Pick 2. Snelling
Pick 3. Rice
Pick 4. S. Motlop
Pick 5. M. Brown (Rookie)
Pick 6. Tanner Smith (Rookie)

Now you know how I know sfa about drafts. :confused:
In my day we had zones & you knew who you got. :cool:

Not a Westies supporter by any chance?

No need to give up draft picks at our stage of development, we need to bring in as much quality as we can over the next two drafts then spend the next two years after that developing them.

Aren't we still doing that under what I said? Talent next year is much much much better

Will definitely add another element to trade week. Just hope we don't see teams like Hawthorn and Sydney setting themselves up for another 5 years while Melbourne trades away their future...
Future trading ahuge NO for me
IMO This is eactly waht will happen.We have clubs with 10 plus million debt and no chance of breaking even without AFL assistance .
This is just another chance to mortgage the future with no responsibility for the presence.

I like Spencer, he's a really intelligent kid, but he's got other things going on at the minute and his form is reflecting that. Let's wait and see what happens.

I hope things get better for Spencer he's a nice kid. He seems to carry a pretty sad vibe to him, you just want to take him under your wing and give him a hand. He's a good guy, I really hope he can see the good things a life in footy could offer him. It's not something everyone wants. Tony Lockett hated the public life he was forced into.

I'd suggest that Rhys is quicker and has better running ability than Dunstan and isn't as stocky.

I agree, he is about as close to a "sure thing" as you'll get going into a draft. Like a Hugh Goddard, IMO, where something would have to go catastrophically awry for him to not have a really top-notch career. Just keeps getting it done to a high level week, after week, after week, year after year and doesn't rely on others to get the ball for him or anything like that.

I also wouldn't rule out Parish (or Francis) if we have pick 5 or 6, as weird and whacky things can happen and no-one expected Aish to slide to 7 in his year at this equivalent stage, for instance. Scharenberg (similar to Francis) another example of someone considered top 3 quality who slid to 6. There seem to be a fair few questionmarks about Francis, so it won't surprise me in the least if he slides a bit.

Really hoping someone (who is available to all) does a Macrae/Bontempelli and rockets up to top 6 range with a really strong end to the year. And/or that a club ahead of us takes Curnow, which seems very possible (perhaps Carlton will take him if Gold Coast and Brisbane take Weitering and Schache with the first two picks).

I worry that Parish is just too lightly framed, he reminds me of Tom Scully or at best Kelly. I like a bit more meat on them even at this age. Mathieson looks good but I keep hearing his disposal is s**t compared to the others in his range. If we want big accumulators with rough disposal I would rather Lovell with the second round pick. I haven't seen him live so will trust the recruiters who haven't got too many wrong recently though.

parish-farm-200.jpg

He has the skinny farm boy frame..... Just wait for another 5 preseasons to turn him into this

Nat-Fyfe-scores.jpg

Yes please ;)

I also wouldn't rule out Parish (or Francis) if we have pick 5 or 6, as weird and whacky things can happen and no-one expected Aish to slide to 7 in his year at this equivalent stage, for instance. Scharenberg (similar to Francis) another example of someone considered top 3 quality who slid to 6. There seem to be a fair few questionmarks about Francis, so it won't surprise me in the least if he slides a bit.
Absolutely. No matter what happens, remember that there will be one particular club using a pick before us:

blues-mascot.gif

Make no mistake, Parish could make it to pick 6.

A case can easily be made that every side picking before us has a major need to draft a tall.

Parish is very much in play for us.

Yup.

Carlton and Essendon will shape the top 6 IMO.

Sos is on record saying you need a quality key tall to build your team around. When at gws he loaded up with talls. I can imagine like most other teams Schache and Weitering would be at the top of his list but if Carlton finish outside the bottom two and those guys are gone then Carlton may look strongly at either Curnow or Weideman.

The Bombers are in real need of introducing another key forward to help Daniher. Currently they've attempted to use Carlisle but he's all but gone, and recently moved Hooker forward, who they need down back especially with Gwilt a stop-gap and Fletcher retiring. Curnow or Weideman at their pick a real possibility as well.

