2nds 2015 Swans Reserves player review

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's word is B-B-B-Bird

jfIqJob.png

YWkRpoC.png

fmite7X.png

Yeah it's been a sudden fall from grace for a player who I still thought was an important part of our midfield at the beginning of the year. Having said that, he did his job for us and he might be good for the Lions if he does end up going there, even though he won't win that elusive Brownlow ;)

Hi Grim. What are your thoughts on both Melican and McLaren? I suspect that we brought them in as back-ups in case neither XR nor AA developed into the key backs that we were hoping for. However, they (esp. McLaren) haven't been playing in the back line that much have they? They're only very young. Are they showing potential? Does McLaren have the ability to play as a swingman?

Hi Grim. What are your thoughts on both Melican and McLaren? I suspect that we brought them in as back-ups in case neither XR nor AA developed into the key backs that we were hoping for. However, they (esp. McLaren) haven't been playing in the back line that much have they? They're only very young. Are they showing potential? Does McLaren have the ability to play as a swingman?
All will be revealed in good time, young Lakey.

I saw Foote walking around the SCG on game day a few times and he's a much bigger guy in person than I expected him to be. A really impressively built guy.

If Harry Marsh is delisted as most of us expect and Foote is retained on the rookie list, do you think the coaches would be better to play him as the new Marsh in the 2's (playing on the best medium/small forwards) and developing in the hope that he can become a genuine AFL defender or trying to develop him further as the midfield behind all of the other midfielders we have and hope a miracle happens?

He's solidly built but I think he's a little short to be the new Marsh (cue swansfan51 joke about being the new new JPK). Also he doesn't have the pace that Marsh possesses that helps Marsh get to defensive contests as the third man in. He would have to be a genuine small defender but there aren't many chances to practice that role in the NEAFL. Nick Smith, albeit in the even worse AFL Canberra, played predominantly as a midfielder in his reserves time.

Definitely can't see him making it as an inside midfielder with us.

Do you have info that makes you confident Brandon will be given another contract? If he does get another one, it'd surely be a one-year deal.

He certainly improved his seniors performances this year but his penchant for burning teammates near goal and spotty decision making under pressure really hampers his chances at locking a spot down. He seems to have an endless amount of self-confidence (just my impression) which could be a blessing or curse I guess but if he is given one last chance on our list, that might come in handy.

All that said, he tackles and gives effort like a demon and maybe one more enormous preseason will do the trick. There are certainly opportunities in the forward line to be taken for a young guy who wants it badly enough.

1. I love Brandon Jack but he is NOT my favourite BJ!

2. The idea that Brandon Jack would be delisted or traded doesn't bear consideration. Even if you rate McGlynn ahead of him, McGlynn is so injury prone you'd need him as back up in any event.

I fully expect 23 games from BJ next year and a Top 10 B&F finish.

1. I love Brandon Jack but he is NOT my favourite BJ!

2. The idea that Brandon Jack would be delisted or traded doesn't bear consideration. Even if you rate McGlynn ahead of him, McGlynn is so injury prone you'd need him as back up in any event.

I fully expect 23 games from BJ next year and a Top 10 B&F finish.

23 games, top 10 B&F is asking a bit much. I'd love to see him play a lot of games and get some genuine midfield time though. I'm pretty bullish about his prospects there, he's slight but he's strong and he can win clearances. Add some bursting speed and a good kick when he's composed (which admittedly he's struggled with at times) and he could be a handy weapon. Wouldn't mind seeing him in some tagging roles though. I think Kirk might have a very good influence on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think BJ is progressing reasonably well and could well be just as successful as his brother. They've got similar numbers at the same age and Kieran was never hampered by the stupid sub rule in the way BJ has been.

Nah KJ started much slower than BJ. BJ exploded in his first year and played senior football while KJ took at least a couple of years to break through.
Yeah KJ didn't debut until age 20, but the following season played 23 games and never looked back. BJ came in at a time where young players often only receive the last quarter of the game after removing the vest. The fact BJ already has had a few years experience should serve him well and I wouldn't be surprised to see him match KJ's performance for the club.

What position did he play

Played forward.

It is why you never saw him and he never saw the ball.

Good kick too, we managed to beat that abomination to God out of him though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back