dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
We are overdue for a 2015 version - I suppose that is indicative of the feeling at the club after the first three rounds, that we need to keep digging to find talent.

Here is what I'm thinking at this very early stage:

Prediction: 9 wins - 13th place.

Draft Selections: 6, 24, 42, 60, 78

Trade: 6, 24 & 42 to GWS for Coniglio, 22 & 40

Probably slight overs but this is what it would take to get the deal done. I'm still iffy on Coniglio but I am pretty confident he will come to West Coast.

Trade: 22 & 40 to Geelong for Jansen & 27

Pretty unlikely but I like Jansen and he fits a need. Ideally I'd like to offer this trade to Brisbane for Nick Robertson but he has extended his contract (as has Blake Acres).

FA: Scott Selwood - I really don't think Selwood is going anywhere but if he did we could end up with either pick 7 or 25. You would think 7 is a bit much but he did win a B&F the year before last and this value determining system is a bit of a lottery.

Delist:

Waters
Main
Tunbridge
Butler
Hill
Lucas (rookie)

Upgrade:

Newman
Powell

Draft:

27: Mitch Antonio/HBF
60: KPD
78: Jordan Matera (F/S)
Rookie: Ruck

We are overdue for a 2015 version - I suppose that is indicative of the feeling at the club after the first three rounds, that we need to keep digging to find talent.

Here is what I'm thinking at this very early stage:

Prediction: 9 wins - 13th place.

Draft Selections: 6, 24, 42, 60, 78

Trade: 6, 24 & 42 to GWS for Coniglio, 22 & 40

Probably slight overs but this is what it would take to get the deal done. I'm still iffy on Coniglio but I am pretty confident he will come to West Coast.

Trade: 22 & 40 to Geelong for Jansen & 27

Pretty unlikely but I like Jansen and he fits a need. Ideally I'd like to offer this trade to Brisbane for Nick Robertson but he has extended his contract (as has Blake Acres).

FA: Scott Selwood - I really don't think Selwood is going anywhere but if he did we could end up with either pick 7 or 25. You would think 7 is a bit much but he did win a B&F the year before last and this value determining system is a bit of a lottery.

Delist:

Waters
Main
Tunbridge
Butler
Hill
Lucas (rookie)

Upgrade:

Newman
Powell

Draft:

27: Mitch Antonio/HBF
60: KPD
78: Jordan Matera (F/S)
Rookie: Ruck
Hey nice work. If we get pick 7 as FA for Selwood then I wouldnt mind picking up Greg Clark or Ah Chee if they are available. Jansen hasnt been lighting the world on fire in the AFL yet, I reckon 22 & 40 for him and 27 might be overs. I'll be watching him, Acres, Marsh and Robertson this season. Im iffy on Coniglio as well, Im just not sure if he's the guy that we want to throw the kitchen sink at this year. Ideally we would pick up a player or two in trades and keep our first rounder.

Straight swap, Masten for Cognilio (keep the first rounder). If needed (which is likely) throw in the second/third rounder.

Straight swap, Masten for Cognilio (keep the first rounder). If needed (which is likely) throw in the second/third rounder.
If you could get Coniglio for Masten and a third rounder you'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

There is no way in the world GWS are going to take Masten for Coniglio - why don't we offer them McInnes for Cam McCarthy while we're at it.

Can anyone remember why Melbourne got pick 3 for Frawley? From a straight up comparison perspective we should get a rnd 1 pick for Sellwood if he moves on but I need to look more into it.

Taken from the Contracts thread:

Contracted until the end of 2015 (6):
Scott Selwood - Signed a 3-year contract (2013, 2014, 2015) in April 2012.
Sharrod Wellingham - Signed a 3-year contract (2013, 2014, 2015) in October 2012.
Beau Waters – Signed a 2-year contract (2014, 2015) in May 2013.
Xavier Ellis - Triggered an extension to his contract (2015) in August 2014
Josh Hill - Signed a 1-year contract (2015), in September 2014.
Sam Butler – Signed a 1-year contract (2015) in September 2014.

Unknown Contracts (8):
Jamie Cripps -
Simon Tunbridge -
Dominic Sheed - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Malcom Karpany - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Dylan Main - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Tom Barrass - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Patrick McGinnity - Signed a contract in August 2014
Fraser McInnes - Signed a contract in August 2014

Selwood: encourage FA
Wellingham: delist
Waters: retired
Ellis: delist
Hill: keep
Butler: delist
Cripps: keep
Tunbridge: keep
Sheed: keep
Karpany: delist
Main: delist
Barrass: keep
McGinnity: delist
McInnes: keep

That's 8 gone. Be interesting to see what ends up happening.

Can anyone remember why Melbourne got pick 3 for Frawley? From a straight up comparison perspective we should get a rnd 1 pick for Sellwood if he moves on but I need to look more into it.
The AFL haven't released the full formula but length and value of contract are supposedly key areas that determine the pick. Also personal achievements factor as well.

Melbourne got a second round pick for Sylvia who only got about 350k per year for 3 years from Freo. Saints got a second rounder for Dal Santo as well.

