Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
Brodie Grundy, thoughts?? Only avg 62 last year but expecting him to hold down the pies #1 ruck all year and have faith that he can push that up to 85 which is all i need for R2.

Has never scored 85 in a game.

wouldn't touch him, gets soundly beaten in the taps and doesn't do anything up forward at all.

Find another $60k and go Giles.

Last edited:
Has never scored 85 in a game.

wouldn't touch him, gets soundly beaten in the taps and doesn't do anything up forward at all.

Find another $60k and go Giles.
it's because he shares the ruck duties with a better ruckman
no way am I for Grundy, but if 1 of Grundy or Witts go solo and take the no1 ruck spot, they could go 85+

David Szabo

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC.....YNWA !
Over Zac Smith...really?

This was on the GC website today:
Ruck department fully stocked
It may only be March, but the fact there is a full collection of fit ruckmen in Carrara is no mean feat. In recent seasons, injuries have ravaged this department, with Tom Nicholls and Zac Smith enduring more than their fair share of hardship. The pair has fought for the No. 1 ruck mantle throughout the summer and the competition has been highly beneficial for them. With no Tom Lynch or Charlie Dixon available for round one, it appears likely that the duo will be included in the same 22. And this is something Rodney Eade has said he may continue throughout the season. Along with Nicholls and Smith, mature-aged rookie Keegan Brooksby played in the opening two NAB Challenge matches and didn’t look overawed by the step up in intensity from the SANFL. After a barren couple of seasons, the ruck department in Carrara has rarely looked healthier.

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Are those starting Read picking him purely as a VC loophole option or do they have a R/F DPP in their forward line so they can switch them into the ruck if one of their ruck man misses games. Does he have any chance of getting a game? I'm tossing up whether to start with Read or to go with someone like O'brien/Naismith and hope they get a game down the track

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
If tippet misses rd1 will.Naismith play?
Thuggee_Cult
Sorry for delay toxic, just tucking into a singha while the wife and daughter are in the pool here in sunny Phuket but I have to say, Thailand was much more fun when I was there as a single lad :)

Have I missed anything since last Friday ?

Onto your question, I reckon Naisimith is a rough chance to play whether Tippet plays or not as I still think Longmire is interested in the two ruck set up. If Tippett is out I wouldn't rule out Nankervis either but both would have shaky JS. I'm waiting for the teams ...

Interesting snippet I read re Minson.....

What if I told you that Minson's record without Griffen is almost as bad over the past 3 years as Liberatore's record without Griffen. Is that something that you might be interested in?
Over the past 3 years, without Griffen, Liberatore averaged 88.2 compared to 101.3 in all games. Minson averaged 90.9 compared to 101.3 in all games.
In addition, the change to the ruck rules will result in a drop of 8.1 points per game if Minson's ruck statistics match last year's.
Add to this the absence of Liberatore and it's unclear who Minson will actually be able to hit the ball to to get a hitout to advantage,
I would select Nicnat, despite recent health concerns, average 120.1 in the 5 games Cox missed last year.

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
I decided long ago that this is the year to pay for top quality in the rucks so I'll be going ...
R1 Jacobs
R2 Goldstein
R3 Preuss (NM $108,400)

The reasons are as follows. In the second half of last season these two players returned an average score that would have put them right among the lower half of the top 10 midfield players and put them well ahead of the next best ruckman. Jacobs had a hitout to advantage % last season that was almost exactly the one required to offset the new rule. Goldstein played with a damaged shoulder for several weeks at the start of the season which greatly reduced his average last year and his price this year, making him good value even at his high price. Being at such a high price it means that if one of them goes wrong he can most likely be traded to another ruckman with just a single trade and giving some extra cash whereas if something goes wrong with a cheap ruckman you have the problem of trying to find the extra cash to replace him ... possibly even requiring a second trade. They are both very resilient making it less likely they will have to be replaced. This makes it safer to go without ruck cover and takes away the temptation to include a fwd/ruck dpp I don't really want.

I've chosen Preuss as the R3 because I'm not going with ruck cover and, for the loophole, he gives me the best possible selection of VCs in the 10 rounds prior to the bye. He will allow me a choice of Pendlebury or Selwood in 3 of those rounds, Pendlbury in another 3 rounds, Selwood in another 2 rounds, and a choice of several other good premiums in another round. The only problem is round 7 where North have the Friday night game. I might have to go without the loophole that week, make Pendles captain and trust him not to put in a bad one. Not sure he ever does that anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
AFL Club
West Coast
I decided long ago that this is the year to pay for top quality in the rucks so I'll be going ...
R1 Jacobs
R2 Goldstein
R3 Preuss (NM $108,400)

The reasons are as follows. In the second half of last season these two players returned an average score that would have put them right among the lower half of the top 10 midfield players and put them well ahead of the next best ruckman. Jacobs had a hitout to advantage % last season that was almost exactly the one required to offset the new rule. Goldstein played with a damaged shoulder for several weeks at the start of the season which greatly reduced his average last year and his price this year, making him good value even at his high price. Being at such a high price it means that if one of them goes wrong he can most likely be traded to another ruckman with just a single trade and giving some extra cash whereas if something goes wrong with a cheap ruckman you have the problem of trying to find the extra cash to replace him ... possibly even requiring a second trade. They are both very resilient making it less likely they will have to be replaced. This makes it safer to go without ruck cover and takes away the temptation to include a fwd/ruck dpp I don't really want.

