Position 2015 SuperCoach defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AS a few have mentioned, there is some value amongst 400-450k, if you would be content that they wont be 'superstar' scorers.

Roberton had a good stint running off the HB line for the Saints in '13, before having to be played as a tall defender later in that year with Saints injuries & depth being tested.

Last year he was struggling to run from an ankle injury, from what I've been led to believe, so didn't play much and when he did, didn't score well & didn't look confident.

He's not currently an automatic selection in our best 22, but keep an eye on what we do in NAB with him, if he gets his form back (no injury concerns ATM from what I read) and they play him off the HB line (not as a shut down defender), he could go ok.

At best though, I reckon he's only an 80-90 scorer.
Given he's priced at 267k i'd take 80-90.
I read an article a few weeks ago (either HUN or AFL.com I think) that said he had concentrated on bulking up in order to be more effective on KPF's. Also said he was healthy, which is good news.

Both Scotty Thompson and Harry Taylor both priced about the same both could be value picks.But you'd only have one if you were going to take on one of these guys.
Read somewhere Harry was seeing a running coach in the pre-season unsure of a role change.But these guys are KPP players and scores will be up and down.

If Taylor gets freed up a bit, then he will do very well. In games where he was able to play a little looser and help move the ball out of the backline, he always scored well. If he can get into a role where he is able to get 20 touches a game, he will highly valuable.

I am almost certain that one of Blicavs or Stanley will end up down back in a lock down role, or at least be trialed there. If that happens they can take the second best forward (first going to Lonergan) and Taylor can play loose.

Would need to watch closley because if that did happen, it would have an effect on Mackie and Enrights scoring.

Both Scotty Thompson and Harry Taylor both priced about the same both could be value picks.But you'd only have one if you were going to take on one of these guys.
Read somewhere Harry was seeing a running coach in the pre-season unsure of a role change.But these guys are KPP players and scores will be up and down.
I think SDT's role depends a lot on other NM players. If, say, Tippett ends up getting games that will free him up for more of a rebounding role, which would be the club's preferred setup. OTOH, if Grima's hurt and Tippett doesn't come on, he'll be back to more traditional FB duties.

Watch NAB, but not necessarily SDT himself.

Wouldn't go anywhere near Scott D.
Harry Taylor on the other hand served me very well last year.
Bought him in as a D7 at 368k, allowing me so swing any of the Def/Mid boys into the middle when a bit of carnage struck.
Taylor went on to post scores of 129, 108, 125, 98, 127 and 132. Then was moved to the bench when my mids were all playing for the last 2 rounds where he was abysmal scoring 59 and 42.

Wouldn't go anywhere near Scott D.
Harry Taylor on the other hand served me very well last year.
Bought him in as a D7 at 368k, allowing me so swing any of the Def/Mid boys into the middle when a bit of carnage struck.
Taylor went on to post scores of 129, 108, 125, 98, 127 and 132. Then was moved to the bench when my mids were all playing for the last 2 rounds where he was abysmal scoring 59 and 42.
He was really good for those 5 weeks I still think he will av around 90 ish.If he drops down in price he will good pick up for D6/7.

Beat me to it ;)
Someone asked Roberton himself at our open training and despite him bulking up he still thinks that he will focus on his running and endurance come game day and thats what the coaches believe as well. Bulking up hasnt hurt this side of his game with some PBs being broken in the 2k

View attachment 102928
Defenders hard to pick, no clear guys that you can see will come out and smash it, think my first 3 are all consistent reliable guys, Newnes the one who looks like he could jump into premo category and Waters still a lock for me if he runs out round 1.
What do you base this on bananatigz ??

What do you base this on bananatigz ??
Most things.
Been increasing his average every year.
Been eating timetrials for breakfast.
Is at the stage of his development that should see him really break out.
He is a player that should be increasing their average and is less of a risk because of that.
The only thing that has popped up is a fan asking him where he sees himself playing at the open day and he said he should be getting a bit more mid time but mainly sticking with his halfbackline work from last season.
Very low risk that he wont make up at least 10pts per game which should see him up there in the top 10 defenders.

Most things.
He is a player that should be increasing their average and is less of a risk because of that.
The only thing that has popped up is a fan asking him where he sees himself playing at the open day and he said he should be getting a bit more mid time but mainly sticking with his halfbackline work from last season.
Very low risk that he wont make up at least 10pts per game which should see him up there in the top 10 defenders.

