List Mgmt. 2015 TRADE discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would feel crook in the guts if we even considered taking $cully back.

Thats basically what it comes down to. I mean if he was the LeBron James of the AFL and we were Cleveland then yea, you could understand that….well, sorta. But that fact he isn't the best makes it an easy decision IMO. Im pretty sure the recruiting staff would see it in a simalr way anyway, they would know Scully is a 'dont even bother', all it would do is cause an unneeded up roar from the majority of members.

Last edited:
Thats basically what it comes down to. I mean if he was the LeBron James of the AFL and we were Cleveland then yea, you could understand that….well, sorta. But that fact he isn't the best makes it an easy decision IMO. Im pretty sure the recruiting staff would see it in a simalr way anyway, they would know Scully is a 'dont even bother', all it would do is cause an unneeded up roar from the majority of members.

And a lot of our players for that matter.

Going through the Giants' list...

IanW - what can you tell me about Golds and Wilson?

Golds was one of our seventeen year olds, and he's played six senior games. Wing/halfback type.

Wilson is a small who cant play midfield. Again, one of our seventeen year olds. Has played 23 games for 8 goals.

Bluntly, neither have come on, they needs a change of scenery, and assuming they want to go and will be guaranteed 2 year deals, if it was up to me they are yours for a pack of chips and a can of coke (assuming you end up ~12th and we end up ~6th, swap of picks in the 4th round stuff).

Would we be interested in Andrew Gaff and do we think a deal could be done?
gaff is almost a lock in that WC midfield and we would have to table a lot of money to get him, would rather throw the money at Shiel/WHE instead

Pass on Kelly. Whitfield I like. Needs to work more on his contested game though.

Still would rather just go all out on Shiel.
my thinking as well no need for more players we need to develop, lets string some wins together and get into the 8 on the backs of guns

If we let scully back i would be disgusted! he did a fabregas left when we needed him most... IMO tell him to * off

Why are people talking about Scully? Regardless of what happened in the past he's on a million a season for the next 2 years.

Why are people talking about Scully? Regardless of what happened in the past he's on a million a season for the next 2 years.
I doubt it. I would say he'd be on player minimum by now - the million a year was great when they had noone to pay the salary cap to in 2012 so they just threw it all to him.

I doubt it. I would say he'd be on player minimum by now - the million a year was great when they had noone to pay the salary cap to in 2012 so they just threw it all to him.
No way he'd be on the minimum, Yes player get their contracts front loaded but they don't drop all the way to the minimum, he'd still be on good coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way he'd be on the minimum, Yes player get their contracts front loaded but they don't drop all the way to the minimum, he'd still be on good coin.

I'd say he's currently on about what he's worth, which is 400k-ish.

Now he has some support, he's playing a lot better.

Its significant that theres some Melbourne supporters saying 'I wouldnt turn down $cully in a trade'.

I'd say he's currently on about what he's worth, which is 400k-ish.

Now he has some support, he's playing a lot better.

Its significant that theres some Melbourne supporters saying 'I wouldnt turn down $cully in a trade'.
Just did quick research from when he signed. $6m for 6 years was split like this

2012, $2M
2013, $2M
2014, $500k
2015, $500k
2016, $500k
2017, $500k

Whether or not that is 100% accurate I'm not sure but would seem quite likely.

Even so, yes he'd be good enough to get in the Melbourne side and have an important role, the $500k or even if it is $400ish that we would have to pay him Id rather use that money on the very top end talent, from GWS Shiel and Treloar, and other players like Prestia, Dangerfield, Sloane ext…

We are paying decent cash for middle road players already such as Vince, Cross, Dawes, Garlett and picked up enough guys that aren't getting games at other clubs like Newton, Michie and Riley. It's time we went hard at the very top.

Last edited:
If we let scully back i would be disgusted! he did a fabregas left when we needed him most... IMO tell him to **** off

Fabregas went back to his original club, so Scully coming back here would be "doing a Fabregas".

Scully's original deal was 6 million over the 6 years or whatever it was. He's not eligible for free agency and GWS would want to have as much spare cap space as possible to sign up the young talent, so whether he's on 60k a year now or $200k, he won't be able to jump ship as an unrestricted free agent due to the structuring of the deal. The Scully family accountant isn't going to be whinging over the vast proportion of a 6 million dollar contract coming up front, so the smart way for GWS to do it would be to have Scully on precisely the minimum by now. I reckon he would be.

Just did quick research from when he signed. $6m for 6 years was split like this

2012, $2M
2013, $2M
2014, $500k
2015, $500k
2016, $500k
2017, $500k

Whether or not that is 100% accurate I'm not sure but would seem quite likely.

Even so, yes he'd be good enough to get in the Melbourne side and have an important role, the $500k or even if it is $400ish that we would have to pay him Id rather use that money on the very top end talent, from GWS Shiel and Treloar, and other players like Prestia, Dangerfield, Sloane ext…

We are paying decent cash for middle road players already such as Vince, Cross, Dawes, Garlett and picked up enough guys that aren't getting games at other clubs like Newton, Michie and Riley. It's time we went hard at the very top.

Looks pretty credible to me.

With the position Melbourne is in, which is a decent-looking spine but an undermanned midfield, me, I'd be going after several good players rather than one superstar (*cough* Buddy *cough*).

Let Collingwood or whoever overpay Shiel, and quietly wander off with 3-4 upgrades, and then in two years go 'You know, we really robbed GWS on that Liam Sumner trade'.

Let Collingwood or whoever overpay Shiel, and quietly wander off with 3-4 upgrades, and then in two years go 'You know, we really robbed GWS on that Liam Sumner trade'.

So you think Whiley and Jaksch will turn out well for Carlton? Jaksch looks particularly poo to me, and Whiley barely noticeable.

I think the attraction is you can pick off a 10 year gun player. Not sure which one, but you guys have got so many that one or two are going to get squeezed out. Dipping into the barrel for a few possibly handy players isn't as enticing.

So you think Whiley and Jaksch will turn out well for Carlton? Jaksch looks particularly poo to me, and Whiley barely noticeable.

I think the attraction is you can pick off a 10 year gun player. Not sure which one, but you guys have got so many that one or two are going to get squeezed out. Dipping into the barrel for a few possibly handy players isn't as enticing.
Yeah we've already done the improve the role players bit, we need an All Australian type mid. Granted we've got a bunch of young guys who could get there but we need that top end guy now to make it easier for everyone.

I'd hold off analysing the worth of any player, given the rabble Carlton is at the moment.

It's not as enticing. But it wont cost you a top-6 pick, and it wont need you to overcommit on personal terms.

Doggies supporters are making excuses for Tom Boyd, and he's being paid like Jeremy Cameron for Dawes-level production. St Kilda supporters are rapt with Bruce for 48.

I know which I'd rather be.

Remember, if one of those guns is leaving - and I suspect Shiel is more likely to go than stay - it's all-in as far as personal terms goes.

Fabregas went back to his original club, so Scully coming back here would be "doing a Fabregas".

Not the best example Cannon82. He went back to Barcelona, where he played as a 14 year old in their junior squad or something.

But for his big move back, Arsenal had the first right of refusal when he wanted to come back to London. They wouldn't take him back because he'd left them previously, so he ended up at Chelsea.

Josh Kelly would be an ideal fit for our list I would have thought.
Imagine if we got him.

MFC 2015 1st rounder for GWS 2013 1st Rounder, Dom Tyson, Josh Kelly. It'd be unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back