I've chosen Preuss as the R3 because I'm not going with ruck cover and, for the loophole, he gives me the best possible selection of VCs in the 10 rounds prior to the bye. He will allow me a choice of Pendlebury or Selwood in 3 of those rounds, Pendlbury in another 3 rounds, Selwood in another 2 rounds, and a choice of several other good premiums in another round. The only problem is round 7 where North have the Friday night game. I might have to go without the loophole that week, make Pendles captain and trust him not to put in a bad one. Not sure he ever does that anyway.
Dude, you think about this toooo much!!!! :p:D

Also, I have just watched Cockatoos goal highlight on the AFL website, and he's just made my team!! :eek:

RichoAtzyG

Senior List
Apr 7, 2012
Bendigo
AFL Club
Richmond
Onto your question, I reckon Naisimith is a rough chance to play whether Tippet plays or not as I still think Longmire is interested in the two ruck set up. If Tippett is out I wouldn't rule out Nankervis either but both would have shaky JS. I'm waiting for the teams ...
Just out of curiosity, why has dericx been left out of consideration? Is he still injured?

The haughtiness is justified though, we're not part of the SCE circle jerk so we're just peasants deserving of disdain.
I think many of you in here need to have a good look at yourselves. This forum is fast becoming an incestuous bullying hive of activity that seems to have a massive chip on their shoulder about something.

SCE frequent this board often and provide good advice. They don't go around belittling others or banging their own drum just providing advice to those that seek it. Often, like above, people refuse to listen as they have made up their own opinions which is fine, but usually refuse to look at the facts rather ignore them.

The real reason I imagine that many SCE coaches don't venture in here is because they are usually targeted for some perceived arrogance or superiority which certainly isn't portrayed on our part. I like posting on this forum, as do many, but if we are going to be attacked for simply having our own forum, not unlike what some on here have set up this year, posters will visit less and less.

Broar

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think many of you in here need to have a good look at yourselves. This forum is fast becoming an incestuous bullying hive of activity that seems to have a massive chip on their shoulder about something.

SCE frequent this board often and provide good advice. They don't go around belittling others or banging their own drum just providing advice to those that seek it. Often, like above, people refuse to listen as they have made up their own opinions which is fine, but usually refuse to look at the facts rather ignore them.

The real reason I imagine that many SCE coaches don't venture in here is because they are usually targeted for some perceived arrogance or superiority which certainly isn't portrayed on our part. I like posting on this forum, as do many, but if we are going to be attacked for simply having our own forum, not unlike what some on here have set up this year, posters will visit less and less.
When your only post in a discussion is calling people ignorant I'm not surprised people perceive you (and in another instances others) as arrogant. :rolleyes:

When your only post in a discussion is calling people ignorant I'm not surprised people perceive you (and in another instances others) as arrogant. :rolleyes:
Probably justified - but like I said, if people aren't going to listen to advice based on factual information (wasn't provided by me) than to me that's ignorant of them. If pointing that out is arrogance than I can live with that also.

We all see players differently and form our own opinions due to a number of reasons. If there is to be a minimum post count before calling someone ignorant, than I am guilty as charged.

Interesting snippet I read re Minson.....

What if I told you that Minson's record without Griffen is almost as bad over the past 3 years as Liberatore's record without Griffen. Is that something that you might be interested in?
Over the past 3 years, without Griffen, Liberatore averaged 88.2 compared to 101.3 in all games. Minson averaged 90.9 compared to 101.3 in all games.
In addition, the change to the ruck rules will result in a drop of 8.1 points per game if Minson's ruck statistics match last year's.
Add to this the absence of Liberatore and it's unclear who Minson will actually be able to hit the ball to to get a hitout to advantage,
I would select Nicnat, despite recent health concerns, average 120.1 in the 5 games Cox missed last year.
Why you do this to me :(

Keno1991

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Currently have Phillips at r3 to cover Mummy if he goes down for 1-3 weeks for whatever reason he does, can I get confirmation Phillips will indeed be the man that comes in

Remon Tea

All Australian
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm too lazy to do proper research, so is he likely to play games with Kruezer out? I ended up with him in my draft team

I think he'll play a few games. Personally, I'd play him before Warnock because he offers a lot more around the ground.
Really not sure when Kreuzer will play this year.

He's in my draft team too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back