Quarter Back are indicative of the role the player is in rather than their position on the field.

Utilising terminology from other sports to better qualify a particular role isn't exactly an unusual thing.

Call it slang or informal, but there isn't anything wrong with borrowing from other sports in order to more precisley designate a role.

It's not about "thinking too hard", it is about using the approproiate nomenclature. You wouldn't expect to go to a physics lecture expecting to hear about alchemy. And yes I admit this is entirely off topic and it's my fault and I apologise, you're one of the better posters here and I sabotaged a perfectly good point you were making.

Nomenclature. Alchemy.

Ozzie, you are the Sam Kekovich of BF. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back