List Mgmt. 2015 TRADE discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney and GWS are the ones who you think will have to squeeze some players out of the list and/or salary cap. Unless someone digs their heels in and wants out, better off using the draft picks while we appear to have blokes in place who know how to use them instead of throwing everything in the sink for a player.

Sydney and GWS are the ones who you think will have to squeeze some players out of the list and/or salary cap. Unless someone digs their heels in and wants out, better off using the draft picks while we appear to have blokes in place who know how to use them instead of throwing everything in the sink for a player.

Draft pick values fluctuate year to year, I'm unaware of next years depth and talent pool (when Lynch is out of contract) but if it was similar to this years i would have no hesitation at using our first rounder as part of a trade to get Lynch.

Random thoughts:

- Why wouldn't you throw the kitchen sink at a player like Lynch (24 in October when out of contract at the end of next year) a ready made young KPF if he wanted to come home? Sure GC can and could match the offer and we have what is looming as a Dangerfield 2.0 with the Cats vs Crows. He might end up staying but does that stop Freo throwing the kitchen sink at Hogan as well? Gotta be in it to win it.

- We would be sorted at KPF for many years to come. (With Lynch and Hogan or see doomsday scenario below)

- You can still draft quality midfielders with picks from 10-40 as has been proven. (so long as you have a recruiter without the initials BP)

- With our current crop of defenders we have a time to draft and develop our own KPD's in the VFL, plenty of these types we could pick off from other clubs as well, Caleb Marchbank is one who comes to mind from GWS.

- It would be really nice to have some security and a ready made replacement in the form of Lynch sorted at the end of 2016 if Hogan did * off home 2017 as well. We could work out a trade with Freo to get some quality players from them to work around Lynch without desperately taking any KPF prospect they have as a replacement (see Taberner) and hoping he works out.

KPF's are the hardest genuine guns to find, id be very happy for the club to go all in on someone like Lynch.

Draft pick values fluctuate year to year, I'm unaware of next years depth and talent pool (when Lynch is out of contract) but if it was similar to this years i would have no hesitation at using our first rounder as part of a trade to get Lynch.

Random thoughts:

- Why wouldn't you throw the kitchen sink at a player like Lynch (24 in October when out of contract at the end of next year) a ready made young KPF if he wanted to come home? Sure GC can and could match the offer and we have what is looming as a Dangerfield 2.0 with the Cats vs Crows. He might end up staying but does that stop Freo throwing the kitchen sink at Hogan as well? Gotta be in it to win it.

- We would be sorted at KPF for many years to come. (With Lynch and Hogan or see doomsday scenario below)

- You can still draft quality midfielders with picks from 10-40 as has been proven.

- With our current crop of defenders we have a time to draft and develop our own KPD's in the VFL, plenty of these types we could pick off from other clubs as well, Caleb Marchbank is one who comes to mind from GWS.

- It would be really nice to have some security and a ready made replacement in the form of Lynch sorted at the end of 2016 if Hogan did **** off home 2017 as well. We could work out a trade with Freo to get some quality players from them to work around Lynch without desperately taking any KPF prospect they have as a replacement (see Taberner) and hoping he works out.

KPF's are the hardest genuine guns to find, id be very happy for the club to go all in on someone like Lynch.

Key position forward is the one place id be willing to splash out on, because they are rare
But surely if Lynch is on the market Brisbane and Carlton will throw everything they have at him

Key position forward is the one place id be willing to splash out on, because they are rare
But surely if Lynch is on the market Brisbane and Carlton will throw everything they have at him

Yep, but suddenly we are a way damn more sexier than both of them aren't we? also, Carlton's books (contract wise) are a complete mess, they wouldn't have any more wiggle room when it comes to money than we would.

Lynch gives the old, 'I'm not dealing with anyone but Melbourne' ala Dangerfield. We play the game of who blinks first. If they want something decent in return they would deal with us, if they refuse he would go into the draft and end up at Carlton or Brisbane for nothing (and receive just the one compensation pick from the AFL).

Last edited:

Random thoughts:

- You can still draft quality midfielders with picks from 10-40 as has been proven. (so long as you have a recruiter without the initials BP)

- It would be really nice to have some security and a ready made replacement in the form of Lynch sorted at the end of 2016 if Hogan did **** off home 2017 as well. We could work out a trade with Freo to get some quality players from them to work around Lynch without desperately taking any KPF prospect they have as a replacement (see Taberner) and hoping he works out.

The only way we're getting Lynch this year is we offer something ridiculous like all our draft picks and a couple of good players. Eade isn't about to give up his best forward when he's just taken a top 8 contender to the very bottom of the ladder.

I don't have an issue with trading players in, but we need to be getting value for it. No more giving players away or overpaying for useless Chris Dawes or Lumumba-shaped spuds. If we can't find a good value trade, we don't trade. Take the picks to the draft - we've been good recently. Keep in mind that the recruiters could move on, go somewhere else, etc and maybe the next blokes turn out to be mediocre or useless? Use them while they're there.

