Strategy 2015 Tactics and Strategy

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watched it again this arvo as well, and we were monstered in the clearances from the end of the 1st through until about the midway of the 4th.That killed us.Ryder in the ruck will be more then handy as he's a great tap ruckman, his hitouts go to advantage alot more then Lobbe's who is more your give a contest, run the other ruckman into the ground type of ruckman.A lot of little things went wrong that night, Ryder coming into that 22 will be worth another 5 goals I feel.
Remarkable effort in that prelim last quarter when you consider we backed up from the semi in Perth and they had enjoyed a week off.

And yes, the combination of a clearance pantsing for 2.5 quarters, the ineffectiveness of Trengove and Lobbe for much of the match, and the clinical finishing of a bloke called Roughead was our undoing.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Remarkable effort in that prelim last quarter when you consider we backed up from the semi in Perth and they had enjoyed a week off.

And yes, the combination of a clearance pantsing for 2.5 quarters, the ineffectiveness of Trengove and Lobbe for much of the match, and the clinical finishing of a bloke called Roughead was our undoing.

Never surprised with our fitness levels,but that was a herculean effort by the boys, still no rewards for that.Ryder coming in gives us what I felt we lacked that night with the other tall option rather then bombing it long to Neade and Wingard one on two etc.Cannot wait to see Ryder line up for us round 1, hanging for it.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I watched it again this arvo as well, and we were monstered in the clearances from the end of the 1st through until about the midway of the 4th.That killed us.Ryder in the ruck will be more then handy as he's a great tap ruckman, his hitouts go to advantage alot more then Lobbe's who is more your give a contest, run the other ruckman into the ground type of ruckman.A lot of little things went wrong that night, Ryder coming into that 22 will be worth another 5 goals I feel.

Lobbe was so spent by the Prelim. He was still able to ruck but his disposal that day was that of a man who was absolutely shot. Earlier in the season he was able to be effective around the ground but by September he was totally knackered. If we'd have won that day, he'd have had a hard time getting up for the Grand Final.

Porked04

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lobbe was so spent by the Prelim. He was still able to ruck but his disposal that day was that of a man who was absolutely shot. Earlier in the season he was able to be effective around the ground but by September he was totally knackered. If we'd have won that day, he'd have had a hard time getting up for the Grand Final.
Seem to recall Lobster plucking a great mark deep in our 50 last quarter but completely shanked the kick. Apparently the commentary team said it was his first kick of the day, not that he had been playing bad. Poor block simply couldn't do much else other than run to the next ruck contest. Will benefit tenfold from Ryder

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Lobbe was spent during prelim. Ryder now gives us close to the best ruck combination in the league.
I think it is the best mate. Not sure who is better? Would of said Cox/ Naitanui, however with Cox gone, not even close. Ryder is a better ruck than Lobbe, he would be top 5 in the comp. Lobbe be only slightly out of the top 5.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This was posted a while ago by the @championdata twitter:
B3LG6CkCAAAL_WS.png:large

EDIT: Green is offence, red is defence.

It's a little difficult to draw too much information, but the basics are:
1) We like to take our shots on goal deep in the 50, having the lowest % of shots from 50+ m out
2) We concede the least shots in the 15 - 30 m bracket; teams are able to score against us very deep or very far out

The defensive information is probably due to our constant loose man. Teams aren't able to 'bomb' i50 against us and take marks, therefore they need to bypass the loose by kicking to a target on 50, or to a one on one deep in the goal square. I remember getting hurt a few times on the rebound (particularly in our terrible patch 2/3 of the way through the season) where teams would intercept our rebound attempt, and waltz into an open goal, which could account for the positive % of shots in the 0 - 15 m bracket. Interestingly, the two grand finalists were among the worst at conceding shots in the 15 - 30 m bracket, but held them below the AFL average in all other areas.

I'd imagine the introduction of Ryder would only enhance the shot at goal % in the 0 - 30 m brackets as we would have another tall target deep (?) i50 to hit up. At first glance I thought that having the lowest % of set shots from 50+ m out would need correcting, but then thought why bother taking those pot shots when we could hit targets up deeper i50 for a higher % shot on goal (as we tended to do all year).

Last edited:
This was posted a while ago by the @championdata twitter:
B3LG6CkCAAAL_WS.png:large

It's a little difficult to draw too much information, but the basics are:
1) We like to take our shots on goal deep in the 50, having the lowest % of shots from 50+ m out
2) We concede the least shots in the 15 - 30 m bracket; teams are able to score against us very deep or very far out

The defensive information is probably due to our constant loose man. Teams aren't able to 'bomb' i50 against us and take marks, therefore they need to bypass the loose by kicking to a target on 50, or to a one on one deep in the goal square. I remember getting hurt a few times on the rebound (particularly in our terrible patch 2/3 of the way through the season) where teams would intercept our rebound attempt, and waltz into an open goal, which could account for the positive % of shots in the 0 - 15 m bracket. Interestingly, the two grand finalists were among the worst at conceding shots in the 15 - 30 m bracket, but held them below the AFL average in all other areas.

I'd imagine the introduction of Ryder would only enhance the shot at goal % in the 0 - 30 m brackets as we would have another tall target deep (?) i50 to hit up. At first glance I thought that having the lowest % of set shots from 50+ m out would need correcting, but then thought why bother taking those pot shots when we could hit targets up deeper i50 for a higher % shot on goal (as we tended to do all year).

It would really help to understand this if the first thing after you posted the graphic, you wrote:
Red Line = X
Green Line = Y

With out those basic statements its meaningless to try and interpret.

Is the red line defence and the green attack?
Why do you ask me? Wait for the poster to respond. That's why I asked the question for him to answer and not others to guess. Just be patient and wait for Chrizzt to respond.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Paddy Ryder is our wildcard this year... a great acquisition if everything goes to plan. Even though he is the player we have been crying out for he will be cutting a running player from the team. One less midfield rotation is a minor negative to a greater positive.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It would really help to understand this if the first thing after you posted the graphic, you wrote:
Red Line = X
Green Line = Y

With out those basic statements its meaningless to try and interpret.

Haha, whoops. Thought it was posted as part of the graphic.

Red line is defence (conceded), green is offence.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Paddy Ryder is our wildcard this year... a great acquisition if everything goes to plan. Even though he is the player we have been crying out for he will be cutting a running player from the team. One less midfield rotation is a minor negative to a greater positive.
That'd only be if everything else remained equal. Ryder will be covering ground himself. And by having that extra target up forward there'll need to be less streaming forwards of the mids, so they shouldn't need to cover quite as much.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I doubt it will be a top midfielder that makes way for him. Other forwards like Wingard, Monfries, and even Neade in time, can switch into the midfield as well. I do also feel that once Butch was dropped (rightly or wrongly), we never seemed to have a correct balance in the team! Ryder is just that perfect compromise, a mobile running tall who can provide another big target around the ground, fill in as a forward, and share in the ruck.

Last edited:

billy fragos

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt it will be a top midfielder that makes way for him. Other forwards like Wingard, Monfries, and even Neade in time, can switch into the midfield as well. I do also feel that once Butch was dropped (rightly or wrongly), we never seemed to have a correct balance in the team! Ryder is just that perfect compromise, a mobile running tall who can provide another big target around the ground, fill in as a forward, and share in the ruck.
I agree

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
and hopefully further reduce our turnovers coming out of defense with another tall marking option up the ground.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
and hopefully further reduce our turnovers coming out of defense with another tall marking option up the ground.

The way we play we are going to turn the ball over at times, I can live with that as I'd rather see a mistake taking the game on rather then holding back.But agree with your point it should help in that regard.

Back