Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Who's it going to be?

Not every single club plays a tagger every week, but I reckon it's a good role to have in the side. Risky not to have someone you can reliably use to play shut down roles.

Could Grigg re-invent himself in the role? He has the motor and the size, but could use a bit more mongrel probably.

Matt Arnot? Little bit short but loves the contest, is a fierce tackler, big body and has a big motor too.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea of needing a tagger. If a bloke keeps a player to 12 touches but only gets 10 himself he's a waste of a spot on the field in my opinion. I'd prefer to fill our midfield with players that can hurt the opposition with the ball in hand, and if one of them ends up being capable of doing a shut down role at the same time so be it.

Petterd played the role in a few games for us in the second half of the year and was okay, but I wouldn't want to see it happening every week.

I can't even think of five shut-down players competition wide that would deserve a spot in our best 22. Hell I can't even think of 3. Lets spend our resources on players that make us a better team rather than players that try to make the opposition worse (did you ever miss Raines after we gave him to Brisbane?)

I'd definitely look at hunt as an inside mid who can tag if needed. Did quite a good job of it for Geelong and then got injured and Guthrie came in and took his spot, would be worth a punt over a kid at #70 surely unless we have someone specific in mind.

Grigg for me has had a shot and failed more often then not. Yes, I regconise he has had some success in the role early but to often his opponent has got away from him or by stoping a player, he rarely provides any output, so pass. Hunt is an option but I would perfer to use someone that we already have. All we need do is make sure his backs right, and improve his tank but what better way to improve his tank by running with the best.

I would challenge Arnot. Heights not a issue as Baker did a great job and being shorter then his opponent he will at least never give away a head high :p. Arnot is a bull, loves the bash and crash and has a bit of a mouth on him. Give him a decent crack at it imo.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea of needing a tagger. If a bloke keeps a player to 12 touches but only gets 10 himself he's a waste of a spot on the field in my opinion.
if we could have someone that could keep the Abletts, Stevie j, and pendlebury to 10 possies, he basically has won 20 possessions for the team. add 10-15 possessions and its a 30 possession gain. Taggers are VERY important in football and a good tagger can sometimes be instrumental in winning a game of football.
if we can develop a good tagger, our team improves a lot, just look at Freo when Crowley is at his best. Basically he stops their gun, that forces the other on-ballers to focus on him with blocks to try and free up the playmaker, so effectively he is taking 2-3 players out of action at once.

if we could have someone that could keep the Abletts, Stevie j, and pendlebury to 10 possies, he basically has won 20 possessions for the team. add 10-15 possessions and its a 30 possession gain. Taggers are VERY important in football and a good tagger can sometimes be instrumental in winning a game of football.
if we can develop a good tagger, our team improves a lot, just look at Freo when Crowley is at his best. Basically he stops their gun, that forces the other on-ballers to focus on him with blocks to try and free up the playmaker, so effectively he is taking 2-3 players out of action at once.

Pendlebury and Ablett collectively have only had 3 games in the last 3 years where they got less than 20 touches (and in all 3 of those games they got 19 touches, and in one of those games Ablett did his shoulder in the 2nd quarter). There isn't a tagger in the league that can keep them to 10 touches. There's probably only a couple of players that can affect their games at all.

The players you can tag are generally outside runners (Deledio, Stephen Hill, etc) and you can hurt those guys just as badly if you play a dangerous player on them and either make them play accountable football or get burned for not running both ways.

With a few notable exceptions (Crowley and Ling are the only two I can think of), dedicated taggers are just a tool used by teams with deficient midfields to hide their deficiencies. Who tags for Sydney or Hawthorn?

Pendlebury and Ablett collectively have only had 3 games in the last 3 years where they got less than 20 touches (and in all 3 of those games they got 19 touches, and in one of those games Ablett did his shoulder in the 2nd quarter). There isn't a tagger in the league that can keep them to 10 touches. There's probably only a couple of players that can affect their games at all.

The players you can tag are generally outside runners (Deledio, Stephen Hill, etc) and you can hurt those guys just as badly if you play a dangerous player on them and either make them play accountable football or get burned for not running both ways.

With a few notable exceptions (Crowley and Ling are the only two I can think of), dedicated taggers are just a tool used by teams with deficient midfields to hide their deficiencies. Who tags for Sydney or Hawthorn?
Harry Cunningham was given tagging duties a lot this year for Sydney. It was a major reason they won their QF against Freo.

Bit of a waste having Conca as a tagger. He needs to take his game to a new level next year. I would be a fan of bringing in Taylor Hunt as a delisted free agent. He has pace too.
Who does Hunt replace in the best 22 though?? Grigg I suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Robinson - Dickhead off the ground but would make a good negating player that capable of tagging the oppositions best player with the ability to hurt the other way, Has proven that he is hard and tough and he can collect 25 posessions and kick goals.

I believe our leadership combined with the scare he would have gotten from being discarded and his last chance could well just become a better player and settle off field issue's

Woth a look

Shiel for the hawks.
Shiels averages 20+ touches and 5+ tackles a game. He's more than handy even if he isn't sitting on a bloke.

Just to make my position clear - I understand that it is useful for a coach to be able to try and "shut-down" an opposition player for periods of a game, but a player who is only capable of shut down roles (ie Andrew Raines) has no play on our list in my opinion.

Mitch Robinson - Dickhead off the ground but would make a good negating player that capable of tagging the oppositions best player with the ability to hurt the other way, Has proven that he is hard and tough and he can collect 25 posessions and kick goals.

I believe our leadership combined with the scare he would have gotten from being discarded and his last chance could well just become a better player and settle off field issue's

Woth a look
noooo.gif

taggers are slowly being weeded out of the game unless you are very very good and well rounded, as soon as a tagger takes you you go to the fwd line and expose him as a backman, works on crowley all the time.
have a solid mid that works both ways and you are better off, thats why Langford and Guthrie are playing for their sides

I would recruit a kid with awesome size, running ability and speed who is physical in say the 4th round and train him up purely as a tagger. Make it this kids sole purpose in life to become the greatest tagger ever to play the game lol.

Who's it going to be?

Not every single club plays a tagger every week, but I reckon it's a good role to have in the side. Risky not to have someone you can reliably use to play shut down roles.

Could Grigg re-invent himself in the role? He has the motor and the size, but could use a bit more mongrel probably.

Matt Arnot? Little bit short but loves the contest, is a fierce tackler, big body and has a big motor too.

No more negativity, we need to grow and win beating the opposition, not focusing on them stopping us, for us to reach to the top!!

God, no. We already have enough hard at it but athletically limited players who are poor decision makers and poor kicks (Petterd, Morris, Thomas). No role for one who is a sociopathic head case as well.

God, no. We already have enough hard at it but athletically limited players who are poor decision makers and poor kicks (Petterd, Morris, Thomas). No role for one who is a sociopathic head case as well.

Robinson isnt athletically limited !

I would prefer Robinson onfield to Thomas onfield everyday
I would even go as far as to say that he is actually a better footballer offensively than all 3 players you mentioned and 2 of them are starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back