Unofficial Preview 2015 Three-peat??

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be good in 12 months after a three-peat then the Advertiser can just give it away..... LOL at Brownlow Medalists being relevant to this debate
We will revise in 12 months then, until then I'm not willing to discuss hypothetical situations.

We will revise in 12 months then, until then I'm not willing to discuss hypothetical situations.

Currently I think the era's are on about a par... Last 8 years both have 3 flags from 4GFS, both have a Elimination Final loss & Semi Final Loss, Geelong have 2 prelim losses to 1, in which Hawthorn missed the 8. That is evened out by the fact we have a b2b plus have more of the Finals games contested between the 2...

Currently I think the era's are on about a par... Last 8 years both have 3 flags from 4GFS, both have a Elimination Final loss & Semi Final Loss, Geelong have 2 prelim losses to 1, in which Hawthorn missed the 8. That is evened out by the fact we have a b2b plus have more of the Finals games contested between the 2...
Strong argument but I believe Geelong trumps Hawthorn by the fact ours was far more condensed and indisputably a dynasty whereas Hawthorn's may/may not be considered one due to the gap between 2008 and 2014 and the fact there are only 6 or so players who played in both wins.

Strong argument but I believe Geelong trumps Hawthorn by the fact ours was far more condensed and indisputably a dynasty whereas Hawthorn's may/may not be considered one due to the gap between 2008 and 2014 and the fact there are only 6 or so players who played in both wins.

I dont think you can underestimate the back to back feature of our 3 flags.....Its an incredibly big achievement in any sport not just AFL. Plus we have Matty Spangher. Therefore Hawks win.

yeah that also does have merit to it also you didn't have an 2009 type season we did... Both sets of fans should just be delighted that's the reality.

The fact Geelong had more Brownlow medalists, MVPs and AAs in that time counts against the impressiveness of their dynasty imo. We did ours without having the "best" player/s in the comp. Just a champion team.

Also look at who they won their premierships over... 2007 was a one horse race, Port drew the short straw. 2009 they beat perennial failures St Kilda thanks to a missed hit the post decision. 2011 was probably the only legitimate one but Pies were cooked. They couldn't even beat a young, inexperienced Hawthorn in 2008.

Then compare it to Hawthorn's three... 2008 beating Geelong who had had probably the most dominant season since Essendon 2000. 2013 taking down the most defensive and negating side the game had seen since Sydney 2005 by applying superior defensive pressure. 2014 taking down a team that had more salary cap concessions than players they'd taken from our own team over the past 5 years. The only GF loss in that time was to that same side and it was only lost through poor goal kicking and in the final few minutes.

yeah that also does have merit to it also you didn't have an 2009 type season we did... Both sets of fans should just be delighted that's the reality.
Agreed. You can make arguments for all of Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane as the greatest "dynasty" team in the modern era. For mine, Brisbane still wins this as a three-peat is unbelievable. Then it's a toss up between the Cats and Hawks. Both have three flags. It's a question of B2B and flags after a mini-rebuild vs a condensed and intense period of excellence, but no B2B. No real answer.

If Hawks when next year, there is no argument and they take Brisbane's mantle; clearly.

The fact Geelong had more Brownlow medalists, MVPs and AAs in that time counts against the impressiveness of their dynasty imo. We did ours without having the "best" player/s in the comp. Just a champion team.

Also look at who they won their premierships over... 2007 was a one horse race, Port drew the short straw. 2009 they beat perennial failures St Kilda thanks to a missed hit the post decision. 2011 was probably the only legitimate one but Pies were cooked. They couldn't even beat a young, inexperienced Hawthorn in 2008.

Then compare it to Hawthorn's three... 2008 beating Geelong who had had probably the most dominant season since Essendon 2000. 2013 taking down the most defensive and negating side the game had seen since Sydney 2005 by applying superior defensive pressure. 2014 taking down a team that had more salary cap concessions than players they'd taken from our own team over the past 5 years. The only GF loss in that time was to that same side and it was only lost through poor goal kicking and in the final few minutes.
Port had actually beaten Geelong a couple weekends before down at Geelong so was far from a 2 horse race, Geelong were just not accepting anything other than a win (similiar to 2014 for Hawthorn), 2009 they beat a team which recorded one of the best seasons ever in St Kilda in a classic - hit the post decision wasn't the deciding factor, Geelong controlled the last quarter. So not sure how you can argue that 2011 is the only "legitimate one" hardly impressive creative work you've done in hyping up Hawthorn and downplaying Geelong's efforts.

Port had actually beaten Geelong a couple weekends before down at Geelong so was far from a 2 horse race, Geelong were just not accepting anything other than a win (similiar to 2014 for Hawthorn), 2009 they beat a team which recorded one of the best seasons ever in St Kilda in a classic - hit the post decision wasn't the deciding factor, Geelong controlled the last quarter. So not sure how you can argue that 2011 is the only "legitimate one" hardly impressive creative work you've done in hyping up Hawthorn and downplaying Geelong's efforts.
Hook, line and not quite sinker. I was hoping you'd rage more... :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, there is now way in hell lake goes anywhere if he wants to continue. Has played arguably the biggest role in our back to back premierships with shut down roles on hawkins and pav in 13' and again hawkins, schultz and tippet in 14'. Would possibly already have a 3peat if we had him for 2012.
His importance should not be understated. Regardless of whether frawley comes in, brian stays no matter what.
The upside to being the best team and best club in the comp is that we can attract good players in. This could well get us Frawley and other players looking to get the most out of themselves.

The downside is that blokes who don't get in the finals side could seek opportunities elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise to see Lowden, Hallahan and Woodward leave (from all reports)
Good chance Lake will not be offered a contract. Definitely gone if Frawley comes.

Ando and Whitey will play next September.

In the end, you can quote all the meaningless stats you like but the only fact that matters is that since 07/08, Cats and Hawks have won three flags each. Why even bother comparing? They're both great teams who've done it the right way. And their eras may not be over yet...

Interesting quote from Voss? I think . He thought the first "back to back" at Brisbane was the toughest. The second was "easier" if that is possible

The motivation to see WhiteX up there receiving a premiership medal would alone be enough to drive the side to do it.
Spoke to WhiteX just before 2014 Granny. All is well and he is on track. The way his knee was operated on resulted in the chance of tendinitis if he came back late this season. My opinion is that Hawks are being very careful with such a valuable and respected player .Also I believe (obvious) that he always puts the team and his mates before himself

Interesting quote from Voss? I think . He thought the first "back to back" at Brisbane was the toughest. The second was "easier" if that is possible
When you think about it there is no other team in the league at the moment that has the depth of experience in winning prelims and GFs.

A lot of Geelong's experience has retired or moved on to other clubs, Sydney's has also had a few retire and with a few more likely to be gone by the start of next year, Freo were there the once but lost. Where as the bulk of this Hawks team has been to the GF for the last 3 years winning 2. Prelims for the last 4 years, winning 3 and dropping 1 and all were tight games. Even the young guys who haven't played much at AFL level yet are at least familiar with playing deep in finals at Box Hill.

If we make it to Grand Final day again next year and we play a further improved Port for example then we're going to have a very heavy advantage when it comes to GF experience. Some of the young Sydney blokes were over awed by the occasion on Saturday while our young blokes just got straight down to business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back