Hence, Sydney and GWS are teams that will be open to pawning off a few players. Gold Coast aren't, as much as it'd be nice to get Prestia or Lynch.

The only way we're getting Lynch this year is we offer something ridiculous like all our draft picks and a couple of good players. Eade isn't about to give up his best forward when he's just taken a top 8 contender to the very bottom of the ladder.

I don't have an issue with trading players in, but we need to be getting value for it. No more giving players away or overpaying for useless Chris Dawes or Lumumba-shaped spuds. If we can't find a good value trade, we don't trade. Take the picks to the draft - we've been good recently. Keep in mind that the recruiters could move on, go somewhere else, etc and maybe the next blokes turn out to be mediocre or useless? Use them while they're there.

Hence, Sydney and GWS are teams that will be open to pawning off a few players. Gold Coast aren't, as much as it'd be nice to get Prestia or Lynch.

Im talking next year, when he's out of contract

Im talking next year, when he's out of contract

Ah. See what happens I guess. Not much point talking about blokes being out of contract 1.5 years out, unless you want to jump on the media beat up 'The 2018 Free Agent pool is huge!!!!!' capers.

Ah. See what happens I guess. Not much point talking about blokes being out of contract 1.5 years out, unless you want to jump on the media beat up 'The 2018 Free Agent pool is huge!!!!!' capers.

Truth be told I'm just scared stiff of losing Hogan, I'm already thinking two years ahead.

Truth be told I'm just scared stiff of losing Hogan, I'm already thinking two years ahead.

Never fear, if things look like going pear-shaped I'll buy a van with tinted windows and a couple of ski masks and we can organize a private discussion after training to talk about his future.

Never fear, if things look like going pear-shaped I'll buy a van with tinted windows and a couple of ski masks and we can organize a private discussion after training to talk about his future.

If its a warm day do we have to wear ski masks? Can we just paint our face instead? #racist

If its a warm day do we have to wear ski masks? Can we just paint our face instead? #racist

Yeah, that'll work. I'll pack some pretend spears as well so we're ready for trouble.

Spears? You just need a solid squirrel grip...

Just a bad camera angle. There's no way an upstanding citizen and paragon of virtue like Adam Goodes would resort to that sort of thing, or ten of the other snide grifter acts he looked like he was involved in on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandon Jack would be worth a look, I think. Busy half forward type who can knock goals in - could definitely use a few more players like that.

Brandon Jack would be worth a look, I think. Busy half forward type who can knock goals in - could definitely use a few more players like that.

He has ripping leg speed aswell , if he can develop like his brother it would be a really good pick up

Sincerely hope he stays a Dee.
I think your team has a very bright future after watching the Cats game.
You were bound to get some first rounders right eventually

He he, i like your style, applaud then the subtle little troll at the end. Give this man a raise. :thumbsu:

What are peoples thoughts on Steven Motlop? Rumour is he wants out of Geelong, is he someone we would be interested in?
Initaly I wasnt interested, always thought he was your cherry on top sort of player; but after his game against us, I was really impressed with his ability to win his own ball around the contests and break tackles. Is a nice kick and would add desperately needed leg speed. Definitely interested, although I think the asking price would be very hefty.

Initaly I wasnt interested, always thought he was your cherry on top sort of player; but after his game against us, I was really impressed with his ability to win his own ball around the contests and break tackles. Is a nice kick and would add desperately needed leg speed. Definitely interested, although I think the asking price would be very hefty.
Yeah was very good against us, got me thinking of how we turned Vince from an outside player into what he does for us now, who else in the league has potential to step up and Motlop is possibly that. I'd be interested in him, would certainly have to involve our first rounder pick I would think, weather or not we want to pay that I'm not sure.

Yeah was very good against us, got me thinking of how we turned Vince from an outside player into what he does for us now, who else in the league has potential to step up and Motlop is possibly that. I'd be interested in him, would certainly have to involve our first rounder pick I would think, weather or not we want to pay that I'm not sure.
Vinces transformation has been huge. Really turned himself into a gun midfielder. You'd assume we'd have a pick somewhere around 5-6. I don't pay any attention to upcoming drafts so I'm unsure of the real value that would hold this year. I think Geelong may want a bit of a sweetener on that, and I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay anymore than that. Is Motlop out of contract at the end of the year? I have a feeling they'll send Motlop to Adelaide if they don't have the room to get Dangerfield through FA.

Motlop would be huge for us - he's exactly what we need.

I wonder about his attitude (drinking a few days before a game for example) but there's no denying his brilliance as a footballer, and he's been consistently excellent for a year and a half or so.

Would I offer up our first pick for him? Maybe, only if he passes the 'no d@ck head' policy though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back