Taken from the Contracts thread:

Contracted until the end of 2015 (6):
Scott Selwood - Signed a 3-year contract (2013, 2014, 2015) in April 2012.
Sharrod Wellingham - Signed a 3-year contract (2013, 2014, 2015) in October 2012.
Beau Waters – Signed a 2-year contract (2014, 2015) in May 2013.
Xavier Ellis - Triggered an extension to his contract (2015) in August 2014
Josh Hill - Signed a 1-year contract (2015), in September 2014.
Sam Butler – Signed a 1-year contract (2015) in September 2014.

Unknown Contracts (8):
Jamie Cripps -
Simon Tunbridge -
Dominic Sheed - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Malcom Karpany - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Dylan Main - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Tom Barrass - Probably signed for 2 years (2014, 2015) when drafted (No source)
Patrick McGinnity - Signed a contract in August 2014
Fraser McInnes - Signed a contract in August 2014

Selwood: encourage FA
Wellingham: delist
Waters: retired
Ellis: delist
Hill: keep
Butler: delist
Cripps: keep
Tunbridge: keep
Sheed: keep
Karpany: delist
Main: delist
Barrass: keep
McGinnity: delist
McInnes: keep

That's 8 gone. Be interesting to see what ends up happening.
Reckon Ellis might stay if he plays 10-15 games in the second half of the season.

all this speculation about trading ignores the elephant in the room

these kids can see as well as anyone that effort doesnt get rewarded and poor disposal and no defensive skills do

they can see young up and coming mids being played at half back or half forward and barely getting a chance at the ball drop - they can see them smashing it in the wafl and never getting a chance in the seniors - and if they cant - THEIR MANAGERS CAN - how many other players does eberts manager represent? do you think a young /fa mid who wants to move clubs is going to be advised TO got to west coast - or AGAINST it?

simmo out of one corner of his mouth rues turnovers that cost us a game - and then gives aflca votes to the turnover merchant.

and given what transpired last year awards wise - nope - if i were a player - or a player manager - west coast would be pretty low on my list of clubs to go to - you would have to have grown up a west coast supporter to even entertain it.

now if there is a guy like shep who was touted as a mid - is being played as a mid - but was just a lot happier on a hbf............. thats who we need to target - cos thats the only player who will f#$king well come till curlylocks goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'd be a waste of time. He's been given the easiest ride possible since he arrived at the club and hasn't been able to cope.
He offers experience and mentoring to what is becoming a younger squad overall. He is also far better than Butler when fit. I'd be prepared to give him another year.

He offers experience and mentoring to what is becoming a younger squad overall. He is also far better than Butler when fit. I'd be prepared to give him another year.
He's never fit and he's not reliable to play out a full match. His kicking is also way overrated.

He's a tough nut, smart footy player and by the looks of things a great bloke, but he has no value to us. He reminds me of the Taylor/Merenda/Collica types we had in 2000

delist/retire/FA
butler-I think he brings stability to the defence but if ellis is up and about and the emergence of nelson he is surplus
mcginnity-tries hard,so skill.i think he is ok as a defensive forward but WE aren't good enough to have another poo player out on the ground
karpany-injured and underwhelming.
main-Don't know too much about him other than he hasn't done too much.might be worth a rookie spot
waters
lucas-has to really show something
Selwood-has been great for the club but if he wants to go take whatever we get and run with it.his best days are well behind him

on notice
colledge
Tunbridge
these 2 were our big hope in the "big bodied" midfielder possie.Tunbridge hasn't shown anything to suggest he could move into the midfield.he could be handy as a High half forward tho but his time is running out.Colledge can rack up the numbers in the wafl but can he convert that to the afl.probably too slow and not damaging enough.we have priddis already for that.due to lack of depth both these guys should be around next season
would have Mcinnes on here too if we had any depth at KPF.Next season will be his last

I would chase rance hard this offseason.Will allow us to be more proactive to our most glaring need-the midfield.getting rance will make our forward line better -McGovern
target all the GWS/GG mids who are west aussies or just on the cusp of the 22.i think some of the GG mids might want out under eades regime
use schofield or brown in any trade discussions,obviously brown wont have much currency but we wont be much used to us if we get rance either.
there would be a heap of our players that should be told that they could be put on the trade table.very few areintergral to our future success

We would probably get second round pick for Selwood , ..... ie after our second pick meaning pick 25 .

Melbourne got a first round pick after there first pick # 2 so they get #3

EDIT End of First Round would be better # 19

Last edited:
He's never fit and he's not reliable to play out a full match. His kicking is also way overrated.

He's a tough nut, smart footy player and by the looks of things a great bloke, but he has no value to us. He reminds me of the Taylor/Merenda/Collica types we had in 2000
His kicking isnt way overrated, I don't agree. His skills are better than the majority of people in the team. He played 17 games last year. If we are looking to clean house then we are going to need to keep senior players of worth. He's also only 27. I don't think he's a list clogger/dodgy trade like Merenda or Taylor. The other thing Ellis brings is a knowledge of Hawthorn's culture and game plan. He probably provides a lot to Simpson amongst the playing group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back