Gold Coast would be looking at the obvious two talls at 1-2 but also Francis who looks like a perfect fit for them.

Brisbane looks set on Schache and will get him I reckon. They've done everything they can to ensure they hold a pick to get their man and will continue to manipulate their draft choice.

Melbourne look like the team to steal Parish from us. Whilst they need another tall forward to help Hogan, they do have Dawes in the short term and Roos is on record saying he's not a fan of picking talls with early picks but he's also on record of favouring inside mids. Roos could favour Mathieson to Parish here....

I think the ladder stays pretty much the same with the only change Gold Coast moving out of the bottom two being replaced by the Blues.

Perfect scenario for us....

1. Brisbane - Schache
2. Carlton - Weitering
3. Gold Coast - Francis
4. Melbourne - Mathieson
5. Essendon - Weideman
6. St Kilda - Parish

Saying all that, I expect Melb to pick Parish, but we can hope!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mathieson is a gun, would be wrapt to get him, will play 200 games.

But what about in my above scenario if Ess choose Matho instead of Weideman? Who do we choose if Weitering, Schache, Francis, Parish, Matho and all the academy players are gone??? Gets tough then IMO.

But what about in my above scenario if Ess choose Matho instead of Weideman? Who do we choose if Weitering, Schache, Francis, Parish, Matho and all the academy players are gone??? Gets tough then IMO.

Welcome Darcy Tucker if it happens....don't understand being worried about it myself

Saints are in great position going forward .

As Trout has already spruiked we are becoming attractive destination going forward.

Yup.

Carlton and Essendon will shape the top 6 IMO.

Sos is on record saying you need a quality key tall to build your team around. When at gws he loaded up with talls. I can imagine like most other teams Schache and Weitering would be at the top of his list but if Carlton finish outside the bottom two and those guys are gone then Carlton may look strongly at either Curnow or Weideman.

The Bombers are in real need of introducing another key forward to help Daniher. Currently they've attempted to use Carlisle but he's all but gone, and recently moved Hooker forward, who they need down back especially with Gwilt a stop-gap and Fletcher retiring. Curnow or Weideman at their pick a real possibility as well.

Gold Coast would be looking at the obvious two talls at 1-2 but also Francis who looks like a perfect fit for them.

Brisbane looks set on Schache and will get him I reckon. They've done everything they can to ensure they hold a pick to get their man and will continue to manipulate their draft choice.

Melbourne look like the team to steal Parish from us. Whilst they need another tall forward to help Hogan, they do have Dawes in the short term and Roos is on record saying he's not a fan of picking talls with early picks but he's also on record of favouring inside mids. Roos could favour Mathieson to Parish here....

I think the ladder stays pretty much the same with the only change Gold Coast moving out of the bottom two being replaced by the Blues.

Perfect scenario for us....

1. Brisbane - Schache
2. Carlton - Weitering
3. Gold Coast - Francis
4. Melbourne - Mathieson
5. Essendon - Weideman
6. St Kilda - Parish

Saying all that, I expect Melb to pick Parish, but we can hope!

Melbourne is also a club that likes to recruit players that have been at other clubs .

Roo's likes kids who have done apprenticeship elsewhere.

Think there will be surprise or 2 there always is..combine to come and trade week will make things interesting

Melbourne is also a club that likes to recruit players that have been at other clubs .

Think there will be surprise or 2 there always is..combine to come and trade week will make things interesting

Yea wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Melb trade their first. We could see them trading their first for someone like Prestia from Gold Coast!

For example one team already has heaps of midfielders (GWS) they might not bid we don't know for sure.
But they need key defenders ... Eg Collins will be around their pick

All Hopper / Kennedy give them is more mids .

Lots of things to happen .

So what sought of player for say Carlton and their pick for ours

If Blues had pick 3 and we had pick 6 they'd want a Dunstan, Acres, Newnes. We wouldn't be prepared to give up the player required to get a deal like that done.
I'm still very happy to be picking at 5 or 6, there's a couple of players that would be available there that we really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back