Jiska this sums it up pretty well. Most of my family are saint supporters so hear a lot of pre-season updates about them, from what I have heard he has worked really hard on his fitness to get his tank up to scratch for more mid time, and is training predominately in the midfield group. Midfield time increased by about 50% last season and most saints supporters seem to think that will go up once again. More than anything he's just always struck me as someone who would develop into a pretty good player. Still not locked in at this stage by any means though, still needs a good NAB, and depending on the structure I end up going with might not have room for him.

Most things.
He's average barely moved between 2012 and 2013. Definitely had some good scores last year but had some lousy ones as well. For me, consistency is the key down back. Getting more mid time will arguably cost him points as he'll get a better opponent and, let's be honest, there isn't a lot of help around him. The ball certainly spends more time down back at St Kilda.

Not saying he won't do well, but it's a spectative pick and at that price there are better options IMO at this stage. Just curious as to where all this interest in him has come from as I've seen him pop up a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's average barely moved between 2012 and 2013. Definitely had some good scores last year but had some lousy ones as well. For me, consistency is the key down back. Getting more mid time will arguably cost him points as he'll get a better opponent and, let's be honest, there isn't a lot of help around him. The ball certainly spends more time down back at St Kilda.

Not saying he won't do well, but it's a spectative pick and at that price there are better options IMO at this stage. Just curious as to where all this interest in him has come from as I've seen him pop up a lot.

Completely disagree with this. There is no way a move into the midfield would ever cost any player points. More time in the middle means more tackles, clearances etc. and naturally more possessions regardless of his opponent. Unless he's being used as a tagger, more mid time will result in more points. Also, Steven, Montagna, Armitage and a few others like Dunstan, Acres, Billings improving will be enough help.

I would be more worried about his average change last year. 23 points. Even if he only increases by half that this year he will average 92 points which I think is worth it. I agree with some of what youre saying. I would like to have seen some consistency before now but he is on an upward curve and he will average in the 90s

I would be more worried about his average change last year. 23 points. Even if he only increases by half that this year he will average 92 points which I think is worth it. I agree with some of what youre saying. I would like to have seen some consistency before now but he is on an upward curve and he will average in the 90s
True. I suppose I've just seen sooo many people burnt in past years with "speculative" picks down back. The only one I can think of from last year that really worked, although I'm sure people will be quick to point out others, was Jaensch. There are more cases of failed speculative picks down back than successful ones. This time last year everyone was talking about Jimmy Webster after his preseason last year and look how that turned out.

Personally I'd rather take a speculative in the midfield. Ibbotson and Waters are better risks down back IMO.

Newnes may well prove me wrong, but at 431k he's very awkwardly priced.

Would R.Henderson and Sam Shaw be going for the one role at the crows?

Henderson like Roberton only had one good Sc year but if injury free they have shown they can get alright numbers.
Shaw more a CHB, Henderson more a tall running halfback. He's a bit like Birchall. Has the height to be a KPP, but not really suited to that role.

Shaw more a CHB, Henderson more a tall running halfback. He's a bit like Birchall. Has the height to be a KPP, but not really suited to that role.
Also Sam Shaw and Andy Otten both wont be available for Round 1. Phil Walsh stated as such in an article, think it may have been AFL site or news.com.au

True. I suppose I've just seen sooo many people burnt in past years with "speculative" picks down back. The only one I can think of from last year that really worked, although I'm sure people will be quick to point out others, was Jaensch. There are more cases of failed speculative picks down back than successful ones. This time last year everyone was talking about Jimmy Webster after his preseason last year and look how that turned out.

Personally I'd rather take a speculative in the midfield. Ibbotson and Waters are better risks down back IMO.

He's no Cam Suttcliffe

The like button is not enough for quotes like this.

Jimmy ****ing Webster

What are people's thoughts on Corey Enright?

He is past his prime no doubt, but with a lack of decent premos would a bloke who averages 90 at 478k be worth a go?

The defence is doing my head in!

I won't be starting with him this year (unless he blitzes the NAB games, of course!). Almost certain to be his last year, and I think he started showing a few (small) signs of his age catching up to him in 2014. I'd also expect him to be rested a few times throughout the year.

I think he will average 85 - 90, which isn't too bad for this years defenders, but I don't think he will be in the top 15 defenders for total points.

Enright burnt me last year, stay away. I do not trust Geelong with their old blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back