2015 Trade and Free Agency Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dangerfield is as committed to seeking success as he says he is, then with all due respect to the Cats (as they've obviously been near the summit for several years now) they wouldn't be top of my list for clubs I'd expect him to go to given the age profile of their list.

Even if hypothetically they go against their current way of structuring contracts, blow the Crows and every other team in the competition out of the water with a ridiculous offer and sign Dangerfield, he alone won't be enough to see them in Premiership contention in 2016 and beyond. The likes of Enright, Johnson, Bartel, Kelly, Lonergan, Mackie, McIntosh, Rivers, Stokes & Taylor will all be the wrong side of 30 and on the inevitable slide toward retirement come the end of next season - not to mention the very expensive fight they're going to have trying to hold onto Hawkins next season.

Even the most optimistic Cats supporter would concede that the players they have coming through are not in the same class as those veterans, and consequently they (like all clubs, even those who have experienced as much success as Geelong) will have to enter a period of rebuilding.

I think everyone has perhaps lazily assumed that Geelong would be the club of choice because he has family living in the area (like we did with Tippett and a move to QLD). But, even if that was the motivating factor, realistically he could be close to them living anywhere in Melbourne. So taking that out of the equation, are the Cats actually the best fit for Danger at this stage of his career given his motivations? Put it this way, assuming we don't match it (which I think we will, making this all moot anyway) and he decides he can't get that success that he craves here in Adelaide, I'd be more concerned about a $800,000 offer from the Gold Coast than a $1m offer from Geelong.

Last edited:

Mitchell maybe to blues if he dosent get a run
This will be Mitchell's first chance at a full pre-season, and I guarantee that he'll be getting plenty of games in 2015 barring injury. You'd be better off going after someone like Perris, who may conceivably have Jones, Heeney, Hewitt, Mills and Dunkley ahead of him in a year or two.

Tigers have massive salary cap space with not many players on big $$$ due to poor performance for so long and with 3 yrs in a row of record membership numbers, we have $$$ to burn and it's why we were so quiet in the trade period this year. Club has already indicated why we were quiet re trade period and have already said they will target elite mids next year. From what i'm hearing, we have already singled out Dangerfield and GWS midfielders. Nothing more than a rumor, but we will go hard at Dangerfield and 1 or 2 GWS midfielders . Dangerfield especially will be offered big $$$

Last edited:
Tigers have massive salary cap space after 3 yrs in a row of record membership numbers and it's why we were so quiet in the trade period this year. From what i'm hearing, we have already singled out Dangerfield and GWS midfielders. Nothing more than a rumor, but we will go hard at Dangerfield and 1 or 2 GWS midfielders. Not many players on big money at tigerland also due to poor on field performances for so long so we have $$$ to burn. Dangerfield especially will be offered big $$$
You do realized membership has nothing to do with Salary Cap, right?

I think Geelong will get Dangerfield. Dangerfield was a Cats fan as a kid and the Cats are also a successful side. Geelong also have salary cap space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins still have not signed on past 2015 for Geelong

All indications are that it is being worked on now. Result never expected this year but both want it done before round 1.

If it gets into the season then the worry levels will accumulate…

Go Catters

All indications are that it is being worked on now. Result never expected this year but both want it done before round 1.

Go Catters

Be a HUGE surprise IF Hawkins Leaves the Cats

Be a HUGE surprise IF Hawkins Leaves the Cats
Completely agree. I don't think he will leave either.

That said, the defense offers exhibit A… GAJ.

They are different of course but I can't 100% rule it out anymore and I felt the post deserved an honest answer. If Hawkins is not sorted by Wk 1 or 2, Id start to be concerned a bit more.

Much the same way Crows fans will be a few cogs tighter if Danger is still on the loose - and i;m potentially on the right side of that one.

Again, all cases are different but really hoping Hawk is sorted by Rd 1.

Go Catters

Can't see Hawkins leaving Geelong. They will go hard for Dangerfield so not sure if they need to free up some cap space but won't be letting him go.

With HMAC, Boris Enright, Rivers, Bundy and Varcoe either potentially gone or gone already, we will have more space than some might expect. And while some of these departures are Vet listed, we can still more more to the Vet list as well.

Whilst not knowing the exact numbers Id say they are probably better than one might expect with us.

Go Catters

Go Catters
Brisbane needs him the most, so if he doesn't sign. Brisbane will chuck loads of cash at hin

Acres has resigned for the Saints I believe. Has Nick Robertson extended at Brisbane?
Hypothetically, just to know how other supporters rate him. What would you give for Robertson?

From reading this thread I'm amazed at how it seems every club will not only be able to retain all their players, but also have cap space to make a move on some big name players.

Feel free to do the math down at KP for yourself. Works out pretty well.

GO Catters

Hypothetically, just to know how other supporters rate him. What would you give for Robertson?

Hard to say. I was gunning for him at 31 and know that WC were going to pounce with 43.

Realistically his value is a second rounder if he got up and walked out. But his value to Brisbane is greater than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back