2nds 2015 Swans Reserves player review

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm writing a few short words and summary of the Reserves 2015 season.

First up is Harry Marsh

GrMifuI.png

GcWmlOn.png

lRt9QeR.png

Last edited:

grimlock

Not to give too much away of your reviews, but which regular reserves player (who perhaps played some senior football this year) do you have the most faith in? In terms of being able to step up to play senior football regularly over the next year or two as well as long term.

And conversely, which player, if any, do you believe has zero chance of being capable of playing consistent seniors? Be it because of their ability or the competition ahead of them. Deduct Tom Derickx from this calculation please.

I think the man I just reviewed probably sits on top of that list. I've watched not just from his first year as a rookie, but previous to that when he was a semi-regular topup. The improvement he has made year after year is reminiscent of the progression of Kieren Jack in his early rookie years. I'm not saying he will be as good as Kieren, in fact I think he lacks the flair of Jack, but I firmly believe he can forge a place in the team as a more athletic and skilled version of Craig Bird.

I also hold great hopes for Abe Davis, but he's still very raw and I don't know (and I'm not sure if the Swans do either) where his eventual position will be.

Based purely on performances alone it would have to be McLaren, some of his games towards the back half of the year were really terrible. But I understand he played key defence and ruck as a junior and has little experience as a key forward. So for him to be our focal point in attack (in the 2nd half of the year we lost Naismith and at times Nankervis/Derickx due to seniors and/or injury) during that period and attracting the best key defender was probably asking too much for him. I'd like to see how he goes in defence first before casting him aside.

In terms of competition, I think it would certainly have to be the man in my avatar. They've pigeonholed him as a 2nd ruck/forward and the guy that's holding that spot is Tippett. So realistically he will only play if Tippett if injured/suspended and even then that's not a guarantee. When all 3 of Naismith, Derickx and Nankervis were fit, he got the butt end of the ruck time but in the games he played as a lone ruckman, he put up some big numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, do you agree with that?
Pretty much

We've never really developed a key defender in the reserves in the last 10 years. Grundy played forward during his reserves time and Alex Johnson didn't play an official reserves game before he debuted.

Outstanding Grime.
Looking forward to your Nankervis natter. Once this lad builds his tank we will have finally found one baring any potholes, Fu feels.

Outstanding Grime.
Looking forward to your Nankervis natter. Once this lad builds his tank we will have finally found one baring any potholes, Fu feels.
Thanks fubar.

Unfortunately Nank will be some time away.

Very fair review, he has shown a bit, but at 25 you have to wonder how much scope he has for improvement.

Last edited:
What's your view on Alir, any chance or a long way off?

Also Hislop? Seemed to favour one side too much and lacked some footy nous but can he kick on with another preseason? Cheers

What's your view on Alir, any chance or a long way off?

Also Hislop? Seemed to favour one side too much and lacked some footy nous but can he kick on with another preseason? Cheers

Aliir will be up soon but I also wrote some thoughts in response to s120

By Hislop I assume you mean Hiscox?

Very fair review, he has shown a bit, but at 25 you have to wonder how much scope he has for improvement.

Yeah we sort of assume at 25 you are peaking or close to peaking , maybe sometimes people differ to the norm i guess, not saying he will though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back